dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 11-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy501 View Post
Who rides a dirt bike and doesnít carry a spare plug ??
I did almost 13K kms on a 06 300EXC.. I never carried a plug and didn't foul it once.. I'd almost say if you are fouling plugs regularly then something is amiss..
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Yeah I worked it out. I have been using a STIC meeting block in my Keihin carb and the main jet wasn't large enough which was causing it to run rich down low....yes you read that right. The STIC makes conventional jetting changes different.

I just changed the MJ from a 188 to a 200, this should make the DP large enough to prevent fuel being siphoned through the MJ at low speeds. The STIC requires you to run large jets on PJ and MJ and have the air screw screwed out +3 turns. The Increased air flow at low speed will suck fuel through the MJ if it isn't large enough.

I'll put a seperate review up once I get some more seat time on it. Right now it is easily the best accessory I have ever bolted to a bike. The performance gains far outweigh any exhaust system or other mod I have ever done. It runs as clean (if not cleaner) than my TPI did but massive difference in power.
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
Yeah I worked it out. I have been using a STIC meeting block in my Keihin carb and the main jet wasn't large enough which was causing it to run rich down low....yes you read that right. The STIC makes conventional jetting changes different.

I just changed the MJ from a 188 to a 200, this should make the DP large enough to prevent fuel being siphoned through the MJ at low speeds. The STIC requires you to run large jets on PJ and MJ and have the air screw screwed out +3 turns. The Increased air flow at low speed will suck fuel through the MJ if it isn't large enough.

I'll put a seperate review up once I get some more seat time on it. Right now it is easily the best accessory I have ever bolted to a bike. The performance gains far outweigh any exhaust system or other mod I have ever done. It runs as clean (if not cleaner) than my TPI did but massive difference in power.
nice one bowser looking forward to your thought once you go it sorted

i am due for another engine mod soon
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarKer View Post
I did almost 13K kms on a 06 300EXC.. I never carried a plug and didn't foul it once.. I'd almost say if you are fouling plugs regularly then something is amiss..
I agree, I had over 20k on my old gassy and never fouled one either. I only ever changed them when I had to take it out to do a rebuild. But I do carry spares for my other riding mates! 😜

If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people.. House.
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
nice one bowser looking forward to your thought once you go it sorted

i am due for another engine mod soon
Are you using a Keihin 38 carb already? There is plenty of bits around or invented that promise the world and revolutionise the 20th century but fall well short. Carb x-wing, FMF mega bomb header, that Brocky magnet thing, Lectron carb (to a degree) etc and the STIC inventor claims all them and more.....but he is onto something.

I was impressed with the power and clean running from the start and ran it back to back with my TSP Mukuni and it smoked it. Now Mark from Tokyo offload and the STIC inventor have played with jetting more they really making the thing worth it's money and more.

The inventor sent me some CAD models which greatly helped me understand how some of the magic happens and why you need to adjust the air screw so far out and why you need to jet it the way you do. I don't run a clutch on my 300 so I lose the ability to flick the clutch and get it on band early so I rely on the bike to run clean and have plenty of torque. I had the red PV springs fitted but it was just too savage for anything remotly tight when coming into band. The yellow one is much more user friendly although not as fun in the real open stuff

My TPI ran clean but just lacked down low, with the STIC it runs as clean for sure, maybe even better? yet doesn't lack that down low grunt. Easily ride gear or 2 higher and just lug.

I just installed a 200 MJ and are itching to get back out and test it
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser nate View Post
I agree, I had over 20k on my old gassy and never fouled one either. I only ever changed them when I had to take it out to do a rebuild. But I do carry spares for my other riding mates! 😜
As I posted above i'm using a different meetering block in my carb and it requires a much much larger main jet to stop fuel from syphoning up though it at low speed. I didn't know that and as a result my MJ was too small (still large at 188 though) and made the bike run real fat down low. guys have done some more testing recently and worked out a 190-200MJ is required to seperate the circuits.

The STIC meeting block requires jets of 50PJ and 190/200MJ with the air screw out 3 turns or more. Compare that to conventional keihin which would use a 40PJ and 170MJ, and air screw out 1.5 to 2 turns. A standard meeting block carb would run way rich using the STIC settings and bog like crazy. The STIC carb runs clean as when you walk the throttle, no hesitation or lag at all
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Hey guys this is a TPI thread, all this Carby talk is making my head spin ,lol

Iím only having a joke

Continue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

36 mm bowser
Old 18-05-2019
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
i am trying not to buy a TPI this does not help

with the idle screw mod why not add a little bit of liquid metal or something similar between the throttle return stop, cheaper easier and that will raise the idle,i have not seen a tpi throttle body up close but a presume the idle screw just mover the throttle stop, buy add material to the existing unit it could be allot easier.

Take cover off warm up motor use feeler gauges to get correct idle, then close off airscew and re adjust, take measurement, add material to existing stop

like i said no idea if that can be done but should not be too hard and free

once your idle is set with TPI no reason you need to adjust latter on

Has anybody checked into the Slaven's kit that adds an independent idle speed adjuster to the TPI which does not affect the air/fuel ratio?
'14 BMW R1200GS
'74 Norton Commando
Old 20-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasM View Post
Has anybody checked into the Slaven's kit that adds an independent idle speed adjuster to the TPI which does not affect the air/fuel ratio?
Mine came from the dealer with a phillips head screw in it, made mine alot better