dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > GasGas Forum

GasGas Forum Proudly sponsored by DIRTWORKS SUSPENSION

Old 10-07-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Gas Gas Ranger 2020 review

A bunch of us dirt riding muppets got to ride the 2020 Gas Gas Ranger for a whole weekend. It's an interesting addition to the Spanish two stroke line up which falls into that hybrid category - enduro bikes that have a slight trials influence.

So it's a bit lighter than its big brother the EC300, plus a tighter turning circle, lower seat height, softer suspension, and tuned for grunt instead of top end. The result? A bike that's suitable for less experienced riders, or those more into slower harder terrain.

Previously the main bike in this category was the Beta Xtrainer. In some respects the Gas Gas Ranger is better, with superior suspension and better handling at speed. But the Gas Gas also weighs a few more kilograms and has a bit less punch at low revs, something that might sway the serious hard enduro style riders...

There's been a lot of debate because Gas Gas websites have been showing the Ranger is 2kg heavier than the Gas Gas EC250 and EC300, when of course it should be lighter. We put both bikes on our industrial scales and found the Ranger is somewhere between two and three kg lighter (not exact due to accessories fitted).

Also there have been plenty of rumors about Gas Gas going broke again. Apparently the company is restructuring its workforce but doing this as part of their long term strategy. Here's a statement from the COO of Gas Gas USA: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=190634
Old 10-07-2019
dbw Pro

Very keen on this bike......and also the Beta 200rr.
Old 10-07-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bergman View Post
A bunch of us dirt riding muppets got to ride the 2020 Gas Gas Ranger for a whole weekend. It's an interesting addition to the Spanish two stroke line up which falls into that hybrid category - enduro bikes that have a slight trials influence.

So it's a bit lighter than its big brother the EC300, plus a tighter turning circle, lower seat height, softer suspension, and tuned for grunt instead of top end. The result? A bike that's suitable for less experienced riders, or those more into slower harder terrain.

Previously the main bike in this category was the Beta Xtrainer. In some respects the Gas Gas Ranger is better, with superior suspension and better handling at speed. But the Gas Gas also weighs a few more kilograms and has a bit less punch at low revs, something that might sway the serious hard enduro style riders...

Also there have been plenty of rumors about Gas Gas going broke again. Apparently the company is restructuring its workforce but doing this as part of their long term strategy. Here's a statement from the CEO of Gas Gas: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=190634
He's not the CEO of GG. just the boss of GG USA.
The forks on EC/XC/GP are CC KYB AOS but not Yammy patented SSS(basically Yammy marketing). More or less the same but slightly different valving/internals.
Good review mate. Hopefully the factory sort their shite out soon!
*mate has added to ya Beta thread too unfortunately Barry*
Old 10-07-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Liking the look of this bike Barry, it looks like it holds a fair bit of fuel & it still has that enduro bike look to it. Just wondering what is the fuel tank size & how far will she go on a full tank, is it premix or oil injection ?
Old 10-07-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Liking the look of this bike Barry, it looks like it holds a fair bit of fuel & it still has that enduro bike look to it. Just wondering what is the fuel tank size & how far will she go on a full tank, is it premix or oil injection ?
Premix(Keihin) & 10L tank. Actually holds about 11L.
Old 10-07-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
He's not the CEO of GG. just the boss of GG USA.

The forks on EC/XC/GP are CC KYB AOS but not Yammy patented SSS(basically Yammy marketing). More or less the same but slightly different valving/internals...
just realised he's technically the COO or chief operations officer, not a CEO. i was told that GG USA is also head office nowadays but could have heard incorrectly... wouldn't be the first time lol.

pity it's not the SSS suspension, hopefully i made that pretty clear in the vid. the AOS setup still felt great compared to my xtrainer, but the top of the range KYB is in a whole other league. i rode the EC250 which has this and it's like a magic carpet ride.
Old 10-07-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bergman View Post
just realised he's technically the COO or chief operations officer, not a CEO. i was told that GG USA is also head office nowadays but could have heard incorrectly... wouldn't be the first time lol.

pity it's not the SSS suspension, hopefully i made that pretty clear in the vid. the AOS setup still felt great compared to my xtrainer, but the SSS is in a whole other league. i rode the EC250 which has the SSS and it's like a magic carpet ride.
Haha I think Spain still calls the shots but Berg has some sway. SSS is Yammy's fork patent. Flash way of saying dual cart fork. No GG has it. The GG's have AOS CC forks that are very similar just very slightly different valving/internals but basically the same. Rangers have a 46mm OC KYB fork.
Old 11-07-2019
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
Haha I think Spain still calls the shots but Berg has some sway. SSS is Yammy's fork patent. Flash way of saying dual cart fork. No GG has it. The GG's have AOS CC forks that are very similar just very slightly different valving/internals but basically the same. Rangers have a 46mm OC KYB fork.
Yep! This.. KYB dual chambers on Honda and Kawi, TM and now on GG all AOS (Air Oil Separated). Yami own the naming SSS.

The old 46mm OC KYBs are what the 01-04 Yamahahaha WRs used to run, before jumping up to 48mm OC and then currently SSS.