dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Beta Forum

Beta Forum My bike is Beta than yours!

Old 04-03-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Problem is back again, charges slowly at idle but when the revs pick up it stops charging
The battery only has about 12.8V after a return from a ride. It is normally over 13 Volts.

I will try swapping a borrowed rectifier regulator tomorrow to see if that fixes the issue.

Intermittent electrical faults
Old 10-05-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Just an update. 2019 Beta 390 RR has been at the dealer for 3 weeks and the stator was changed. Although they said the old stator look good.

Next couple of rides same problem battery not charging past about 12.5 Volts.

Sent this video to the dealer and he said to drop the Beta back in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12d9JUogme8

At idle bike appears to charge, as the motor revs up the volts drop Is that normal?

Back to the dealer for another 10 days and still could not find a problem.

Today I went riding started with a fully charged battery 13.3V
After about half an hour of riding I checked the battery and it only had 1 light on.

I should explain that the Lithium battery has a test button built in and when the button is held down 1, 2, or 3 lights will illuminate 1 light means charge and voltage below 12.7V 2 lights on is medium about 12.9 v and 3 lights on means ok and volts 13 or more.

I swapped my battery with Michael bike as he had his efi 2017 Beta 430.
After 15 minutes riding, Michael's battery in my bike had drained back to 1 light. My battery in Michaels bike had charged up to 2 lights on.

Next we swapped rectifier/ regulators same result my bike 1 light and Michaels bike the battery now had 3 lights on.

Next we swapped over the three diode pack, capacitor, and another diode component.
Still my bike would not charge the battery. The voltage was about 12.3v all day. (Still enough to start the bike)
Yet Michaels bike with my battery, rec/reg, diodes etc was fully charged.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

I wonder if the magnets on flywheel are dodgy,or wiring harness or something electrical on the engine is draining to much power as the motor is reved up.
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

John, Did you check Michaels reg/rec output like your video? That should tell you if the voltage you are seeing is normal. It's possible you have a parasitic drain when running which is draining the battery faster than the alternator can top it up.

A KTM over on KTMTalk is experiencing a similar problem.

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?54...-Regulator-OK!

There might be helpful info in there for you.
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

oops double post
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Have you checked the magnets on the rotor are still in the correct spot? I had a Tm450 that drove me mad and it turned out the magnets had shifted. Re glued in the correct place and good to go. Other than that do a voltage drop test from the regulators output to the battery to see if you can pin point which side you are losing voltage on.

If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people.. House.
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser nate View Post
Have you checked the magnets on the rotor are still in the correct spot? I had a Tm450 that drove me mad and it turned out the magnets had shifted. Re glued in the correct place and good to go. Other than that do a voltage drop test from the regulators output to the battery to see if you can pin point which side you are losing voltage on.
No I have not checked the magnets and will need a fly wheel puller to do so.
The dealer had it apart to put the new stator in and should have spotted faulty magnet positions.

I believe the Beta electrical s take first use of the power then if any power left over goes to charge the battery.

I was riding all day with the headlight on, just as Beta designed the bike this way, with no on- off switch just high low beam.

When the headlight plug is pulled the battery does appear to charge quicker.
Old 11-05-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
John, Did you check Michaels reg/rec output like your video? That should tell you if the voltage you are seeing is normal. It's possible you have a parasitic drain when running which is draining the battery faster than the alternator can top it up.

A KTM over on KTMTalk is experiencing a similar problem.

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?54...-Regulator-OK!

There might be helpful info in there for you.
Testing on Michael s bike there appeared to be no dip as the revs increased, it kept charging the same amount at idle or reving.

The Dealer has a brand new 390 on the shop floor and he said it does similar to my bike.(Taking the reading at the battery) Except his bike has a fully charged 13.3 volts in the battery.
Mine was at about 12.4v when tested in the video

My regulator appears ok as it charges Michaels bike all day.
Old 14-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

- check that the wiring to the tail/stop light hasn't been grounded under the rear guard extension. The central bolt that holds the black plastic piece can easily pinch the wires that come under the rear subframe

- next I would strip back the outer sheathing of the harness around the steering head area near the point where the harness goes under the tank and check the common earth connection where Luigi has twisted all the black wires together and put a suggestion of solder on the joint
Old 14-05-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roon View Post
- check that the wiring to the tail/stop light hasn't been grounded under the rear guard extension. The central bolt that holds the black plastic piece can easily pinch the wires that come under the rear subframe

- next I would strip back the outer sheathing of the harness around the steering head area near the point where the harness goes under the tank and check the common earth connection where Luigi has twisted all the black wires together and put a suggestion of solder on the joint
And pull on the wires!!! That's where i found a loose one that needed rejoining. All is well now in the state Denmark!!!
Old 21-05-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Someone in the US having exactly the same problem?

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...a-efi-voltage/