dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 4 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
no its not, gorilla tape is fine like you said, it just to protect the tube from spoke nuts
Cheers

R.I.P Ronnie Neill 2/12/62 - 31/1/09

"Lifes short, ride lots"
Current Bikes
2004 Honda XR650R, 2013 KTM 300 EXC, 2007 DRZ400, 2012 Sherco 250 Trials, 2003 Postie,
Past Bikes
KTM 950 ADV, DR650, XR600, XR500 X 2, WR250F, Suzi RM125S, Suzi RM400, 77 RM250B, Yam TY250, Honda TL250, Honda TL125, Beta 250,Yam RT1 360 about 3, Yam DT125A, Jawa 500 Speedway, Yam IT175, Honda QA50, Suzuki PE 250 T, Honda 400 4 (roadie), Plus a few I've forgotten, or would rather forget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyam View Post
In fact I think if it wasn't for the guys that were faster than us we would have won.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

I used a normal good quality gaffa tape before and it worked fine. Cutting the width down is a bit fiddly but i doesn't take to long. The tubliss tape does vary sometimes from red to black and also the tape type itself but its good quality and easy to apply. I ordered some genuine tubliss tape to replace the gaffa but the gaffa is fine. Once its fitted it just really sits there and doesn't move.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Just thrown tubliss out of the front and gone back to a mousse. Just had enough of losing pressure and not sealing. Final straw was puncturing the bladder.

Rear has a slow leak that no amount of re-seating seems to fix. Stays up for a ride, but still gives me the irrits. Probably lose it after this tyre, too.

Still got tubliss in the second bike, great seal on both tyres. Just the luck of the draw, it seems..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
ErmmXR400
'Oh God knows EC250
And about a hundred road bikes, mostly Yamahas for some reason.

Owner of BikeAssist Australia - accident replacement motorcycles and rentals
Old 4 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluffie View Post
I used a normal good quality gaffa tape before and it worked fine. Cutting the width down is a bit fiddly but i doesn't take to long. The tubliss tape does vary sometimes from red to black and also the tape type itself but its good quality and easy to apply. I ordered some genuine tubliss tape to replace the gaffa but the gaffa is fine. Once its fitted it just really sits there and doesn't move.
I found gaffa tape too wide and this Gorilla stuff is just the right width and thick, it's good stuff.

R.I.P Ronnie Neill 2/12/62 - 31/1/09

"Lifes short, ride lots"
Current Bikes
2004 Honda XR650R, 2013 KTM 300 EXC, 2007 DRZ400, 2012 Sherco 250 Trials, 2003 Postie,
Past Bikes
KTM 950 ADV, DR650, XR600, XR500 X 2, WR250F, Suzi RM125S, Suzi RM400, 77 RM250B, Yam TY250, Honda TL250, Honda TL125, Beta 250,Yam RT1 360 about 3, Yam DT125A, Jawa 500 Speedway, Yam IT175, Honda QA50, Suzuki PE 250 T, Honda 400 4 (roadie), Plus a few I've forgotten, or would rather forget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyam View Post
In fact I think if it wasn't for the guys that were faster than us we would have won.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Expert

As someone mentioned, I think it helps prevent tyre punctures from the inside if we sand the sharp edges off the outer face on the Tubliss rim lock metal. Round those edges and sand or even polish it smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big orse View Post
Try the Bridgestone x30s. Dunlop geomax and Michelins are just too thin for tubliss. X30s will still get holes but have a much stronger carcass and seal nice with a plug and slime.
I've also had good success with the X30 front tyre with Tubliss. I'm using the fat 90/100 size. Usually 9 to 10 psi. The X30 front is a bit vague at times. I guess due to the stiffness. But good enough grip/control and very durable.

The Dunlop AT81F also works fine for me with Tubliss. Stiff sidewalls. It's my wet weather tyre+wheel. Also at 10 PSI.

Pirellis have thin beads and never seal.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggchris View Post
Still got tubliss in the second bike, great seal on both tyres. Just the luck of the draw, it seems..
Do you trim the little tits off the sides of the red Tubliss liner before installation? I think those can cause slow leaks. Also any nick to the inside of the tyre bead can cause a leak. During assembly I lube the sides of the liner and inside of the bead with slime. Works well, but be super careful with the tyre levers to avoid damage the bead.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by numroe View Post
Do you trim the little tits off the sides of the red Tubliss liner before installation? I think those can cause slow leaks. Also any nick to the inside of the tyre bead can cause a leak. During assembly I lube the sides of the liner and inside of the bead with slime. Works well, but be super careful with the tyre levers to avoid damage the bead.
The big variation is in the 'finish' on the inside of the tyre. Some work better than others.

I'm in the trade - I've fitted plenty of them. I'm fed up of a product I can't trust. It's a good product, but the results can't be predicted.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
ErmmXR400
'Oh God knows EC250
And about a hundred road bikes, mostly Yamahas for some reason.

Owner of BikeAssist Australia - accident replacement motorcycles and rentals
Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by numroe View Post

This is precisely how I install Tubliss and it has worked well for me for a number of years. I also spend the extra time to snip the little 'tits' off the Tubliss carcass before installation although I don't really know if it helps or not.
'14 BMW R1200GS
'74 Norton Commando