dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Suspension

Suspension Proudly Supported by: www.shocktreatment.com.au

Old 23-05-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Axle should arrive tomorrow & the forks came back from Greg Ball* after I had the cart cap machined so it would fit up through the triples - minor oversight there!

After a dummy run, Hyde brake side spacer appears to line up the rotor in the middle of the Braking caliper hanger - now for the rh leg spacing..

* Shout out to Greg - timely, good value & great work so far. If it comes to needing custom spacers, he will do it easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2457.jpg (49.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 23-05-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Good to hey mate!! Not long now!!

If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people.. House.
Old 23-05-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Bit exciting isn't it I'm sure you will be happy its such a great mod.
Old 25-05-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Uh-huh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2460.jpg (68.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 25-05-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Wheel spacing question -

Background - the Beta spacers are the same width - i.e., the Beta wheel is centred between the Beta fork lugs.

Yamaha spacers are different sizes, yet still the wheel is centred, therefore the Yamaha rotor sits closer to the brake side fork lug than a Beta rotor sits in relation to the Beta brake side fork lug.

Now, the Braking adapter (POW13) is made for a Yamaha YZ to allow a 260mm front rotor.

So, when using the Braking adaptor on the SSS fork & spacing the left side of the axle for the Beta wheel, the rotor is fouling on the inside edge of the adaptor's brake pad cavity.

When measuring up for spacing, is the correct sequence -

* Centre the wheel first with spacers, then shim the caliper on the hanger with washers if necessary to line up the rotor between the pads?

* Or, space the brake side first with the caliper in it's natural (unshimmed) position, then worry about the wheel being centered?

As it stands, the spaced (with Hyde brake side spacer) Beta wheel & Braking POW13 set up isn't centred if the rotor & caliper are in alignment.
Old 25-05-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Both are viable choices. Which is the better choice depends on whether you ever plan on refitting the Sachs forks, how much spacing it needs and how good you are at truing wheels.
Old 25-05-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Which way round do you have the hyde spacers ? Mine is fine for disc spacing its the non disc side that needs work.

MM
Old 25-05-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty MOOSE View Post
Which way round do you have the hyde spacers ? Mine is fine for disc spacing its the non disc side that needs work.

MM
Fellas,

Thanks for your help. It only occurred to me this morning that the wheels being different dimensions-wise could be an issue. Also, we have to remember we are starting with different geometrys - the inside lug to inside lug measurements are 6mm smaller when you compare Sachs on a Beta to KYB SSS on a Beta.

Centering the wheel seems the most logical as otherwise the track of the bike will be off-axis, resulting in poor (& possibly dangerous) handling.

Smaller one on the brake side. The bigger spacer would push the rotor onto the hanger even more in my case.

Marty, do you have a stock Beta front wheel with stock rotor and bolts?
Old 25-05-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Yes all std
Old 25-05-2017
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by katokonvert View Post
Fellas,

Thanks for your help. It only occurred to me this morning that the wheels being different dimensions-wise could be an issue. Also, we have to remember we are starting with different geometrys - the inside lug to inside lug measurements are 6mm smaller when you compare Sachs on a Beta to KYB SSS on a Beta.

Centering the wheel seems the most logical as otherwise the track of the bike will be off-axis, resulting in poor (& possibly dangerous) handling.

Smaller one on the brake side. The bigger spacer would push the rotor onto the hanger even more in my case.

Marty, do you have a stock Beta front wheel with stock rotor and bolts?
Agreed. I'd suggest centre the rim, not the hub, between the fork legs. I'd expect the hub to be central as well but the rim alignment is the critical part. Then fit spacers to the axle to hold the hub in this location. Now you can space the caliper as required.