dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha Forum

Yamaha Forum For the True Blues.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

The 2018 WR250F...?

I'm loving my YZ' self built X but am thinking of a change.
So far I've been looking at the Sherco 300 4st or the WR250F, specifically the '18. A good mate who rides in the Vic series is loving his new YZ250F and now the new WR is closely spec'd it looks like a great option.
Cant find any tests that really drill down into them yet, as I'd love to know how they stack up against their euro competition. They still seem fat at a claimed 113KG, which is 8 over the Sherco. Not a deal breaker but after riding the YZ around I'd like something light.

Has anyone been lucky enough to ride one of the new 18's?
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

I haven't ridden a 2018 model but have the latest ADB test of it.

It's the same design just plenty of improvements. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the weight, the 113kg figure is with fuel, so prob very similar to the Sherco.

I have a YZ FX and a 250F, my brother has a 2016 WR, so I know these bikes very well.
Personally I love the FX in the bush, if the new WR is an improvement over this (which I think if is), should be a brilliant bike.

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Thanks Hopkins. A good mate is on a 17 YZ-F and loving it so that could be the way.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

I was in the exact same position as you Blunny , ( looking at the WR250f or the Sherco 300f ) I've ridden both ( not the 18 model ) and in my opinion the Sherco is the better bike . However I ended up getting a second hand 16 model WR . I couldn't afford a new bike and there just wasn't any 2nd hand Sherco's around and if they were they were out of my price range . The guy I bought my bike off " upgraded " ( his words ) to the Sherco 300f Factory . I would suggest trying to get a ride on one , they are awesome bikes . It probably sounds like I am regretting my decision but I don't , the WR is also an awesome bike and although its a 250 , I think it has slightly more power than the Sherco 300 ( mine has a pipe , the Sherco I rode didn't ) .
I think it depends what type of riding you do . The sherco feels like a mountain bike in the tight stuff whereas the WR feels like a big bike . Its wide between the legs and tall which you are used to with the YZ and the Sherco is narrow and has a lower seat height which makes it feel small and a lot lighter compared to the WR . I haven't ridden the 18 WR but in stock trim they sound from the reports I've read like they have more power than the previous model . Maybe in stock form its similar to a 15 - 17 bike with a pipe .
Also something to think about is what will be handy for you with regard to backup service , who is the better dealer to deal with and availability of after market parts .
I don't think you can go wrong on either bike . If you get a chance to ride both you will know pretty soon which one suits you best .
Old 6 Days Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Oh....ok then... thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 5 Days Ago
dbw Pro

http://www.motoonline.com.au/2017/09...yamaha-wr250f/
Old 3 Days Ago
DBW Expert

I haven't ridden a Sherco, but have spent plenty of time on newer KTM. I've ridden the '18 WR250F, and it's a nice improvement from the 17. As for the weight, yes, it's noticeable on the showroom floor compared to the KTM 250, but on the trail it's not that noticeable. I'd buy based on dealer support and pricing.
Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Any reason you are looking at the WR over the FX?

I'd be waiting to see what happens with the 19 YZ250F. With any luck it will have e-start and WiFi tuning.