dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Husaberg Forum

Husaberg Forum For people that like their KTM motor bent over!

Old 31-12-2018
dbw Pro

Strange noise from engine

Hi all,

Just wondering if any one has experienced a whining noise from there Berg, particulaly the 70 degrees engine.

I have a FE390 2010 and went for a ride yesterday and it started to make this whining sound from the engine. Didnt loose any power but it didn't go away. I changed the clutch not so long as and through that may have been the problem but took the plates out and the noise was still there.

Drained the oil and filter and although I expected to see a large amount of metal there wasn't hardly any.

Have attached a short video so hopefully that works.

Am going to strip the bike down to see what it could be although wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Cheers
Old 31-12-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Shove the blunt-handle-end of a screwdriver in your ear:
Use it like a stethoscope & have a thorough poke around.
Spy the oil filler cap off with it running just cause ya can.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 31-12-2018
The "One" and only

Water pump would be first suspect.

Cam chain buffer
Valve gear
Crap in primary drive
Kickstart detent spring broken

Is it evident in neutral?
Rpm related?

Pop the clutch basket off and retest, that'll isolate the issue re: box Vs motor.

Don't place too much faith in stethoscopes because noise resonates through the whole motor. I know of a goose who pulled an entire Harley gearbox apart looking for a noise that was in the compensator...
Old 01-01-2019
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret82 View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering if any one has experienced a whining noise from there Berg, particulaly the 70 degrees engine.

I have a FE390 2010 and went for a ride yesterday and it started to make this whining sound from the engine. Didnt loose any power but it didn't go away. I changed the clutch not so long as and through that may have been the problem but took the plates out and the noise was still there.

Drained the oil and filter and although I expected to see a large amount of metal there wasn't hardly any.

Have attached a short video so hopefully that works.

Am going to strip the bike down to see what it could be although wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Cheers
Hardly any, should be none.

I've drained oil from V8's that have chewed up a roller lifter, hardly any metal in he drained oil, but you wanna see what lays in the sump.