dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 05-07-2015
dbw Pro Legend

TUbliss tubeless tyre system - a cross training persepctive

after using mousses for the past year i loved the traction but was getting a bit frustrated with their short lifespan, difficulty changing them and lack of adjustable pressure. plenty of guys were saying to try TUbliss so switched over a few months ago. here's my take on them from a cross training angle.

there's also a good review thread from other TUbliss users here.

for slower technical riding, the TUbliss has been brilliant. what surprised me ws the ability to go down to zero psi even with the soft michelins the beta RR300 came with and get a massive tyre patch that lets the bike tractor up steep hills... or fly up them too as the tyre simply can't slip when that 100psi inner tube is gripping the sidewalls all the way around the rim. it really is like riding a trials bike pressure-wise. at zero psi i found i found there was a bit of tyre roll on the rear if pushing it hard through corners at speed, but this disappeared with 2psi or higher whereas the mousses rolled around a lot once they were softened to the equivalent of about 5psi or less.

i was dubious about claims that the high pressure inner tube firmed up the sidewalls but this appears to be the case... even at zero psi the rims didn't impact on rocks and tree roots until the speed was up a little. but i must admit if i was going to hit nasty stuff at high speed i'd want to run 8psi at least. while very good, the TUbliss isn't quite in the same ballpark as a mousse for protecting your rims. but for me all the advantages outweigh that extra protection a mousse can provide, especially as i'm not into slamming the bike through rocks at high speed.

a lot of guys in the states are running with six ply tyres like the bridgestone ed78 so they can run zero to 3psi and get that extra rim protection due to the stiffer sidewalls, i might experiment with this once the michies wear out. there's a thread discussing tyres to run with the TUbliss here.

cost is about comparable to mousses, but should be much cheaper in the long term as the setup can last for years - if it does then the long-term cost should be comparable to using ultra heavy duty tubes if you put a new set in each year.

NOTE: you will want a high pressure bicycle pump or similar. service stations often have their compressors set to give enough pressure to meet the strict minimum of 80psi for the inner bladder (and you can lose 10psi just taking the hose off!), but 110psi is the recommendation. i bought a $23 bike pump from ebay that works fine. it's rated for 160psi so reaches 120psi easily... it's always best to get one rated for well above what you actually need.
Old 05-07-2015
DBW Expert

Nice write up. Thanks.

Tyre choice can make a big difference. Best IMO, is stiff sidewall and supple tread area. Such as the Dunlop MX32.

If a tyre has soft sidewall and stiff tread area you get less grip, less rim protection, and seriously bad side knob cracking when using pressure below about 8 PSI.

With a more flexible tread area I found I don't need to go below 6 PSI to get maximum grip.
Old 05-07-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Anyone run tubliss and GoldenTyre? Particularly things like the 230 or 216 soft compounds?
'05 EC300
ErmmXR400
'Oh God knows EC250
And about a hundred road bikes, mostly Yamahas for some reason.

General Manager Close Motorcycles - Honda, Suzuki, GasGas and Kymco in Sydney
Old 06-07-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by numroe View Post
....Tyre choice can make a big difference. Best IMO, is stiff sidewall and supple tread area. Such as the Dunlop MX32.

If a tyre has soft sidewall and stiff tread area you get less grip, less rim protection, and seriously bad side knob cracking when using pressure below about 8 PSI.....
a lot of guys in the USA are using the bridgestone ED78 for that reason. i know a few have used the goldentyre 216 or 530 and raved about it.

keen to experiment but i think i'll put on a motozhybrid next, had a lot of recommendations for that one with the sort of riding we are doing.
Old 06-07-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Have thought about the ed78 for the rear but not at around $180AUD The dunlop AT81RC has a super stiff sidewall but the crown was still a little stiff but awesome traction when run flat,have now got a maxxis desert IT on the rear which has a softer sidewall than the dunlop but the crown is a fair bit softer too and when run at 0-3psi has way more traction than the dunlop as it conforms to everything but the handling around corners is a tad worse than the AT81RC due to softer sidewall
Old 06-07-2015
dbw Pro Legend

any tire you use now will preform better with tubliss, stiff, soft or what ever, you adjust the pressure to suit your needs
Old 06-07-2015
dbw Pro Addict

Tubliss are fantastic from a riding perspective, I've owned them and have moved on back to UHD tubes. reason being the 120 psi required for the liner. Constant leaks, standby pressure drop and debris in the bead, Sunday 6am trying to find an air source to achieve 120psi reliably.

After testing I prefer using my rim clean method. It's cheaper, easier to maintain and equal to performance.

I'm all for low pressures, tubliss is for low pressures and proven how good they are.Rim clean is a True pressure test for ultimate traction for any given tyre. Numbers aren't what they seem for the garden variety PSI vs performance.
Old 06-07-2015
DBW Expert

Source of high pressure shouldn't be a problem. Having been a road and track cyclist I have been using bike floor pumps for years and now I'm using mine for my Tubliss rather than for pushbikes. Really good floor pumps are available from Torpedo 7 for $45 upwards - easily capable of 120 psi, and some models will go to 200psi.
Old 08-07-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coley13 View Post
...Rim clean is a True pressure test for ultimate traction for any given tyre. Numbers aren't what they seem for the garden variety PSI vs performance.
Hey coley13, I'm assuming you are saying that if you see black marks on your rim, then your tyre pressure is too low? Is it as relevant when using mooses, UHD, or TubLiss systems? Or are you more concerned with splitting the sidewall?
Old 08-07-2015
dbw Pro Hero

Do a search on "rim clean" on this site. Use Google. I am not sure I believe it but plenty do. They are talking about a visible clean area on your rim adjacent to the bead. The thickness of this clean section determines correct tyre pressure. Nothing else does according to proponents of the method.