dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Project Bikes

Project Bikes Proudly Sponsored by: www.twostrokeperformance.com.au

Old 12-07-2014
Banned

KLX450R refresh

Battery is $129 for the 220cca one, let me know when ready, stock is 2 secs from my house

They do feel like a heavy bike, any weight saving is good on a 450 (think they feel heavier than a wr450 but not sure if they are)
Old 12-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Ill let you know about the battery then,when I removed the standard exhaust it weighed 4kg and with the rear fender brace and tail light assembly came in at 1kg new pro circuit exhaust is under 2kg so that and the fender brace etc gone has saved 3kg alone,I reckon battery and speedo will be between 1-2kg saving but that might be lost with extra coolant on board but I will live with that.
Old 12-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Nice work Glenn, yes it takes longer to get the job done when you do it yourself as you have to wait to see what is needed when on a budget, you have better piece of mind IMO as you know exactly what was done/not done and done properly and not charged as if it was done. Its looking good and will back together before you know it.

"PALS"
Old 12-07-2014
Banned

Think crazy horse had a top blinged klx450r, I know Craig had his blinged up a bit.
His starter and battery setup was annoying him, was kicking it after only a few stops into a ride...best fit the best starting setup you can.
Old 12-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

yeh the charging system is no good,have been there and done that with kick starting it,never again.I just disconnect the headlight and bought a new standard battery which I keep on a battery tender and it has never been a problem since,not sure if the charging system is good enough to run a lithium battery without having it on a tender
Old 13-07-2014
dbw Pro

Mods

Great thread, keen to see where you end up.
I fitted a kx fuel tank and shrouds to mine, slimmed it up nicely and fuel range is actually not to bad (80kms trail riding).
Kick starting from cold is a fact of life unfortunately....
Great bike tho, amazing how many people don't know they exist......
12 KLX 450R
11 Suz ozark....
Old 13-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Yeh I think that's an illusion with this bike as it's quite wide through the shrouds area,I think thats about to get worse for me as the new radiators will push things out a bit more,I had KX shrouds at one point with a 12L tank and that made it feel like a really heavy bike up front even though there was no extra weight apart from fuel if I wanted 12L in there.From standard there was so much crap jammed on the bars and speedo area that it made it look so front heavy,once I have a new speedo it will transform the way it looks up front.
Old 13-07-2014
dbw Pro Addict

Looking good Glensy. I'm going to have get another go now so I can feel the before and after.

Good onya Wayne for helping out too
Old 19-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Chinga radiators are now in,ftitment was pretty good,where they bolt to the bikes frame lines up perfectly,just needed to cut away the brackets that hold the OEM plastic louvres to the radiator and then that allowed the radiator guards to fit back on,it's a bit of a tight fit between the guard and radiator but the extra strength of the new rads should make up for it.

Just waiting on some more parts to arrive so we can shim the valves and start her up.The Y hose kit also fits ok,they just need trimming to length which I won't do until the boysen water pump kit arrives.Have also wrapped the header pipe and re packed the muffler as it's long over due after being in there for over 80hrs and going under water twice.

Also ordering in all the parts I need have been an eye opener,I ordered parts from China,USA and Aussie all on the same day and the overseas stuff all arrived a good 3-4 days before the local stuff,and australia post wonders why profits are down.I did another order to RMATV wednesday this week and it arrived at brisbane airport on friday which is super quick-I bet it stays there until mid next week before delivery.On a sad note I where possible get all my OEM stuff from Mototech as they are great to deal with and cheaper than the local kawasaki dealer network but they have now had the kawasaki franchise removed and can no longer supply kawasaki parts.
Old 22-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Boysen water pump kit arrived today so after work pulled off the old one and fitted the new one,I nearly made a very bad mistake,had nipped up the water pump cover bolts and started to torque them to specs and noticed a shiny bolt in one of my rags,turns out I didn't fit the impeller bolt back on which wouldn't have been nice if I didn't happen to see it sitting there.here are some comparison pics of old vs Boysen

The KX450 airbox arrived also so I pulled apart to give it a clean and this airbox was full of dust in the intake boot as well,pulling the backfire screen revealed this to be full of dust to so ill also silicone it back together to get a good seal,here is the difference between the two airbox's

KLX

KXF

I have also cut to length the radiaior hoses so that side of things are now installed and ready for coolant,with waynes help we will shim the valves on the weekend and get her fired up,in the meantime ill be fitting the remainder of the new plastics and the airbox and will be ready to ride,it's been a long wait.