dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 02-03-2013
dbw Pro

Heated Grips

Anyone run them? Ebay cheapies any good or spend the extra coin and get some with High-low function?

any related problems??

soft, I know
Old 02-03-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Not soft, smart.
I like warm hands in low temps, that's why pockets were invented
Don't make the mistake of buying cheapies as they wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.
Spend about $50 - $80 and you will love it
Old 02-03-2013
dbw Factory Pro

Like we need them this time of year.
Old 02-03-2013
dbw Pro

Cheers boys!

Have been on some 110km+ loops around Wye river area in the pissing,freezing rain... cold locked up hands suck!
Old 02-03-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Buy 3 sets. Cheap even if you stuff them up.
Old 02-03-2013
dbw Pro Addict

Heated grips are the greatest invention since the camel back!
Being able to run nice thin motocross gloves in the depth of winter, when you need as much feel and finess on the controls as possible, makes for a much more enjoyable and faster ride. Thick, bulky gloves slow you down and cold hands are very slow to react so they do even more so.

Some tips around the use of heated grips.
1. The right grip will get hotter than the left because the left is attached straight to the aluminium bar, which draws all of the heat away. The plastic throttle tube acts as a thermal insulator and all of the heat goes into your hand.
To stop this, wrap a thin layer of electrical or duct tape around the bar before you fit the heater to the clutch side
Another trick is to by 2 sets of heaters, one 25W and one 35W. Install the 25W on the throttle hand and the 35W on the clutch -with tape underneath as well. Personally that's the only way I've been able to get them to heat evenly.

2. The wires break where they attach to the heating element, or close to it. This is because the heat makes the insulation on the wires go hard and once brittle enough it snaps.
To avoid this, cable tie the wires from the left hand grip to the handlebar just as they exit the grip. On the throttle hand, attach the wires to the flared bit of the grip (the bit that your thumb knuckle rubs against) with a bit of grip wire. Make sure it's not too tight. Also run a reasonably big loop of wire to the throttle and make sure that as you wind the throttle on, the loop gets bigger.

Fit new grip heaters every winter, regardless of how good they look.

Wire them with spade terminals, this helps to make replacements easier.

Run them (or a relay) off the headlight circuit so they turn off automatically when you stop the bike.

Take some time to make the wiring neat, it can turn into a birds nest suprisingly quickly.

Owen.

Amber
2014 KTM FREERIDE 250R aka MOUNTAIN GOAT

Owen
2015 BETA 300RR
Old 02-03-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team200 View Post
2. The wires break where they attach to the heating element, or close to it. To avoid this, cable tie the wires from the left hand grip to the handlebar just as they exit the grip. On the throttle hand, attach the wires to the flared bit of the grip (the bit that your thumb knuckle rubs against) with a bit of grip wire. Make sure it's not too tight. Also run a reasonably big loop of wire to the throttle and make sure that as you wind the throttle on, the loop gets bigger.

Owen.
Some sound advice there Owen.
I like to run some cheapo lecky tape over the heaters past the attaching wire to hold it in, and when I replace my grips I don't damage the element.
Cheers
Dennis
Old 02-03-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Not soft at all it's a safety thing more than pure comfort.
All i want to add is to buy ones that are soldered at the heat pad/wire junction, over the riveted ones.
Oh and get a hi/lo setup.
Old 02-03-2013
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Being able to run nice thin motocross gloves in the depth of winter, when you need as much feel and finess on the controls as possible, makes for a much more enjoyable and faster ride. Thick, bulky gloves slow you down and cold hands are very slow to react so they do even more so.

Some tips around the use of heated grips.
1. The right grip will get hotter than the left because the left is attached straight to the aluminium bar, which draws all of the heat away. The plastic throttle tube acts as a thermal insulator and all of the heat goes into your hand.
To stop this, wrap a thin layer of electrical or duct tape around the bar before you fit the heater to the clutch side
Another trick is to by 2 sets of heaters, one 25W and one 35W. Install the 25W on the throttle hand and the 35W on the clutch -with tape underneath as well. Personally that's the only way I've been able to get them to heat evenly.

2. The wires break where they attach to the heating element, or close to it. This is because the heat makes the insulation on the wires go hard and once brittle enough it snaps.
To avoid this, cable tie the wires from the left hand grip to the handlebar just as they exit the grip. On the throttle hand, attach the wires to the flared bit of the grip (the bit that your thumb knuckle rubs against) with a bit of grip wire. Make sure it's not too tight. Also run a reasonably big loop of wire to the throttle and make sure that as you wind the throttle on, the loop gets bigger.

Fit new grip heaters every winter, regardless of how good they look.

Wire them with spade terminals, this helps to make replacements easier.

Run them (or a relay) off the headlight circuit so they turn off automatically when you stop the bike.

Take some time to make the wiring neat, it can turn into a birds nest suprisingly quickly.

Owen.
+1 to all of this.

Like Owen said thread only real drama is the cables snaping off the solder pads after a while. Very easy to solder back on though. To try and stop it I used a thin cable tie just as they come off the pads to hold the wire down and stop it wiggling over time. Worked well and couldnt feel it under the grip.
Old 02-03-2013
Banned

Quote:
only took DBW what, 4 years to catch on?