dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Competition & Racing

Competition & Racing Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.jdjetting.com.au

Old 16-06-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Yeah finished in pos 339-341. Came home in 3h40m
KTM 690r - gone
Old 19-06-2017
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipo View Post
Well that's Finke done and dusted. Got my 3rd dog spike from 3 attempts and I think I'm done.

Jeez you had a bit of support up there mate. seen a few "Go Kipo" signs on the side of the track haha!!
Old 19-06-2017
DBW Expert

What a Finke trip!

It was eventful. Lost my phone at 160km ruins after camping for pre run. Got it back upon return to Roxby!!

Had a terrible prologue. went off the track a couple times....stalled it once trying to get back on. Oh well will have to deal with the back of the pack on race day 1. Finished 307th in 2015 so goal was to improve on that this year. starting 450 ish was gonna be tough.....Off to a good start and passed a fair few bikes early on without being silly and passing people in the dust.....then whack got out of rhythm in the dunes just before the 40km dune. Banged my knee up and felt like i was gonna throw up so had all my gear off (Helmet, camel pack, armour and neck brace). Wasnt sure if i was gonna get back on or not. Thanks to the awesome people that picked me up and sat me down so i could get my stuff together!! Thought ill get going and get to first fuel stop...got there and thought ahh just finish. Got to finke in 3.56minutes in 396 position so was pretty happy after the time i spent on the side of the track and how cautious i was after the off.

Few froffies and some voltaren helped and woke up feeling not to bad. Got to Alice in 3 hours 39 minutes so was pretty happy to get over the line. Had a little off with about 9kms to go and twisted the knee again. Finished 330 odd so all in all im happy to get my second spike.....Already looking forward to next trip!!

Well done to everypne that finished....it was pretty crazy!!

Also lost my gopro on the stack day 1. Left phone number with the awesome people that picked me up and they found it in the dirt and returned it on the tuesday!! Bloody awesome!

Last edited by Biglumpy; 19-06-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 19-06-2017
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglumpy View Post
Jeez you had a bit of support up there mate. seen a few "Go Kipo" signs on the side of the track haha!!
Yeah, some good friends out there.

R.I.P Ronnie Neill 2/12/62 - 31/1/09

"Lifes short, ride lots"
Current Bikes
2004 Honda XR650R, 2013 KTM 300 EXC, 2007 DRZ400, 2012 Sherco 250 Trials, 2003 Postie,
Past Bikes
KTM 950 ADV, DR650, XR600, XR500 X 2, WR250F, Suzi RM125S, Suzi RM400, 77 RM250B, Yam TY250, Honda TL250, Honda TL125, Beta 250,Yam RT1 360 about 3, Yam DT125A, Jawa 500 Speedway, Yam IT175, Honda QA50, Suzuki PE 250 T, Honda 400 4 (roadie), Plus a few I've forgotten, or would rather forget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleyam View Post
In fact I think if it wasn't for the guys that were faster than us we would have won.
Old 20-06-2017
DBW Dweller

Good event!
Finally home yesterday.

I went home via the simpsons desert.
Whole trip was about 7300kms so it took its toll on me.

Firstly sorry Red I didn't see your PM about the bbq as I was on the road.
Would have really enjoyed that, especially considering how rubbish my
caravan park was at Gap View. A night with some blokes around a fire
would have been great.

I had a shitty prologue as I was flat out trying to get my bike re-scruitneered etc in the morning and didn't even get a chance to look at the track till I took off, got dusted by two top 30 guys and lost time waiting for the dust to drop down so I knew where I was going and just kinda cruised.

Day 1 I passed about 20 people and was just cruising trying to get to the finish and find a groove. About 3/4 point i got the conditions all figured out and started getting on it and picked off about 10 people in the last 10 mins.

Day 2 I was FARRRKED, stiff as a board, was cruising and getting passed but I just couldn't care just wanted to finish. About halfway I started to loosen up and picked up my pace and got back past most of them. I got stuck behind this one quad whose riding style was just throwing dust in every direction, no joke 30 mins to pass this guy. Couldn't see a word and was just hovering behind him till I got a perfect opportunity of wind and slight right hand corner for me to be able to see to get past. Had a few near offs at high speed trying to do it before that so got a bit timid.

