dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 31-10-2016
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
Some call it "visual, chroma, hue intensity spectrum analysis" but I like to call it - checking your piss. Yes, despite the 100+ studies Coca Cola have sponsored, verifying adequate hydration is as simple as checking your piss.

If it's light coloured, you're good to go!
I've seen the amount of piss you can drink. I'm sure you are plenty hydrated.
Recuper8 is probably the best hydration pack fluid you will ever use. Its like crack for dirt bike riders.
Old 15-07-2017
dbw Pro

So I'd be interested to know now about a year and a half later how you fellas got on with your Man Shake experiments.
Old 20-07-2017
Foot long Sav

Well, not a "man shake experiment", just a 'healthy living' experiment.

I used to eat crap and loads of it, wasn't paying any attention to my calorific input and would regularly eat a day's worth of energy in a single meal.

January this year I was just shy of 109kg with a serious apnea problem and borderline BP/hypertension problems.
Ate what, when and how much I wanted with little to no real exercise.

Been doing what amounts to F45 for the last 6+ months, it's 45 minute HIIT cardio and strength sessions, sometimes up to 6 times a week.
Combined that with a realistic eating plan and some good advice about attitude and mindset.
I'm around 85Kg at the moment, sleep like a baby, just did my BP at 117/68 with 46 BPM resting heart rate.
Last (first) body scan 5 weeks ago had 18% body fat at 91.5kg so that should have dropped a bit now too.
Spewing I didn't do one before I changed my lifestyle.
Jogged about 6kms last weekend on a local mountain trail, couldn't do a 1/2 a lap of the car park (~100mtr) at my first gym session.

I don't do 'meal replacement' shakes, just good healthy eating with a 30/30/40 carb/fat/protein focus and try for 1600cals to lose weight quickly, 1800 slowly and around 2000 to maintain.
I will have a (Bulk Nutrients ) whey protein fruit or banana smoothie if I do a late gym session and need to make up the calories.
Yes, I need to eat if I workout to replace the calories I have burnt, net calorie consistency day-to-day is crucial.
Not fanatical about calorie tracking, just know when I'm kidding/cheating myself.
At 49yo I'm probably healthier than I have been for the last 30 years (ex teenage to 35yo smoker) and friends and family can't believe the change.

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.

The opposite of success isn't failure, it's 'giving up'.
Old 20-07-2017
dbw Pro Hero

Old 20-07-2017
dbw Factory Pro

I have been using the man shake for breakfast and lunch since September last year. Reduced carb and sugars for the rest of my food intake and have lost 36kg and feeling great. I now have it more to maintain my weight than lose it. Has just become part of my normal diet. Each Saturday night I have what ever I want to eat. Then back to the man shakes on the Sunday.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Previous bike:
97 yammy wr250
2007 zx10r ninja
2004 r1
2004 gsxr1000
2002 aprillia rsv1000
98 gsxr600
95 fzr 600
Old 20-07-2017
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battered Sav View Post
Well, not a "man shake experiment", just a 'healthy living' experiment.

I'm around 85Kg at the moment, sleep like a baby, just did my BP at 117/68 with 46 BPM resting heart rate.

At 49yo I'm probably healthier than I have been for the last 30 years (ex teenage to 35yo smoker) and friends and family can't believe the change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser_neil View Post
I have been using the man shake for breakfast and lunch since September last year. Reduced carb and sugars for the rest of my food intake and have lost 36kg and feeling great
Good on you blokes for getting it done. You should be proud of yourselves.
Old 21-07-2017
Foot long Sav

Thanks Russ and WELL DONE Neil, losing 36kg is a freaking awesome achievement.

Old 23-07-2017
dbw Pro

I have been having Iso Weigh (similar to man shake) for the last 3 to 4 months and have lost 15Kg. I have it for breakfast with milk and lunch with water and then have a normal dinner with the family. I now dont want to loose any more weight (ok, maybe 2 more kg) but will keep using it to maintain my weight because its easy, quick, your not left hungry and I feel great since starting and being on it. Saturday is my naughty day but I find myself limiting too much bad food because it makes me feel tired, lethargic and crap...
Old 19-09-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Didn't see this thread, congratulations Sav.

That weight loss, followed by the awesome training regime is seriously impessive. You've literally transformed yourself from someone who was knocking at the door of a shorter, compromised life, to someone who's fitter than 90% of the population.

From what I'm reading F45 is something you're doing for lifestyle, not just for weight loss too. Studies on successful weight loss and maintenance show people that integrate real lifestyle changes like this (not just temp measures) are much more likely to maintain their benefits long term.

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.
Old 20-09-2017
Foot long Sav

Thanks Ben, yep, it's about lifestyle now and maintaining a healthy approach.
I'm pretty much 'done' as far as losing weight is concerned, last official weigh-in had me at 82.5kg and 10% body fat, saw 81.1kg once, though now I'm bouncing around 83kg with the intent of losing more body fat and improving skeletal muscle mass.

BMI has me (just) in the 'over' range, I'm happy with that as I'm also already 'over' on the muscle range, I know I'm going to add a few more kg's in muscle so BMI is of no real concern.

Had my first real decent ride in ages on the weekend, absolutely smashed it compared to the last few years, didn't have the ride fitness I would have liked though stamina and general fitness felt worlds better than before.

As an aside I handed out some BN samples at the gym with some good feedback and one of the trainers, who also competes, is stoked with the quality, range and price.