dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Dweller

KTM 690 Enduro fan not coming on

Hi all,

I've been having a really rough time lately with my 2012 KTM 690 Enduro (Aus).
It was over heating in the middle of summer doing some trails, but I put that down to the 35-40C heat we were experiencing and the slow speeds at which we were moving.

My fuel pump failed fairly quickly only recently, leaving me stranded on a main road as I was headed to the mechanic to have them investigate intermittent stalling while riding which started a day earlier.

I've got it back from the mechanic with a new cycleworks pump, and the stalling issues are gone. My problem now is I've been checking everything else on the bike out and I've noticed the fan isn't spinning at all (without it spinning the engine warning light comes on).

I've checked the fuses and they seem fine, and I've skipped the thermostat switch by just putting a piece of wire between the two terminals leading to the thermostat. The fan is really stiff to move manually, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Looking on ktmpartsonline the part number and cost listed for a replacement is 62635041000 at $190 AUD + postage for just the fan unit itself (not shroud or mounting hardware etc).

I find that to be ridiculous and I'd love to avoid going KTM for any parts at this point, but trying to research replacement fans just leads me to links and forum posts telling people to replace it (but no links or alternative parts), or stuff on the thermostat switch.

My questions are:
1) Is there any other way I can test the fan before ordering a replacement? Is it easy to remove and connect to a power source?

2) If it is the fan that is the problem, are there any alternative SPAL fans or aftermarket/ebay fans that will fit without modification to the bike or shroud? There are some available used on ebay from overseas but I'm less inclined to go for that as I don't know how long they will last either.

Thank you for the help
Old 1 Week Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by grehus View Post
...The fan is really stiff to move manually...

My questions are:

1) Is there any other way I can test the fan before ordering a replacement?

2) Is it easy to remove and connect to a power source?

3) If it is the fan that is the problem, are there any alternative SPAL fans or aftermarket/ebay fans that will fit without modification to the bike or shroud?
All permanent magnet motors should 'cog' or be notchy moving slowly between poles, brushless ones should spin freely at speed.

1) Yes, just hook it up to a 12V battery. Polarity isn't important, it'll just spin backwards
2) Yes
3) Heaps. Buy a roller bearing (not slipper bearing) fan. Best to get IP6 or above water protection. About $20-$30 on-line for a Chinga, they last OK, I've never replaced one after fitting...
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Dweller

Thank you. It looks like I need to drain and drop the radiator to properly get the fan out to test +/- replace.

Do you have a link to an example fan? There are a few “Universal 12V auto pull fan” models on eBay but they all seem to use 4 mounting points instead of KTMs 3. I’ve got no idea how to tell the difference between bearing types on a fan. Would it be possible to swap the motor from a Chinese fan into the KTM housing I wonder? Regardless I’ll be sure to post an update for others in the future