dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Photos

Photos Pics of members, their bikes etc.....

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-07-2017
Phildo's Avatar
Phildo Phildo is offline
dbw Factory Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Perth
Posts: 887
It doesn't make sense.

Personal users won't pay it, and will move elsewhere straight away.

Commercial users will pay the $US399 for a year, but then start moving their stuff elsewhere.

Within a year or two, Photobucket would have just about zero revenue and then close down completely.

I've got somewhere around 5,700 images on there, a lot of which are linked to various threads and forums (eg http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?t=119371)

Because my photos use too much data bandwidth I've had to pay $US2.99/month for the last few years, so for now my photos are still appearing on web sites. Lucky me.

I've spent a shitload of hours documenting how to do jobs on certain cars. Trying to share knowledge, help other people, etc.

It always pissed me off how people would post photos and info on forums, but then later delete the photos. I figured I'd make my stuff last forever. So much for that.

I keep waiting for an announcement from Photobucket along the lines of, "ha ha, had ya fooled, back to normal now..."
__________________
2012 KTM250EXC-F
2008 Aprilia SXV550

One owner. Only driven gently on Sundays. Sold to best offer. First to see will buy. Reward offered for safe return. Coming soon to a cinema near you. Available for a limited time only.

My waterbed broke this morning. Oh, I don't have a waterbed. Bugger.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-07-2017
Tom68's Avatar
Tom68 Tom68 is offline
dbw Pro Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Melbournes North West Suburbs
Posts: 10,295
Always seemed to good to be true, then the ads and redirects got ridiculous but still usable.

The Internet really is very fickle, mod's start deleting posts on forums, google buys youtube and ties your account up in knots.

How many million unused fkd up Gmail accounts must there be with googles nobody to slap a pie in their face model.

Google search better be careful, they have so many paid advertisers coming up in search results now, if it gets worse we'll be looking for alternatives.

Thanks Photobucket.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-07-2017
Jakobi's Avatar
Jakobi Jakobi is online now
dbw Pro Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
It doesn't make sense.

Personal users won't pay it, and will move elsewhere straight away.

Commercial users will pay the $US399 for a year, but then start moving their stuff elsewhere.

Within a year or two, Photobucket would have just about zero revenue and then close down completely.

I've got somewhere around 5,700 images on there, a lot of which are linked to various threads and forums (eg http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?t=119371)

Because my photos use too much data bandwidth I've had to pay $US2.99/month for the last few years, so for now my photos are still appearing on web sites. Lucky me.

I've spent a shitload of hours documenting how to do jobs on certain cars. Trying to share knowledge, help other people, etc.

It always pissed me off how people would post photos and info on forums, but then later delete the photos. I figured I'd make my stuff last forever. So much for that.

I keep waiting for an announcement from Photobucket along the lines of, "ha ha, had ya fooled, back to normal now..."
I've appreciated your posts on various forums too mate!

Good thing is that the links to the images are still live. It won't be long until they stop showing on 3rd party sites though

Like you, I've done some pretty thorough threads with images along the way. Not so much for myself, but to share the experiences and help others learn through my learning.

What can you do though? I sure won't be paying any hefty premium, nor will I really bother to go through every thread I've made and update the links.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-07-2017
EdgyAl's Avatar
EdgyAl EdgyAl is offline
Ready and lubricated.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,429
Test, still works for me





Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-07-2017
Tom68's Avatar
Tom68 Tom68 is offline
dbw Pro Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Melbournes North West Suburbs
Posts: 10,295
I've never used an ad-blocker, the very nature of the service seems dodgy to me.

http://www.9news.com/money/business/...says/454952304
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-07-2017
dvorak dvorak is offline
DBW Clubman
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Newcastle.
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom68 View Post
I've never used an ad-blocker, the very nature of the service seems dodgy to me.
How so? it's just some (fairly basic) software that scans pages as you load them, preventing certain things being displayed per a blacklist. It's not really a 'service' except in the sense that the blacklists are automatically updated.

In my mind online advertisers have just brought it upon themselves. It started with annoying 'pop up' ads that created new browser windows. For almost 20 years browsers have had 'popup blockers' that are effectively ad blocking tools. So modern day ad blockers are just an evolution of that.

