dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 17-02-2017
dbw Pro Hero

Who swims then ?

First lesson 4 years ago at 47, swim minimum twice a week, minimum 20 laps of the 50 each time.

Just had a couple of young Ladies tell me I was there inspiration, they were trying to keep up walking the pool.

Of course real swimmers do 10 or 20 times what I'm doing but I reckon I'm doing enough with minimum available time to help with overall health.
Old 17-02-2017
dbw Pro Addict

good stuff tom. it should be a subject in schools in australia. such an important thing to learn when surrounded by ocean.
i used to swim train when at school and when competing surfing. approx 60 laps a day.
now the most swimming i do is when i lose my board in the surf if I'm not wearing a leash and have to swim in after it. i find doing laps of a pool very boring.
Old 18-02-2017
DBW Expert

Thats bloody good Tom! Good on you!

I used to swim competitively but stopped when i was in highschool. Hurt my back a couple of years ago and swimming was my only form of cardio and my god it was like id never done it before.....my form was good but i could barely swim 2 laps without stopping for a breather!

Ended up doing 100 laps most times i went in a 25 meter pool. Or however many i could get into an hour. I dont actually mind clocking off laps. I like my alone time and this is pretty alone in the pool with only your thoughts...
Old 27-03-2017
dbw Pro Hero

Personal log/journey on one of the swim forums, they've locked it down.

http://swimsmoothforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2739

Took a long time before I could swim a moderate distance, the idea was to learn to swim and make it something I do on a regular basis for the rest of my life, so no big effort and the follow up burnout.
Old 27-03-2017
dbw Pro Hero

Used to swim a lot. Don't live anywhere near a 50m pool now so can't. Would if I did.

If you do get more into it Tom, then start to go harder. I used to train with a mate and he taught me a lot. Plenty of people just dawdle along doing laps at the same pace, feels nice, but it's not really a workout.

Our old sessions would be something like

500m warm up
10x100m sprints
5x200m hard as you can go
finish off with an 800m

Nice little session where you really get breathing hard. Kick those legs.

Wish I had a 50m nearby. 25m pools suck - too many turns and big push-offs make it too easy.
Old 18-06-2017
DBW Dweller

Swimming is of ultimate importance for spine health. And it's also relaxing (I don't mean preparing for Olympics). Good job!
Old 19-06-2017
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalboy View Post
good stuff tom. it should be a subject in schools in australia. such an important thing to learn when surrounded by ocean.
i used to swim train when at school and when competing surfing. approx 60 laps a day.
now the most swimming i do is when i lose my board in the surf if I'm not wearing a leash and have to swim in after it. i find doing laps of a pool very boring.
Same for me Matt... surfboard without leash is the most swimming I do regularly, although when we have a lull in surf might hop in the pool for 20 laps to keeps the misses happy.
Old 19-06-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaKilpatrik View Post
Swimming is of ultimate importance for spine health. And it's also relaxing (I don't mean preparing for Olympics). Good job!
I agree. I feel so much better after about 20 laps. Swimming also forces one to focus on flexibility. If my body is all wonky, bi-lateral breathing is tough and painful.