dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Lets talk about more fun stuff

So, I have a sidewinder buggy which is powered by a KLR 650 engine on which I just got the top end freshened up among other things. I have got for it on the advice of a friend with the view to it going a bit better, a 41mm flat carb from a crf450r. I am a self confessed mechanical dunce and I am taking the engine to be refitted by my mate who is much more technically savvy than myself this sunday. I am looking to be as prepared as I can for this to happen so I am seeking advice on 2 things.

Firstly jetting. I have a JD jetting kit for my crf450x. I am told that the winter needle which is not being used might be suitable given that the 650 will use more fuel. Any advice on whether this might work and what pilot and main I might use, or any other jetting suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

The second thing is the outer diameter of the section of the carby which connects to the motor (please excuse my lack of technical jargon), measures 46mm on the original carby, and 48mm on the crf carb. If I can squeeze the bigger one into the rubber fitting that connects to the motor would I be being ultra dodgy (or worse), or are there alternate means of putting a different size carby on a smaller opening?

Cheers in advance gents.

I have attached a link to a Youtube video of me driving the buggy last winter after we first got it going. Aside from the fresh engine, I have also bought new suspension for it front and back. We're also looking to install a rally style hand brake for sideways corner action. Wish me luck!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0b_lDRPyKU
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

A mate of mine had something similar with an R1 motor in it. It was a very nice piece of kit that looked like it had some pretty serious engineering - beautiful frame and awesome long travel suspension. It had waaay too much power to hookup on dirt and he lived on the outskirts of town so we'd get it on the road and do high speed runs.... let's just say it was fairly dangerous and it was moved on pretty quickly.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

I can imagine. The 650 will be just right I hope.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Addict

You won't know with the jetting until you get to it.. Start rich and taper down.

A larger engine doesn't necessarily mean you need to supply more fuel. All depends on vacuum signal. The bigger donk will pull more air for each intake stroke.. For a given carb size this will increase velocity meaning more fuel is picked up from the jets.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
You won't know with the jetting until you get to it.. Start rich and taper down.

A larger engine doesn't necessarily mean you need to supply more fuel. All depends on vacuum signal. The bigger donk will pull more air for each intake stroke.. For a given carb size this will increase velocity meaning more fuel is picked up from the jets.
Thanks Jake.