The real losers are sites that use ads responsibly. But the reality is there is not alot of money in advertising on your site (unless you are in the porn industry), and it's still largely dependent on people actually clicking on the links.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi
What can you do though? I sure won't be paying any hefty premium, nor will I really bother to go through every thread I've made and update the links.
For someone in Phildo's position the best setup is to have your own registered domain name, and pay for website hosting. With photobucket you are paying for a lot of stuff you probably don't use, like the online photo editing tools. All that stuff you can do for free on your computer, and instead just pay the hosting fees. With your own domain you can chop and change hosts as often as you like without affecting the links on all the sites you post.
It will obviously cost money, but that is the reality. Is it worth a couple of hundred bucks a year to keep all your content secure online?
__________________
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment, and is designed for the special use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-07-2017
Jakobi's Avatar
Jakobi Jakobi is online now
dbw Pro Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvorak View Post
For someone in Phildo's position the best setup is to have your own registered domain name, and pay for website hosting. With photobucket you are paying for a lot of stuff you probably don't use, like the online photo editing tools. All that stuff you can do for free on your computer, and instead just pay the hosting fees. With your own domain you can chop and change hosts as often as you like without affecting the links on all the sites you post.
It will obviously cost money, but that is the reality. Is it worth a couple of hundred bucks a year to keep all your content secure online?
No way...

Of course that is the logical way forward. My comment of what can you do, was in direct relation to photobuckets actions. Ie, they have made their decision and there is nothing we can do to influence their actions now.

I think a lot of people who are serious about hosting images will go the route you mentioned. It makes financial sense, and you don't need to be all that savvy to upload and link back to a server of your own.

The real issue is that most of us have used the photobucket to link images across multiple forums, over many years. It would be quite a significant task to go back through all the previous posts and update the url on them all. More work than most will be bothered to do. If it were a commercial product then it's totally different, but my understanding is that Phildo simply likes contributing to particular forums with write ups and images that help people make sense of things they otherwise wouldn't...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-07-2017
dvorak dvorak is offline
DBW Clubman
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Newcastle.
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post

The real issue is that most of us have used the photobucket to link images across multiple forums, over many years. It would be quite a significant task to go back through all the previous posts and update the url on them all. More work than most will be bothered to do. If it were a commercial product then it's totally different, but my understanding is that Phildo simply likes contributing to particular forums with write ups and images that help people make sense of things they otherwise wouldn't...
At the end of the day it's a free service, you get what you pay for. In this case you not only get nothing, but they are giving you a free kick in the nuts as a parting gift.

Even paid services do the same thing, Up the price, or kick you out. Or they simply disappear. So that's why I suggest keeping hosting and domain names separate.

As much as it might suck, it's a case of live and learn.

Back in the day I had my own server running. For email and some web hosting. That is another option now that (some parts) of australia have access to decent internet. But of course that comes with it's own risks. I ran Win2k/IIS and I remember being infected by Code Red. Laughs all round.
__________________
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment, and is designed for the special use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and lunatics."

Last edited by dvorak; 09-07-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-07-2017
Tom68's Avatar
Tom68 Tom68 is offline
dbw Pro Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Melbournes North West Suburbs
Posts: 10,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvorak View Post
How so? it's just some (fairly basic) software that scans pages as you load them, preventing certain things being displayed per a blacklist. It's not really a 'service' except in the sense that the blacklists are automatically updated.

In my mind online advertisers have just brought it upon themselves. .
Only because the ads are what makes the hosting a no cost option to us.

Photobucket was going to lose users anyway just from the sheer quantity of ads they were throwing at us.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-07-2017
Sideshow's Avatar
Sideshow Sideshow is offline
dbw Factory Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sunshine coast
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyAl View Post
Test, still works for me





Nope. Time's up!
__________________
XL70. YZ80. DT250. KDX200. KTM640. KTM300
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photobucket Glennboy Off Track Talk 40 11-02-2015 08:35 PM
best alternative to photobucket AndrewinTas Off Track Talk 19 29-10-2012 09:17 PM
Vinduro at 'Bendemeer' Cookardinia hosted by HolbrookMCSC muzzac Competition & Racing 0 31-08-2011 01:45 PM
Photobucket Videos k300 Off Track Talk 3 16-06-2008 11:43 PM
photobucket and youtube - how to? farKENoath Off Track Talk 12 13-06-2008 04:10 PM


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 09:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.