dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Ride Reports & Local Issues > Northern Territory Ride Reports & Local Issues

Old 21-08-2012
dbw Pro

Mate great write up, im like you last year. reading all about it tryin to prepare myself for the trek to finke. Have a friend who done it for the first time this year and i dont want to miss it next year. Cheers again for the read!

Current rides
250sxf 13mod R1 09mod 07 rm125 too many kids bikes
Old 21-08-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDucati View Post
Mate great write up, im like you last year. reading all about it tryin to prepare myself for the trek to finke. Have a friend who done it for the first time this year and i dont want to miss it next year. Cheers again for the read!
Good luck with it mate. You won't regret doing it.

I won't be there next year, but 2014 is another story.

Just ask any questions and I will try to answer them.

Below is a conversation I had with a mate on Facebook that wanted some info about racing quads out there.

July 10
Craig

Hey Nathan...curious to know what you thought of Finke? Was it harder or easier than you thought? And were you prepared for it? What would you change now you've been once?

Cheers

craig

July 10
Nathan

G'day Mate. Finke was awesome!
Finke is tough if you want to do well, but not if you just want to finish. My fittness was pretty good but I needed to work more on core strength as I was standing alot more than I expected. Riding the whoops and standing, (because it was too rough to sit) was very hard on the lower back. A rowing machine would have been good training

Get out there early and pre-run it. I did about 800km of pre-running and I got alot more comfortable with knowing the track and what to expect on race day. It also helped my back. I did alot of riding before I went out there but I used different muscles out there because of the whoops. It also helps with gearing choice and suspension setup.

I have some good riding tracks here in Gundy which I think may resemble the whoops of Finke better than Hooks place (Hooks is good though). I am also president of the MX Club so if you ever want to ride either MX or whoops just let me know. We ride most weekends.

I passed most quads in the whoops because it is where you guys are slowest. This is where you need to train the most. You will travel as quick as the bikes in the smooth fast stuff and faster in the big sweeping corners. Master the whoops and you will do well.

The link below is my ride report for a forum I am on. (Im Gibbit) it may help.

Please ask me questions I love to talk about Finke.

Cheers.
Nathan.

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...=1#post1462123

July 11
Craig

Thanks for that Nathan. That was a good write up. I am on that forum under the name 'surfin'. I got a heap of questions I'll ask them as I think of them?

- what would you do different if you went again?
- did you need to pee during the race?
- did you have a problem with the high speeds and the helmet peak pulling your head back?
- the club stops...how many people could they service at once ?

Thats it for now i think

Cheers

Craig

July 11
Nathan

I would not change my bike setup. It was great.
- I would do more fittness training and core strength.
- I would not go to alice so early. (just because I have done it now). I would just get out there in time to do some prerunning and thats all. But would still tell a first timer to get there a week before the race.
- I won't do the organised prerun again on the sunday before. Its a waste of money. (unless Hook does it as its still fun.)
Knowone gets in trouble for prerunning the track. But cover your race numbers just in case.

- I tried not to over hydrate myself (so I would need a piss stop) but was doing so many nervous pisses before the race, that I had to drink a far bit. Once that flag drops, a piss was the last thing on my mind.

-The helmet was fine at speed as it was a tight fit. But my goggles kept pushing up my face so the nose part was across my eyes. (really pissed me off) A strip of foam glued to the top of my goggles would stop that because the foam would fill the gap between the goggles and helmet. (hope this makes sense).

GET ROSE TINT GOGGLE LENSES!! They are awsome for seeing the depth of the woops and I have found they are great here at home for general riding too.

-There were about 4-6 spots to fuel up at each club stop and they were all usually empty. They are very efficient. I will try to put a youtube video up of one or two of my stops. I had the helmet cam on for the whole race.

Cheers.
Nathan.

July 11
Craig

So with the whoops, was it your back or legs that copped it the most? What sort of physical training did you do leading up to the race?

What is the best way to handle the whoops?

How many quads did you pass? And was it in the whoops mainly?

What would you do to go quicker?

Cheers

July 12
Nathan

I think the legs and back cop the most. My legs were not too bad as I did alot of cycleing before the race.

I followed Michelle Bridges (From Biggest Loser) book called "Crunch Time" for cross training. Tried to do 30 mins in the morning about 3-4 days a week.
I rode the mountain bike 10-14km 3-4 times a week. On weekends I would ride the bike and try to do a few 30min and 60min rides non-stop, and try to push pretty hard. Didn't happen very often though

Don't know about the whoops on a quad. I tried to make sure I got the front wheel over the crest of each one (which is hard when your stuffed). If you didn't there is a good chance of falling off. Smacking into the face of each whoop can also really take it out of you. Getting out there and prerunning will teach you how to "surf" the woops. One important thing is if you do get a bit *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#&ed up in the whoops, give it heaps of throttle and the bike generaly straigtens up and pulls you through a disaster.

