dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Pro Addict

I agree with Spacimus.. We all tend to forget how challenging and unnerving riding in the dirt is at first.. I recall hesitating at obstacles on the trail often when I was green; be it a rut or a fallen stick (not even a log). It's a combination of not knowing how the bike will react, a lack of skill/experience, which ultimately leads to confidence.

While many times more power will get you out of trouble.. it can also put you into situations that spell trouble much faster too.

Nothing better to sharpen the skills up than riding a heavy under powered bike in sloppy conditions! Will teach you all you need to know about body position, clutch control and momentum.
Old 2 Days Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by splints View Post
agreed but you said it yourself spac...many many years...depth of knowledge comes from riding bikes from a kid...not 1-2 years on a farm bike..., all i reckon grehus wants to do is not injure himself....may as well learn on the bike that could do it...ffs if a dr lands on you you are a pancake

Thatís exactly it. Iím not looking to tear up a track or take on the impossible, but I want to take my 690 adventure riding off tarmac and not kill my self doing it and not be scared the entire time.
Old 1 Day Ago
dbw Pro Legend

mate, I dunno but if the 690 is anything like to 350s stuck together you have yourself a &^%^$#en absolute beast on your hands, I have a 350 and it can do more than I am capable of.... which makes me ask why/how did you get it?
Did someone leave it to you in a will....just kidding...

anyway...as I said take longer to learn to ride that....1-2 years on tractors wont count for much ...well it will sort of, but you will be starting again anyway when you hop on the 690.
Old 1 Day Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by splints View Post
mate, I dunno but if the 690 is anything like to 350s stuck together you have yourself a &^%^$#en absolute beast on your hands, I have a 350 and it can do more than I am capable of.... which makes me ask why/how did you get it?

Did someone leave it to you in a will....just kidding...

anyway...as I said take longer to learn to ride that....1-2 years on tractors wont count for much ...well it will sort of, but you will be starting again anyway when you hop on the 690.

I bought it to get into adventure riding, as I wanted a change from the bike I had. Got it at a great price with all the accessories on it so it was hard to pass up.

Iíve been playing around on hard pack stuff and forestry trails on it and my confidence is definitely improving. Each time the back steps out I panic a little less as it comes back in. I realise that itís just hours in the saddle so to speak, but just thought that a 250 might drop the amount of hours I needed before feeling confident to tackle something like Brisbane to Sydney all off road.
Old 1 Day Ago
DBW Dweller

That TTR 250 I linked earlier too found out has sat unused for a year. Seller got a roadworthy and had a few bits like carby clean and indicators replaced on the invoice.
Old 1 Day Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Stop procrastinating and get it.

Old 1 Day Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman280 View Post
Stop procrastinating and get it.
Agreed!
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*