dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 14-11-2018
DBW Dweller

Ktm 450 sxf charge issue

Hi, Iíve got a 450 sxf 2011 that doesnít seem to be getting a good charge. Iíve changed the voltage reg and later changed the stator. Both second hand units but no change in the outcome. Iím sure I should get more than 12.8v at the battery, donít get over 13v when revving. Voltage ac from stator wires seem to stay at 14 at idle and up to 16vac when revving. Not sure where to look next. All plugs cleaned and new battery. Any help would be appreciated as Iím worried about going out for a ride and not being able to restart the bike when it has no kicker.

Sent from my iPhone using dirtbikeworld
Old 14-11-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamktm450 View Post
Hi, Iíve got a 450 sxf 2011 that doesnít seem to be getting a good charge. Iíve changed the voltage reg and later changed the stator. Both second hand units but no change in the outcome. Iím sure I should get more than 12.8v at the battery, donít get over 13v when revving. Voltage ac from stator wires seem to stay at 14 at idle and up to 16vac when revving. Not sure where to look next. All plugs cleaned and new battery. Any help would be appreciated as Iím worried about going out for a ride and not being able to restart the bike when it has no kicker.
You have a loose rotor, a weak magnet-set on the rotating field or a shitty connection/drain to earth on the armature output cables. The armature should put out close to 90VAC when revving the motor with the output plug floating.

Also, don't discount that you've replaced the rec/reg or armature with another faulty part. I once changed 8 plugs in a row from one faulty batch...
Old 15-11-2018
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
You have a loose rotor, a weak magnet-set on the rotating field or a shitty connection/drain to earth on the armature output cables. The armature should put out close to 90VAC when revving the motor with the output plug floating.

Also, don't discount that you've replaced the rec/reg or armature with another faulty part. I once changed 8 plugs in a row from one faulty batch...

Thanks Nutty,
I know itís not earthing, the resistance is 2ohm which is in spec for both stators. But yeah canít get anywhere near 90vac. Could it be the flywheel? If Iím not getting high volt ac, then the reg/rec could still be good right?

When you say output plug floating, do you mean the stator disconnected? When I do that the engine dies so Iím taking the reading with probes in the terminals still connected to the reg/rec.

Thanks for your reply.

Adam Ktm 450 sxf 2011, Victoria, Australia.
Sent from my iPhone using dirtbikeworld
Old 15-11-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamktm450 View Post
Thanks Nutty,
I know itís not earthing, the resistance is 2ohm which is in spec for both stators.
No you don't.

You're testing continuity of copper with a multimeter than applies 0.5VDC-1.5VDC. That doesn't tell you anything other than that the copper is intact. A leak to earth at 90V AC will travel through faulty insulant, not copper.

Before going any further you need to get a Sparkie mate to do an I.R. test on the armature at 250VDC. 90V AC has a peak voltage of 127V. That'll punch through faulty insulation and drop the VAC output.

p.s. if that model has the pulser coil wiring AND AC output in the one plug it'll die if you pull the plug. Try again, floating the AC at the rec/reg.