dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 09-02-2009
DBW Expert

MX the Enduro or Enduro the MX bike?

What do you think is the best bike to setup to take on everything (non rego)? I realised i have slowly over the years setup my WR400 more like a YZF, stripped the rego gear, MX pipe and suspension. I mostly ride organised trail rides on private property and go to bike parks and flog around enduro and MX tracks. I have kept paying the rego so i can legally ride the state forest and not fear the rangers/cops. But i guess if I got pulled up I would get fined anyway for not being roadworthy therefore wasting the couple of hundred a year it rego?

So the question is whether it's worth starting with a MX 450 (RRP is cheaper) and give it the enduro setup or get another enduro and set it up for offroad? I haven't owned a 450MXer so what would be needed to set it up for the bush?
Old 09-02-2009
dbw Pro Addict

Location: island jungle where dreams will come true, down here where we all screw
Where do you live mate?
Old 09-02-2009
DBW Expert

brisbane
Old 09-02-2009
dbw Pro Legend

Keep the rego,as a fine for unroadworthy would be the least of your worries.If you were involved in an accident on public land and someone decided to sue your 3rd party.Sorry to sound gloomy,but it happens.
Old 09-02-2009
dbw Factory Pro

An MX bike in the bush is a lot peakier than an enduro bike, so I guess 1 thing would be, what is your riding style like. I have modded my KLX 450 to race MX, stripped all the gear off it and improved it, and i like it, I am no where near as fast as a 17 year old wanna be racing for sheep stations, so it suits me down to the ground, you carry a bit of extra weight on an enduro bike though, but in the right hands they are still a very quick bike.
Old 09-02-2009
dbw Pro Addict

mxer will need a suspension revalve for the bush, and you'll have to put up with the high first gear and low 5th. Much more likely to get fined for unrego'd than unroadworthy, and it's a bigger fine.
Old 09-02-2009
dbw Pro Legend

If you still want to ride in the state forest you have no decision to make. I have been pulled up by the rangers and police two of the last three rides I have done at Mt Mee. They really just need to know you are rego'd and licensed.
16 300 EXC
Old 09-02-2009
dbw Pro Legend

Also, no magic button!
Old 09-02-2009
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

It's a really tough call... cause every bike is different.

However being in QLD where you don't have rec rego I'd say the logical thing to do is to MX'up an enduro bike a bit. As said, it's more so the insurance than anything that comes with full reg that you should have. Also they'd be far less likely to charge you with unroadworthy offenses than straight up unrego if you were using an MX'er.

With the 2 strokes.. there isn't alot of difference between mx and enduro once you match up the suspension valving. The 4 strokes however tend to have a bigger weight difference. 3kg's however is often found in the difference between 18" to 19" wheel alone. Then there's about 3kg in most 3Amp hour batteries... so as you can see it's not long til you start getting the weights closer if you start trimming.

Slightly more open muffler, a different cam and a high comp piston could prob turn almost any 450 enduro bike into a fire breather as well.... if you wanted to go that far. But try to be smart about the muffler as there isn't much power to be found above 94db.
Old 09-02-2009
dbw Pro Legend

I think these days an enduro bike is as good as any MX bike in the bush.

As said MX bikes have a short first gear and top out earlier in 4th or 5th gear. I think the KX450's only have 4 gears.

As for me, I have an enduro because an MX would not be of any benefit to me (cause I ride like a girl) and with an enduro I am registered and can go anywhere. Of course there are things you can do to an enduro to make it quicker and lighter, but on an MX you are always unregistered which can be a bad thing if caught..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Mandela View Post
It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another

Current ride
'10 GasGas EC450FSR

Past rides
07 TE450 SOLD
New tyres front and rear - Spare tube front and rear - New sprocket rear - Long range fuel tank - Spare oil filters - Spare wheel bearings -New plastics and decals -Fatbars - Spare clutch lever - $4,500
03 WR450F
01 CR250R