dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro

Can 2t suspension be tuned to give 4t front end stability/confidence?

Attended the Transmoto 6hr today, jeez these guys put on a great event.

Track was tough with lots of off camber corners and roots/rocks. I rode my Beta 300rr for the first two laps and then took a mates KX450 out. Apart from the fact that it is setup for him 10kg heavier, and its WAY more power than I can handle the thing turned in a lot better and gave me heaps more confidence in the (want to say bull dust but sure its not) dusty corners.

Can you ever get the same turn in confidence (I know it will never be as planted) with a 2t?
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Bikes have infinite tuneability , to adjust to
your riding style.
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenaz View Post
Attended the Transmoto 6hr today, jeez these guys put on a great event.

Track was tough with lots of off camber corners and roots/rocks. I rode my Beta 300rr for the first two laps and then took a mates KX450 out. Apart from the fact that it is setup for him 10kg heavier, and its WAY more power than I can handle the thing turned in a lot better and gave me heaps more confidence in the (want to say bull dust but sure its not) dusty corners.

Can you ever get the same turn in confidence (I know it will never be as planted) with a 2t?
Unless you tell me you had the clutch in whenever you were off the the throttle what you're feeling is the balance that comes from the extra deccel that a 4t provides, the backs almost always driving or retarding, that's a significant change to chassis balance.

There's a reason speedway bikes get away with no brakes, you wouldn't want to be doing that with a 2 stroke.

P.S...You can't quite mimic it by dragging the rear brake, different force coupling.
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom68 View Post
Unless you tell me you had the clutch in whenever you were off the the throttle what you're feeling is the balance that comes from the extra deccel that a 4t provides, the backs almost always driving or retarding, that's a significant change to chassis balance.

There's a reason speedway bikes get away with no brakes, you wouldn't want to be doing that with a 2 stroke.

P.S...You can't quite mimic it by dragging the rear brake, different force coupling.
Interesting. I get the while traction via reciprocating mass thing, I had a 500 exc before the 300rr and that thing used to just plow through the chunder.

There was just a dozen guys or so on 2t's that just seemed to have incredible corner speed & stability. Must have just been a higher level of skill and a larger set of gonads!!!
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Interesting. I get the while traction via reciprocating mass thing, I had a 500 exc before the 300rr and that thing used to just plow through the chunder.

There was just a dozen guys or so on 2t's that just seemed to have incredible corner speed & stability. Must have just been a higher level of skill and a larger set of gonads!!!
Reciprocating mass is just vibration, somewhat balanced on 4 strokes.
Moment of inertia (stabilizing force) is greater on 2t's, heavy long stroke cranks.
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Could have better suspension setup than you had to.

2t 4t lighter weights have the potential to corner faster on flat surfaces, berms and ruts change that though.
Old 4 Days Ago
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Having moved from the big Beta 498RR 4T to the KTM 300EXC 2T I can appreciate what you're talking about. on the 4T you cna just bulldoze your way through rocks and roots and things with confidence, but the same stuff on the 2T is pretty unnerving with the front end deflecting and bouncing a lot easier.

I put an XRC steering dampener on and that has helped a ton. I am now playing around with the valving to get the front end a little more plush and less prone to deflecting. It can definitely be improved, but I am not sure the laws of physics will ever let it be as sure-footed as the heavier 4T. Just like a 4T can never be made ot feel as light and flickable as a 2T.
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
Having moved from the big Beta 498RR 4T to the KTM 300EXC 2T I can appreciate what you're talking about. on the 4T you cna just bulldoze your way through rocks and roots and things with confidence, but the same stuff on the 2T is pretty unnerving with the front end deflecting and bouncing a lot easier.

I put an XRC steering dampener on and that has helped a ton. I am now playing around with the valving to get the front end a little more plush and less prone to deflecting. It can definitely be improved, but I am not sure the laws of physics will ever let it be as sure-footed as the heavier 4T. Just like a 4T can never be made ot feel as light and flickable as a 2T.
just add weight to your 2t/flywheels also=4t
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Drop your forks down to flush with the top of the tripple clamps and the front end will feel much more planted, but less flickable.

It's worth experimenting with to find the right compromise, it costs nothing but a little time.

"Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."John 3:5
"Not one dyno run here has seen a 450 4T hit 8HP or a 500-530cc 4T hit 10HP at 3000rpm, EVERY KTM300 pull is over 12HP at the same revs." Expert Tuner
Current bike: 2013 Berg 300. Previous: 2006 KTM 300, 2004 KTM 250 EXC, Husky TE 350, DT 200, KDX 200, XT 200, XR 80, XR 75, RM 50
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Might as well face up to the facts Ian.....four strokes are better