I gained about 40 positions in the race, 10 would have been quads. The thing is though, that these same riders past me in sections they where better than me at. So I past some of these riders up to 5 times. I may have overtaken up to 90 riders, its
just that some where overtaken more than once.
Quads where definetly easy to pass in the woops as they were alot slower there. I would slowly catch up to a quad in the smoother stuff and then in the woops you would catch them really quick.

If you get a good prolouge time you will have less slow riders to pass on race day.

To go quicker I would have worked on my fittness more and learn how to ride the track better.
Its hard doing the race and knowing you have the riding ability to go faster but your body just won't let you go quicker cause your physically rooted..

Probably the most important thing is to stay within your limits both with pre-running and racing. Too many go out there and get hurt even before the race and always remember Shmitty. It is a 2-4hr race each way. You cannot sprint it. You must pace yourself.

While prerunning, try to go right through from Finke to Alice (or vice versa) in one day. This will give you an idea what to expect on race day. You will not go as fast on race day due to all the dust though.

Try to stay away from the track for the last couple of days before the race. It will be a dangerous mix of Dick heads, ******s and drunk campers/spectators. And some guys that have just got to Alice and are trying to prerun as fast as they can and way outside their limits because they have limited time.

You should rest before the race anyway to let you body recover.

Most people respect the unwritten rule of prerunning south before 12 pm and northafter 12pm.

I might have to copy and paste this to DBW as its good shit, even if I say so myself.

Cheers.

July 12
Craig

Thanks Nathan I appreciate the time you have taken to write all this. Are you going back next yr?

July 12
Nathan

Would love to but I don't think I can afford it.

July 12
Craig

how much do you think it cost you in the end? I was thinking $5k max?

July 12
Nathan

That should be plenty.

I used about $1,800-$2,00 for fuel.
$580 for nomination plus $190 for club fuel.
Estimate around $30/ night for camp site at caravan park.

July 12
Craig

ok at this stage i am flying out...so got that to pay for and fuel for Hook to drive my quad out, plus my wife won't like a swag on the ground in Alice...so need a cabin. It will add up i am sure

July 12
Nathan

I would need a new bike if I went again as mine has around 150hrs now.

July 12
Craig

really it looks so new

July 12
Nathan

I look after my bike. Probably better than my wife and three kids sometimes.

July 12
Craig

my wife would say the same thing

Past:2016 KTM 300EXC
2010 YZ 250
2007 YZ 125
2011 YZ 450F SE
2009 YZ 450F SE
2001 YZ 426F
1998 RMX 250
1990 DT 200
1987 YZ 80
1984 DS 80
1980 PW 50
http://www.youtube.com/user/v8utes/videos
Old 22-08-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Seems we need a Finke 2013 thread, my prep starts this weekend.
KTM 690r - gone
Old 22-08-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedK View Post
Easy prep for u dude!!
Old 22-08-2012
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Mine 2..
what bike you gunna run next year?
Old 23-08-2012
dbw Pro

Holidays booked
289 days to go

Current rides
250sxf 13mod R1 09mod 07 rm125 too many kids bikes
Old 23-08-2012
dbw Pro Legend

KTM400, hopefully just some dunga for $2000 or so. Nothing special, in-fact i kinda hope i have the crappest looking bike there.
KTM 690r - gone
Old 23-08-2012
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
KTM400, hopefully just some dunga for $2000 or so. Nothing special, in-fact i kinda hope i have the crappest looking bike there.
I have a wr400 you can have for 1,400 smackerz delivered a week before.. just hasn't got top gear 15/42 gearing and your good for 160k/hr easy enough.
Old 25-08-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Yeah cool, thats the kinda thing i'm after. might need it earlier. heading down track 2morro will have better idea then coz i've done some suspension work on the 690. I've got to get to Deepwell in 50 or so minutes or its not gunna happen.
KTM 690r - gone
Old 25-08-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Yeah cool, thats the kinda thing i'm after. might need it earlier. heading down track 2morro will have better idea then coz i've done some suspension work on the 690. I've got to get to Deepwell in 50 or so minutes or its not gunna happen.
Day one I did Alice to Deepwell in 50mins 30sec.

On day two I did the same section in 48mins 12 secs
Past:2016 KTM 300EXC
2010 YZ 250
2007 YZ 125
2011 YZ 450F SE
2009 YZ 450F SE
2001 YZ 426F
1998 RMX 250
1990 DT 200
1987 YZ 80
1984 DS 80
1980 PW 50