dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Organise a Ride for Yourself. > ACT Rides

ACT Rides Organise a ride in the ACT and Surrounds

Old 16-12-2015
dbw Pro

Places to ride?

Hey guys fairly new in Canberra and thinking of firing up the CRF 250R, obviously I'm unregistered and was wondering if anyone knows of any handy little spots to ride?
Old 19-12-2015
DBW Clubman

Hi crf2fiddyx, it looks like Canberrans are a bit stingy about giving info on where to ride. I lived in Canberra for a very short period of time and the only place I got to ride was up towards Cotter Dam.
Follow Cotter Rd which becomes Paddys River Rd and then turn right into Laurel Camp Rd. It's a gravel road, after a few hundred metres you'll find a parking spot on your left. Look around there and you should find some single tracks. I don't know how it is going with no rego over there, but that's the only place I've ridden. Lot's of people go to Tallaganda forest which is near Braidwood.
Other than that I can't be of much help I'm afraid.
Old 19-12-2015
dbw Factory Pro

Hmmm, unregistered doesn't give you many options. Private property or Larbert Road about 10kms before Braidwood. That is about it.
They really do not want motorbikes in the Cotter Catchment and have introduced the Nature Conservation Act 2014 to deal with riding in the Lower Cotter Catchment. You can be fined up to $1500 just for riding off formed roads in there. Then there would be the fines for unregistered, unlicensed etc. You could of course take the chance and hope you don't get caught. There used to be some good single track throughout but I'm not sure that it gets maintained anymore so it could be overgrown.
Old 20-12-2015
dbw Pro

I get out to the cotter a fair bit there is quite a few tracks out there if you know where to look, was speaking to the ranger a couple of weeks ago and he said this " laurel camp rd bact towards the cotter dam is all now catchment area, $1500 fine straight up and is out of his control. From laurel camp rd back towards tidbinbilla ( tharwa ) is ok to ride and he doesn't have a problem with motorcycles out there. "
He does have a problem however with people who want to go out there and be dickheads in the car park causing damage and roosting other cars and people not in there group. Also on the cans at 9 in the morning, it was disgusting to see and I was blown away by the complete lunacy of these retards. These people are the exact reason there is hardly anywhere to ride in Canberra. Sorry rant over...
There is also a place called bolallaba out near captains flat, requires calling and booking but it s not a bad place to ride, no rego and kid friendly
Old 21-12-2015
dbw Pro

Ballallaba Springs

Ballallaba Springs MX Park 
Address: 507 Harolds Cross Rd, Captains Flat NSW 2623
Phone(02) 6236 6388
Old 22-12-2015
dbw Pro

http://www.captainsflat.org/ForestGate.htm
Give this a go for unrego.
Old 30-12-2015
DBW Dweller

I spoke to Mal from Captains Flat/Forest Gate this morning and said he had sold the property and the new owe had shut down the track
Old 12-01-2016
dbw Pro

Thanks for the info legends planning on trying some places this weekend after the rain!