dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 26-10-2010
dbw Pro Legend

yes.. before rebuild it hafd a 165 mainjet.. mechanic changed it ..

pitty he didnt give me old jet back..

suppose i just go to ktm dealer and buy new mj and smaller pilot jet?
Old 27-10-2010
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hori View Post
yes.. before rebuild it hafd a 165 mainjet.. mechanic changed it ..

pitty he didnt give me old jet back..

suppose i just go to ktm dealer and buy new mj and smaller pilot jet?
What did he do in the rebuild? did he mod it in some way? I can't understand why he would go that rich.
Old 27-10-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hori View Post
im thinking diff octane fuels would make a differance also...sat we put 91 unleaded in the 300 and it ran pretty good, sunday we put in 98 from differant servo the bike was a pig , stuttering at low revs took till 4th gear before it would come nice n crisp.. ended up fouling a plug on a big downhill .. we did not have any problems like this on saturday and did slower riding due to more hills

sats fuel was shell sundays was caltex ?

any thoughts on this?

170 mj sure pilot is a 42 ? from memory i know it is in the 40's
I have never had much luck with Caltex fuels. My WR450 used to misfire badly when using Caltex, particully when getting to the end of the tank which is normally a sign of water in the fuel. I always seem to get better fuel economy in cars with Shell as well. Even with diesel it seems to make 10 to 15% difference. A lot of Caltex servos advertise that they sell bio-fuels with blends in most of there fuels. Shell on the other hand advertise ethanol free, apart from E10 of course. Its hard to know what to believe though as people also claim that they see the same truck filling different brand servos!
Old 28-10-2010
dbw Pro Addict

It's also worth noting that the slide can be changed to provide a richer/leaner sitting over the whole operating range of the bike. The Yanks mostly have a thing for running a 7.5 or 7 slide without the notch.

The Jap bikes using the same PWK carbs run a 40+ pilot typically. There have been a number of people reporting very good results running the leaner slide and bigger pilot setup. I'd be interested to give it a try.
Old 28-10-2010
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by >moto< View Post
It's also worth noting that the slide can be changed to provide a richer/leaner sitting over the whole operating range of the bike. The Yanks mostly have a thing for running a 7.5 or 7 slide without the notch.

The Jap bikes using the same PWK carbs run a 40+ pilot typically. There have been a number of people reporting very good results running the leaner slide and bigger pilot setup. I'd be interested to give it a try.
Even the guys not running the leaner slide seem to think the J needles work better with a bigger pilot, I ordered a 38 PJ today so I will see how it goes.
Old 29-10-2010
dbw Pro Addict

Maybe, but I think that's far too rich for stock. The slide, and in particular the notch, effect the pilot circuit enabling a larger pilot to be run without going rich.

Some people like a bigger pilot with the stock set-up because it dulls the bikes power down and/or they don't know any better.
Old 29-10-2010
dbw Pro Legend

I believe they are harder to ride when rich down low, as they burble and carry on then take of with a almighty rush in the midrange. If they are jetted nice and crisp down low, then slightly rich on the main jet, the power comes on nice and strong down low without taking off like a scalded cat when moving into the top end.
Old 31-10-2010
dbw Pro

my 2011 300 is running
n2zk needle position 2 clip
pilot jet 35
main jet 165
air screw 1 turn out.
500feet above sea
was way rich out of the box, yet to ride it properly to make sure i'm happy with it now! (may go to a 162 main) Still learning this jetting for 2 smoker's thing. great post btw. keep it going, we may all learn something!!!
Old 31-10-2010
dbw Pro Addict

i agree with all of the above comments, once you have blown said amount of dollars for no good reason, piss it off and fit a 38mm.
Old 31-10-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMMAD View Post
What did he do in the rebuild? did he mod it in some way? I can't understand why he would go that rich.
i asked to check the jetting.. he was possibly looking after the brand new rebuild and didnt want it run to lean?

it is a total pain in the bum at the moment flutters bad going thru the gears..

pretty sure it was a 162 origionaly , so ill have to go buy a few and test.