dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Beta Forum

Beta Forum My bike is Beta than yours!

Old 25-08-2016
dbw Pro

XTrainer LCD

Just wanting to make sure I've got this right....

The XTrainer LCD is only powered by the CR2032 battery fitted to the lcd? Even though in the owners manual it states it has a external current supply of 12 volts.

I took delivery of my bike in March & have had two rides since totalling 73kms. Half way through my first ride the "Lo" light was the only thing on my lcd. Didn't think to much of it. So replaced with a lithium energizer battery & has sat in the garage without being moved. Went on a ride for 50ks & while washing my bike afterwards noticed the "Lo" light was on again! So I fitted a Maxell lithium battery & will see this weekend how long it lasts.

Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? & what was the fix?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25-08-2016
DBW Clubman

Try reseating the power cable plug where it plugs into the loom behind the headlight, my 300rr did this and I replaced the battery and sorted the plug and it hasn't gone flat since

Beta 300rr 2016 with Ohlins TTX fork inserts Now Sold

KTM250EXC 2015 - Sold
Old 26-08-2016
DBW Expert

There was a fault with some of the units on 2016 models not running from engine power when running. It runs on engine power if available or on battery if not. If you wheel the bike around the sensor will trigger the speedo to turn on and it runs on the button battery power until the engine is running. It was written up in Thumpertalk and mentioned on the X-Trainer thread here. Mine had that problem - I would change the battery and it would go flat in a couple of rides. Beta swapped it on warranty for me without any questions and now it works fine. Even on the normal units it will eventually go flat no matter what - I have to replace mine every 2 or 3 months. I went on Ebay and bought 10 CR2032's for about $8.
Old 26-08-2016
dbw Factory Pro

If you need to change the battery go to a welders place and get the 2032 battery for a welding mask ... I have done this and dont have the battery chewing out anymore

17' Beta 300rr ... Gone & Sold
Complement the Smoker ... Beta 480rr 15' .... Gone & sold
Beta 250rr 16' ... Gone Written Off .. Xmas Drivers
KTM 250 sx 2013 smoker ... Gone & Sold
KTM 350xcf 2014 ... Gone & sold
YZF 450 11'.. Enduroised ... Gone & Sold
Crf450r 04' ... Gone & Sold
CR 85 07' .. Last of the Smokers ... The daughters weapon
Old 03-01-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Old thread reboot..

My ‘18 RR300 speedo was buggerising around - showing ‘low batt’, ‘software2.4’ on pressing the rhs function button and constantly resetting to 12.00. Also, the speedo would work when the motor was running, but not from the pick up.

The ‘low batt’ reading was on a battery 3 days old - 2.7v on the multimeter.
I was replacing the battery & found while fitting it that it wouldn’t seat deep enough in the recess just using the cap & rubber o-ring to make decent enough contact for the - & + tabs.

A little square of card between the coin battery & the inside of the round plastic battery cap is now holding the battery in the correct position to power the multi-function.

Not sure how an incorrectly seated battery could drain itself (I’m no Nicolai Tesla when it comes to current, etc ) so rapidly, but the speedo is now working from the pick up with motor off & by pressing a function button & via the motor.

Will keep an eye on the voltage..
Old 03-01-2019
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibnut View Post
Old thread reboot..

My ‘18 RR300 speedo was buggerising around - showing ‘low batt’, ‘software2.4’ on pressing the rhs function button and constantly resetting to 12.00. Also, the speedo would work when the motor was running, but not from the pick up.

The ‘low batt’ reading was on a battery 3 days old - 2.7v on the multimeter.
I was replacing the battery & found while fitting it that it wouldn’t seat deep enough in the recess just using the cap & rubber o-ring to make decent enough contact for the - & + tabs.

A little square of card between the coin battery & the inside of the round plastic battery cap is now holding the battery in the correct position to power the multi-function.

Not sure how an incorrectly seated battery could drain itself (I’m no Nicolai Tesla when it comes to current, etc ) so rapidly, but the speedo is now working from the pick up with motor off & by pressing a function button & via the motor.

Will keep an eye on the voltage..
Could of been near flat when you fitted it. Not the first time I've seen that. It's also possible to short across the battery when fitting it (or fitting it upside down even for just a second) if not careful and this will also cause early failure.
Old 03-01-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldscool View Post
Could of been near flat when you fitted it. Not the first time I've seen that. It's also possible to short across the battery when fitting it (or fitting it upside down even for just a second) if not careful and this will also cause early failure.
Cheers, Oldscool. It was an Energizer, tested 3.4v brand new out of the packet.

The neg & posi tabs are different heights - I think when you drop the battery in, negative is the first contact then when the opposite side is flat & pushed home by the cover, the positive tang makes contact with the positive (face up) surface.
Old 03-01-2019
dbw Pro Addict

the clock on mine always resets itself