dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 17-05-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Ive been flipping the wipers out and cleaning the grit out of the grease then replacing it with clean white grease.After one ride you will see grit in the grease.
Been doing this for years worked well on 48mm,now so far so good on the dreaded 50mm marzochi's.
Old 17-05-2012
dbw Pro Legend

Apart from cleaning as required the best thing i have seen for having fork seals last longer is to get the legs spun in a lathe and to run some fine emery up and down as it spins to create a cross hatch pattern.
I suspect the cross hatch holds a smidge of oil and keeps them lubricated, that could be wrong as i'm only guessing but whatever it is that does it it certainly works.
Old 17-05-2012
dbw Factory Pro

Spot on rideo, I did mine the other week and they still leaked. Pulled them out again and with red scotchbrite twisting and pulling at the same time gave the crosshatch effect finish. Put them back in with new seals and they are perfect.
Old 16-01-2014
dbw Pro

Yeah its daunting at first but once done, You'll wip it up in no time every time there after.

Maybe I missed it? But I didn't see if you posted HOW to remove the lower slider legs from the upper chamber tubes?
- The Upper chambers are an interference fit, In that that Brass collar (Pic showing flat blade screw driver separating the collar) is what Locks the two parts together.
To separate the two, Use your Gas stove top, A Gas Torch or (as I did) use a single burner Camp cooker.. Yeah those $10 jobbies you fit a propellent can into for fuel.
Hold the forks at each end and rotate. ONLY heat the Outer top tube. NOT the sliders!! continue to turn as you heat the Top tube. After a minute or two try pull the two tubes apart. Continue to heat if needed.
When ready, they will pull apart with little effort.
Use Gloves.
Replacing the tube is same process in reverse.

For KTM/Husaberg riders (WP forks) Look similar. Their is an exploded view on the Net if Googled. My Berg forks where slightly different in that the Nut holding the Top cap that Holds the damper spring was a larger size.
It can be done single handedly, but you need a strong hand to hold the spring back to place an open end spanner on the Nut.

Dan

Last edited by KustomCandy; 16-01-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Only the top tube.
Old 16-01-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Update to my previous post:
Don't need a lathe, some 600 or so wet and dry, wet with wd40, held in the hand does well so long as you are able to spin and draw the tube through the hand that's holding the paper.