Got to the end feeling pretty ecstatic that I finished. Early on I realized that my goals of top 100 were completely unrealistic. I'm just too small and the bike was knocking me around the whole time.

Got to see some great sights, great event. I dont think I will be back, just too hard logistically hard for me to get out there and the time off work etc. Plus the event was pretty taxing. Glad that I did it though!

Saw old mate yz fixing his spokes on the side of the track when I came through day 2. Guy in the wheel chair passed me like i wasn't even moving.
My goal day 2 was to beat miles davis, passed him on track but he beat me on time.
Old 21-06-2017
dbw Pro

Got my 4th from 4 spike this year And the biggest win for me was the fact this year was the first time there was no trip to hospital involved at all haha. My goal this year was to put it inside the top 50. Coming home in 58th in 2015 with a fractured wrist was a tough pill to swallow.

Had a good week pre-running doing roughly 800km riding, unfortunately of all that we only got as far as the 120km mark... Something that definitely hampered our results on race day once we got past there.... But a huge week of riding none the less and a lot of testing completed meaning we were all pretty much ready to go.

Prologue was a decent run, was lined up with a guy who had previously finished inside the top 50 (my aim for this year) He got the jump on me but I held it on and stayed right with him, made the pass about 2km in on that next big straight coming back towards the drag strip. Unfortunately after that he passed me back out the back and dusted me, I jumped off the track through the next whoops section which slowed me down a bit. But managed to bring it in for 48th on the grid for day 1.

Day 1 got an awesome start which kept my goggle clean through the wet first straight! Got passed in the 2nd corner by 1 rider but stayed in that position for the stadium section, once out of the stadium I was finding my way past people through the dust better than I thought, and made up a few spots before deep well. Had a nice safe run all day and made some good time coming in 15 minutes faster than my last effort in 2015. After day 1 to my surprise I had worked my way up to 28th outright.

Day 2 started with an average start, stuck in some dust and having a small crash only about 15km into the race... Took a little while to get back up to speed but was riding safe and feeling good on the bike still, after such a good day on day 1 I was hoping to hold around the same position but with my goal being a top 50 I was happy with anything inside there. Made it past Deep Well and feeling good I started to push harder again to the finish line. Got to about the 30/35km mark when it all came undone...... I'm not sure exactly where it happened but I think it was on a whooped out left hander somewhere?? Anyway got the timing wrong jumping through the whoops and sent me sailing over the bars. I landed flat on my back and not knowing what had happened a staring at the sky some spectators helped me off the track where I caught my breath and gathered my bearings. After a few minutes I got back up to check my bike and she was looking a bit worse for wear, front mudguard was gone, headlight smashed and a bit bent up. I got back on and surprisingly still felt ok so gave it what I could for the last 30km and brought her home, minus a front guard and headlight

I finished in 31st position outright, which while I am over the moon with to be in the top 50. Am still frustrated with myself as going off my speed and times, had I not have crashed twice on day 2 I feel I would've finished around 24/25th. I had told myself that if I could get a top 50 I would be done, now that the dust has settled though.... I think there might be some unfinished business, I know I have the speed to put it in the top 30, and feel that with some hard work and a little bit of luck could potentially knock on the door of a top 20 plate... So bring on Finke 2018!!!

Here's a before and after of my beautiful girl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8314.jpg (103.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8320.jpg (105.8 KB, 59 views)
Old 21-06-2017
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikal52 View Post
Got my 4th from 4 spike this year And the biggest win for me was the fact this year was the first time there was no trip to hospital involved at all haha. My goal this year was to put it inside the top 50. Coming home in 58th in 2015 with a fractured wrist was a tough pill to swallow.

Had a good week pre-running doing roughly 800km riding, unfortunately of all that we only got as far as the 120km mark... Something that definitely hampered our results on race day once we got past there.... But a huge week of riding none the less and a lot of testing completed meaning we were all pretty much ready to go.

