dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Project Bikes

Project Bikes Proudly Sponsored by: www.twostrokeperformance.com.au

Old 27-02-2013
DBW Expert

Where are you finding most your bits and pieces?? Always looking for something cheaper.....

I found CRF's only pretty good, for the overall package I ordered, couldn't match the price. I did get it at a good $$ conversion which helps also.
Old 27-02-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Try these folks - bought some CRF and XR stuff from them.

http://www.atvunlimited.com/searchRe...urce=SBfitment

2008 KLX450R

2000 XR400R - Gone to a new home
Old 27-02-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Ebay.
I just did some direct comparison price wise across my notepad list and C/O isn't that much more exxy but im including the freight on lots of separate parts from ebay, i have no idea on what C/O will charge for freight either so that has to go on as well.
If i was was buy everything separate from C/O and pay freight likewise there would be a huge advantage in ebays favor.
Old 27-02-2013
Prime Monostar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideo View Post
Ebay.
I just did some direct comparison price wise across my notepad list and C/O isn't that much more exxy but im including the freight on lots of separate parts from ebay, i have no idea on what C/O will charge for freight either so that has to go on as well.
If i was was buy everything separate from C/O and pay freight likewise there would be a huge advantage in ebays favor.
How Much will it cost in parts?
I saw a compete 250R engine on eBay USA for $1600
They had 4 engines available
Old 27-02-2013
dbw Pro Legend

I'm up to around $1500 to my door.
I did look into a whole motor a week or so back but decided against it at that stage until i knew what i was up for with the motor that i have.
For similar or more money than what i am looking at now to get an unknown s/h donk i think i will play it safe and rebuild this one then i know what i have got.
Old 28-02-2013
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideo View Post
Ebay.
Fair enough, yeah you've gotta do the order in one hit to make the postage worth it, just like RMATV.

I think it's smarter to go with the rebuild rather than buying a whole motor, as you said, you'll know exactly what's gone into yours, who knows what ya getting otherwise.....
Old 01-03-2013
dbw Pro

powersportsplus.com for all parts aftermarket and OEM.
Old 03-03-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Shame it wasn't an X model...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Heaven View Post

The guy i built this for has a blown motor 07 CRF 250 r let me know what you need
Any word from that bloke yet?
Old 03-03-2013
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

I haven't seen anything cheaper than mrcycles.om so far for OEM parts?

With the heads they made em higher velocity on the intake side I think it was on 2006R, then both sides on 2007R (which the X head is based on) and then 08 they started going for the more rectangular profile with longer divider and then 09 they changed the combustion chamber a bit and some minor port work. I guess logically the 09R is the best head for it, but for some reason my 08R head seemed to work better, but my 09R has excyldene valves with steel retainers versus my 08R head with faction SS valves and Ti retainers. Was a bit dissapointed in the 09 head to be honest...

Then you gotta decide on piston OEM was 13.1 since 08 IIRC and 12.9 before that and 1.5 back in 2005. The JE is a good solid piston at 13.2 (sometimes advertised as a 13.5 but I think that was a using the 04 head gasket).
Old 03-03-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
I haven't seen anything cheaper than mrcycles.om so far for OEM parts?

With the heads they made em higher velocity on the intake side I think it was on 2006R, then both sides on 2007R (which the X head is based on) and then 08 they started going for the more rectangular profile with longer divider and then 09 they changed the combustion chamber a bit and some minor port work. I guess logically the 09R is the best head for it, but for some reason my 08R head seemed to work better, but my 09R has excyldene valves with steel retainers versus my 08R head with faction SS valves and Ti retainers. Was a bit dissapointed in the 09 head to be honest...

Then you gotta decide on piston OEM was 13.1 since 08 IIRC and 12.9 before that and 1.5 back in 2005. The JE is a good solid piston at 13.2 (sometimes advertised as a 13.5 but I think that was a using the 04 head gasket).
Thanks for the info it will help me making a decision on what combo to put together.
One more Q on the heads, is an X and R cam the same for reasons of mounting?
As in is an R cam for sale online going to fit into an X head and vice versa?

Do you have a baseline for the jetting needs? This thing has been fkd around with apparently so i would like to get it half right before i fire it up. I'll probly be going with standard comp [around 13-1] at this stage.

So what about the forks/geometry, i haven't read of any longterm reviews on the 04 R but was there any issues where i may want to consider mounting up later model triples and the like?