dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 9 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
You know your asking for it when you post things like that.....
Good on ya!!

Looks like I will be up on the 8th June.....
Old 9 Hours Ago
dbw Pro

Hi Max
Range is always hard to guess. We go out and do a two hour local ride and use about 30% of the battery - usually two big hills involved and 20k's. You can dial in the assist - I use 20% assist most of the time - 40% assist for steady climbing and 80% assist for the two big hills.
We do day rides of our old dirt bike tracks - don't know if you know the Wattagans? We leave the carpark near The Letter A and do all the single tracks down to the basin - then up the other side (via the concrete track) - and all the single track to the top and 2k's past the turn off to "The Farm". Then ride single tracks back to the car via the basin. My battery is just about empty, super human mate has 10% left - 4 to 5 hours of riding with some big climbs. Our batts are the older 500whr ones - newer bikes have 700whr.
Rode with my son one day, he rode a normal mountain bike and wore a heart monitor. We did a lap of the local then swapped bikes for the second lap. Heart rate info was interesting - normal mtb saw his heart hit sharp peaks, on the emtb they were rolling hills. Less stress on the old ticker (I'm 59).
As for charging off solar - there is lots of talk on emtb forums - some have solar set up for camping. Some charge the batt off the car using an inverter. Charger does draw some current. At home using mains it takes about 2&1/2hrs to charge.
Some bike shops will let you hire a demo for the day - ideal to make sure you get the right size. Warning though, you won't stop smiling.
Old 8 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Thanks Pendo

I have been to the wattos a few times and have a fair idea where you have been, sounds more and more like it might be time to get one as I do like riding the MTB but where I live I am surrounded by hills.......lots of hills!! Sounds like they might have the range I am looking for as most of the rides that I would do will be around 30 to 40 klm if I can get up the hills!!

Charge wise is pretty straight forward then if that is all it takes as I can set up a charge station as I already have the panels, charge controller, battery and 240 inverter.........
Old 8 Hours Ago
dbw Pro

I'm heading down to Derby Tasmania soon. We have a couple of them down there. Whereas most mtb's pay to be shuttled to the top in a van, we ride. We cram more into a day than most.
Old 3 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Dicklaimer; I've never owned or ridden one:
Due to this thread ... I did some Googling:-

The bike I found is still well-short of moto:
Yet:- It would kick-arse upon other MTB's.

It's 120kw, don't quote me on that:
- It's twice anything else out there.

HAIBIKE FLYON

Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 1 Hour Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Battery power

My Merida has the 500 W battery and I have run out of power once in the forest about 2km from home, up hill all the way. It's Bloody hard to pedal them with no power on any incline. Flat is just ok. Lesson - you'll only run out of power once. I've learnt when I'm down to 2 bars (out of 5) I change back to eco-mode. My ride I regularly do is 13km and I can't do that twice safely without danger of running out of power. I use the second power mode most of the time.

I tried a Haibike but they wouldn't let me take it for a day, just a short ride around the streets so they lost a sale.

The spec of gear your get on the Merida eOnesixty 900e is outstanding. I'm not convinced by DI2 electronic gears. That's the only thing I reckon is not necessary.
Old 1 Hour Ago
dbw Pro Champion

You've made a valid/pertinent point there Pete40:
If the motor died: We'd wish to isolate it to pedal.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*