Prologue was a decent run, was lined up with a guy who had previously finished inside the top 50 (my aim for this year) He got the jump on me but I held it on and stayed right with him, made the pass about 2km in on that next big straight coming back towards the drag strip. Unfortunately after that he passed me back out the back and dusted me, I jumped off the track through the next whoops section which slowed me down a bit. But managed to bring it in for 48th on the grid for day 1.

Day 1 got an awesome start which kept my goggle clean through the wet first straight! Got passed in the 2nd corner by 1 rider but stayed in that position for the stadium section, once out of the stadium I was finding my way past people through the dust better than I thought, and made up a few spots before deep well. Had a nice safe run all day and made some good time coming in 15 minutes faster than my last effort in 2015. After day 1 to my surprise I had worked my way up to 28th outright.

Day 2 started with an average start, stuck in some dust and having a small crash only about 15km into the race... Took a little while to get back up to speed but was riding safe and feeling good on the bike still, after such a good day on day 1 I was hoping to hold around the same position but with my goal being a top 50 I was happy with anything inside there. Made it past Deep Well and feeling good I started to push harder again to the finish line. Got to about the 30/35km mark when it all came undone...... I'm not sure exactly where it happened but I think it was on a whooped out left hander somewhere?? Anyway got the timing wrong jumping through the whoops and sent me sailing over the bars. I landed flat on my back and not knowing what had happened a staring at the sky some spectators helped me off the track where I caught my breath and gathered my bearings. After a few minutes I got back up to check my bike and she was looking a bit worse for wear, front mudguard was gone, headlight smashed and a bit bent up. I got back on and surprisingly still felt ok so gave it what I could for the last 30km and brought her home, minus a front guard and headlight

I finished in 31st position outright, which while I am over the moon with to be in the top 50. Am still frustrated with myself as going off my speed and times, had I not have crashed twice on day 2 I feel I would've finished around 24/25th. I had told myself that if I could get a top 50 I would be done, now that the dust has settled though.... I think there might be some unfinished business, I know I have the speed to put it in the top 30, and feel that with some hard work and a little bit of luck could potentially knock on the door of a top 20 plate... So bring on Finke 2018!!!

Here's a before and after of my beautiful girl
Bloody awesome effort mate! Howd the body pull up the day after the get off?
Old 21-06-2017
dbw Pro Champion

31st after a big off is a champion effort mate. I did see a front mudguard in some whoops but it was off a Husky

"Lifes short, ride lots"
Current Bikes
2004 Honda XR650R, 2013 KTM 300 EXC, 2007 DRZ400, 2012 Sherco 250 Trials, 2003 Postie,
Past Bikes
KTM 950 ADV, DR650, XR600, XR500 X 2, WR250F, Suzi RM125S, Suzi RM400, 77 RM250B, Yam TY250, Honda TL250, Honda TL125, Beta 250,Yam RT1 360 about 3, Yam DT125A, Jawa 500 Speedway, Yam IT175, Honda QA50, Suzuki PE 250 T, Honda 400 4 (roadie), Plus a few I've forgotten, or would rather forget!

Quote:
In fact I think if it wasn't for the guys that were faster than us we would have won.

Last edited by Kipo; 21-06-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 21-06-2017
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipo View Post
31st after a big off is a champion effort mate. I did see a front mudguard in some whoops but it was off a Husky
Pretty sure that one was off Josh Tilbrooks bike from what I heard. Apparently it was there on day one but i only saw it on the monday heading home
Old 21-06-2017
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglumpy View Post
Pretty sure that one was off Josh Tilbrooks bike from what I heard. Apparently it was there on day one but i only saw it on the monday heading home
Don't think it Josh's, the one I saw was in some whoops and Josh crashed at the 100 km mark in that hard packed / rock / bull dust section. After Josh crashed they had him sitting on a chair on the side of the track. Shortly after another bike crashed so they took the second bloke over to the side of the track and put him in a chair next to Josh, it was his brother Sam. They reckon they both hit the same rock.

"Lifes short, ride lots"
Current Bikes
Past Bikes

Quote: