dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Photos

Photos Pics of members, their bikes etc.....

Old 30-04-2013
dbw Pro

Photo editing software for Mac computer

So I got my first digital SLR camera and trying to edit some of the pics I have taken so far. I'm using Iphoto at the moment but just curious as to what other Mac users are using. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Cheers

If it aint orange its a lemon!!!
Old 30-04-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Adobe Photoshop.

I have CS5.1 (creative suite). Might be a newer version out now, I just downloaded it from a Torrent site.

It's complicated and will take up more of your time and brain power. Use 'You Tube' video tutorials for tips/ideas to progress faster. I've had it a couple years and still have bugger all idea what I am doing!

The things you can do on it are endless if that is what you're looking for. Otherwise stick with the basic program for a while till you're bored with it.

Without photoshop...

With photoshop...

Last edited by Benny Amaha; 30-04-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 30-04-2013
dbw Pro

Aperture

Hey Mate,

I have been using "aperture" on the mac for about the past 3 or so years and i really like it.

The interface is not as simple as the likes of iphoto.

Photoshop is an awesome product but i don't find aperture as cumbersome to use for the level of editing that i want to do (amateur at best ), i find it particularly useful if you want to edit lots of photos in a session too...

It opens them on a strip down the bottom so you kind of always have your photo organizer open down the bottom, all the settings you could ever want to change are down one side and you just turn them on or off and adjust and then the editing window is in the middle.

Nice thing about photoshop is you can get heaps of free actions that take the hard work out of it. So say you take a photo at a wedding and you want that soft milky look that people seem to be going for. Download a wedding shot action and apply it. No need to dick about with levels, contrast adding layers...etc...its like a macro in excel, does everything for you.

I grabbed both off a torrent quite easily
2002 Suzuki RM125
1992 Yamaha YZ125
Old 30-04-2013
Foot long Sav

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTRUCTALUX View Post
Adobe Photoshop.

I have CS5.1 (creative suite). Might be a newer version out now, I just downloaded it from a Torrent site.............
That photo could have possibly looked even better with HDR processing.
CLICK
You take 3 images, under over and correctly exposed, in RAW format and they are then combined into one.
It gives awesome depth to the pics if done properly.

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.

The opposite of success isn't failure, it's 'giving up'.
Old 30-04-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battered Sav View Post
That photo could have possibly looked even better with HDR processing.
CLICK
You take 3 images, under over and correctly exposed, in RAW format and they are then combined into one.
It gives awesome depth to the pics if done properly.
Thanks Sav... will give it a go and see how it turns out
Old 01-05-2013
Hunting panthers in California

Photo shop is awesome, great for removing unwanted objects from pics or enhancing images. The possibilities are endless and after all its what all the pro's use. YouTube is your friend when starting off. Fwiw you should be able to find a free torrent of the latest PS on pirate bay. Not worth paying for if your only gonna fiddle around with it.
Old 01-05-2013
dbw Pro

Awesome cheers for the suggestions, I'm going to try get both of them today and just see which suits me best and/or which one I can actually use.

Cheers

If it aint orange its a lemon!!!
Old 18-06-2017
DBW Dweller

If you are not familiar with photo editing, Photoshop will be difficult for you. And it contains to many options amateurs do not need. I'd start with https://aurorahdr.com/, simple and user-friendly software for Mac. And it has lots of tutorials, so it's relatively easy to master.
Old 19-06-2017
DBW Expert

I don't really do any editing, except changing exposure/ contrast etc, or cropping, which you can do in Preview anyway. The main thing I need to do is reduce the size of whole bunches of photos. Rather than doing it one at a time I use an app called EasyBatchPhoto. You have to buy it but it's not much, and it's great - you can drop any number of photos into it and it will zip through and resize them all to the specifications you set. I couldn't live without it.
Old 19-06-2017
dbw Pro Champion

It depends what you want to do with your pics, but Adobe Lightroom is excellent for adjusting colours, contrast etc for photos, like in the pic above. Pretty sure it would be a lot easier to learn than photoshop too (never used photoshop so but Lightroom is fairly straightforward).