dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 06-04-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzman86 View Post
What sort of wire is it? Obviously something more ductile than what i have - it keeps snapping....
Grip wire

07 YZ250
Old 06-04-2011
dbw Pro Addict

Scotty will sell you a big faarken roll of it and the proper pliers, can't remember the figure when I bought mine, but I do remeber thinking how cheap it was.
Old 06-04-2011
dbw Factory Pro

I bought my tie wire pliers and a roll of wire from Torpedo7 for $20.

Have served me well.

08 300 EXC-E
Old 12-07-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Sorry to thread mine, but would a longer throttle cable fix this issue as well?

2010 Katie 300
Old 12-07-2011
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
No, the outer gets yanked out, the inner stays put, result throttle slide lifts.
Old 12-07-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Just tie wire the thing in mikey it stops all the problems i did mine after it happening in a bog hole and i flipped it bad..

JB

Home Loans & Bike Finance for DBW users PM JB for details
(29yrs in the game)
Old 12-07-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Last September, I was riding to just go and get the mail, a 4km trip each way on our property. On the way back, our driveway has a slight left than right turn coming up a hill. On turning left, the throttle cable bowed out and got caught around the handlebar clamps. When I turned back to the right, it ripped the throttle cable out of the throttle housing, causing full throttle.
My next memory was waking up on our lounge room floor covered in blood, wondering what the hell had happened. I still dont remember getting home and I collapsed 2 more times and spent the night in hospital getting scans and tests.
Having grown up on the farm and now having our own bike park, riding without a helmet to do "small jobs" is something ive done many times over the years. Im glad I decided to wear one this time or I wouldnt be here now.
I wrote a letter to KTM about what had happened. At first they seemed concerned and wanted to do something about the problem. They asked for photos and more info to send to the factory. They claim to have never heard of the issue before, despite a quick search of the internet showing that it has been a common problem.
Their concern though was short lived, almost as though their lawyers said, "don't admit liabillity" There response was as my bike had aftermarket handlebar clamps, that it wasnt a issue. They even suggested that my bike was missing a clip on the throttle cable, which is not so as there are only 2 plastic clips that hold the cable to the clutch line standard. I even checked a brand new bike at a dealers to confirm.
The crazy thing is, it would only take a new cable with the adjusters crimped onto the end of the cable to solve the problem. Maybe a $10 part!
Fourstrokes and most Japanese 2 strokes, have the cable secured into the throttle. If there's ever a bike that you dont want the throttle comming on flat out when you least expect it, it would have to be a 300 2 stroke.
I would not ride another bike without the cable lock wired. In the end, I sold my 300 as I lost confidence in it and was riding slower than I used to.
It would be great if a aftermarket company such as Motion Pro came up with a secure throttle cable. Because its crazy to spend $13000 on a new dirtbike and have to lockwire it up to make it safe.
Old 12-07-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB View Post
Last September, I was riding to just go and get the mail, a 4km trip each way on our property. On the way back, our driveway has a slight left than right turn coming up a hill. On turning left, the throttle cable bowed out and got caught around the handlebar clamps. When I turned back to the right, it ripped the throttle cable out of the throttle housing, causing full throttle.
My next memory was waking up on our lounge room floor covered in blood, wondering what the hell had happened. I still dont remember getting home and I collapsed 2 more times and spent the night in hospital getting scans and tests.
Having grown up on the farm and now having our own bike park, riding without a helmet to do "small jobs" is something ive done many times over the years. Im glad I decided to wear one this time or I wouldnt be here now.
I wrote a letter to KTM about what had happened. At first they seemed concerned and wanted to do something about the problem. They asked for photos and more info to send to the factory. They claim to have never heard of the issue before, despite a quick search of the internet showing that it has been a common problem.
Their concern though was short lived, almost as though their lawyers said, "don't admit liabillity" There response was as my bike had aftermarket handlebar clamps, that it wasnt a issue. They even suggested that my bike was missing a clip on the throttle cable, which is not so as there are only 2 plastic clips that hold the cable to the clutch line standard. I even checked a brand new bike at a dealers to confirm.
The crazy thing is, it would only take a new cable with the adjusters crimped onto the end of the cable to solve the problem. Maybe a $10 part!
Fourstrokes and most Japanese 2 strokes, have the cable secured into the throttle. If their's ever a bike that you dont want the throttle comming on flat out when you least expect it, it would have to be a 300 2 stroke.
I would not ride another bike without the cable lock wired. In the end, I sold my 300 as I lost confidence in it and was riding slower than I used to.
It would be great if a aftermarket company such as Motion Pro came up with a secure throttle cable. Because its crazy to spend $13000 on a new dirtbike and have to lockwire it up to make it safe.
It's just fricken incredible innit, they must know full well about the problem coz they pretty much all do it and it's been very well documented. Mine has just started locking on whenever I give it WOT and I've stupidly gone out for another ride with it like that... Will certainly be fixing it before I ride again - after reading all these horror stories!
Thanks for sharing mate!

2010 Katie 300
Old 18-07-2011
dbw Pro

Hey after reading this thread i went straight out to the shed and lockwired my cable ends ,lucky for me it has not been ripped out yet but a fair chance it will happen the way i ride or Slide on the ground .Thanks for tip guys
Old 18-07-2011
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBKTM300 View Post
Just tie wire the thing in mikey it stops all the problems i did mine after it happening in a bog hole and i flipped it bad..

JB
Turns out mine was just a jammed up cable, not the cable coming off. Lubed it up and it was fine again. Will wire it as well tho one day...

2010 Katie 300