dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Project Bikes

Project Bikes Proudly Sponsored by: www.twostrokeperformance.com.au

Old 26-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Only thing left to do now is shim the valves and get her started,and make a mount for the battery and cdi

Old 26-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

nice work, the new water pump impeller, rad hoses and rads will certainly tame the temperature for sure. I think a vast majority of those chinese radiators are just seriously impressive given their price, effectiveness and general greater strength compared with OEM radiators. My WRF used to run very hot at times and could be a right biarch to start but these days with the chinga radiators its way cooler, even in the tight stuff.
Old 26-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Glen, can you tell me where the KLX450 originally fit in the whole dirtbike scene. Is it a soft dual purpose like the DRZ400 or a more extreme like the KTM EXC range or somewhere in between.
I assume it is rego-able.
Old 26-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

It's kawasaki's first 450 enduro bike and is based on the 06-08 KX450F,It's not a soft dual purpose bike but it isn't a hard edged enduro bike like the KTM etc,It's virtually bullet proof in design and function and the weight reflects this,comparable to the wr450f of the same era,good solid and reliable engine that takes a beating.

Alot of parts from the KX swap over and really wake the bike up and yes the bike is ADR approved.
Old 26-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt200rg View Post
nice work, the new water pump impeller, rad hoses and rads will certainly tame the temperature for sure. I think a vast majority of those chinese radiators are just seriously impressive given their price, effectiveness and general greater strength compared with OEM radiators. My WRF used to run very hot at times and could be a right biarch to start but these days with the chinga radiators its way cooler, even in the tight stuff.
Yup quality is awesome with the rads,the stockers would nearly bend if you looked at them for too long,have also found that the tighter the trails got the hotter the bike would feel,I'm not a fast rider and can be stuck on the odd hill trying to get up so the cooling upgrades will come in very handy
Old 26-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend
Inaugural Winner POTY - 2013

Looks good. Biggest issue for heat generation riding in the Beerburrum area is air flow due to the technical nature of some of it. Whilst increasing the volume of coolant and new pump will help the biggest improvement will come from a fan. Good luck with the rest of the build. Where did you source your radiators? My 'berg's are looking a tad sad.
Old 26-07-2014
dbw Factory Pro

Do the water pump impellers look like they should rotate in different directions?
Old 26-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Looks good. Biggest issue for heat generation riding in the Beerburrum area is air flow due to the technical nature of some of it. Whilst increasing the volume of coolant and new pump will help the biggest improvement will come from a fan. Good luck with the rest of the build. Where did you source your radiators? My 'berg's are looking a tad sad.
The radiators were the GPI ones,A bit of research showed that quite a few of the ebay sellers just on sell the GPI ones,I went with the one that had the best feedback.A fan will be on the to do list if it ever needs it but as of yet the bike was coping with the stock set up,new radiators and impeller kit is just extra insurance
Old 26-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaDubR View Post
Do the water pump impellers look like they should rotate in different directions?
was actually looking back at the photos and noticed that the new impeller looked like it would flow the other way so I removed the cover to check and the blades look to be more of a swish design that doesn't favour one way or the other where as the stock one is very directional

Here is a better pic from their site that shows the blade design

http://www.boyesen.com/supercooler-kits-48.html

It had me a little worried that it was the wrong impeller but the company blurb sort of explains the weird design...

"The patented impeller is 25 percent more efficient at moving water than stock systems. The design reduces fluid cavitation, which increases cooling capacity.The Supercooler's impeller is designed to be HYDRODYNAMICALLY EFFICIENT, meaning that it not only propels the cooling fluid into the engine without cavitation, but it demands less parasitic loss from the engine. These two factors allow your bike's engine to produce more horsepower and most importantly MAINTAIN that output throughout the long summer motos, or in muddy conditions. Boyesen's patented Pro-Flow anti-cavitation impeller is one of the most beneficial performance improvements when comparing the Supercooler to stock waterpump systems. The anti-cavitation performance of the Pro-Flow impeller increases overall coolant flow rates and increases your bike's ability to handle high heat dissipation.
Old 26-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Bike looks the goods Glenn with the new plastics, have you picked up some clears blank stickers for it before you ride it on the trail? I believe Ring master make em standard for most models for around $20, need to confirm for your self tho, or others have made them up them selves, preserves the look of the bike longer...just sayin

"PALS"