dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 24-11-2016
dbw Pro Legend

I had the same problem when running a pirelli xcms on the front,it was a soft sidewall tyre and although I took the tyre off before it was worn it was clear that the rim lock was going to wear a hole right through the casing

When I ran stiffer sidewalls it was no longer a problem,I also never ran much lower than 6-8psi on the front,this helped a lot too.Also try to line up a knob from the tyre directly over the rimlocks edges,a bit hard to do but worth the effort.If you are playing with lower pressures then tyre choice really does help,most seem against running low pressures with stiff tyres but it really does work well with the right tyre choice.
Old 20-12-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Might try a tubliss on the front with Goldentyre tyre.
any recommendations?
Terrain is varied...rocks..medium to hardpack. Not much sand.
Will keep the mousse in the rear.
Anyone run this setup? Tubliss(F) Mousse(R)

Cheers

Hanna Somatics
www.hannasomatics.com

Feldenkrais
www.feldenkrais.com
Old 20-12-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
Might try a tubliss on the front with Goldentyre tyre.
any recommendations?
Terrain is varied...rocks..medium to hardpack. Not much sand.
Will keep the mousse in the rear.
Anyone run this setup? Tubliss(F) Mousse(R)

Cheers
Better to run it the other way around. Tubliss always seals better on the rear, mousse lasts longer on the front. Tubliss will allow you to drop pressure for drive off rear, and you can still mousse kamikaze into sharp rocks without front pinch flats..
ErmmXR400
'Oh God knows EC250
And about a hundred road bikes, mostly Yamahas for some reason.

Owner of BikeAssist Australia - free accident replacement motorcycles for non-fault riders. Current rental fleet includes CBR300R, CB500F, CB500X, UK110s...
Old 21-12-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Chris
I'm happy with the mousse on the rear.
The front however, I'd like to gain more consistency and eliminate squirmy feeling when tipping over in corners.
Your reservations of tubliss on the front relate mainly to tyre damage on sharp rocks etc? Causing leaks? How common might that be?

Hanna Somatics
www.hannasomatics.com

Feldenkrais
www.feldenkrais.com
Old 21-12-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
Chris
I'm happy with the mousse on the rear.
The front however, I'd like to gain more consistency and eliminate squirmy feeling when tipping over in corners.
Your reservations of tubliss on the front relate mainly to tyre damage on sharp rocks etc? Causing leaks? How common might that be?
I don't really have a reservation with the Tubliss front - however, most problems I'm aware of with sealing Tubliss occur on the front, rather than the rear. It's just more rim, and more opportunity to leak I think. Anyway - its certainly more common to have a leaky front than rear, and when they do leak they can be a pain to fix. There are techniques, and tips, but its a pain when you're used to mousses.

Conversely, the only real advantage of Tubliss over mousses is the ability to vary pressure to improve traction, or to change high speed handling. In this respect (for me) it makes more sense to run Tubliss on the back.

Either way, it's a good product and you'll get what you need from it. To be clear - I NEVER worry about tyre damage. Didn't with mousses, don't with Tubliss either. Smashed around Spot X for 40klm at the weekend with a completely flat rear on Tubliss with a Dunlop and no tyre or rim damage I can tell. Squirt of Slime and its re-sealed, and off we go again...
ErmmXR400
'Oh God knows EC250
And about a hundred road bikes, mostly Yamahas for some reason.

Owner of BikeAssist Australia - free accident replacement motorcycles for non-fault riders. Current rental fleet includes CBR300R, CB500F, CB500X, UK110s...
Old 25-12-2016
dbw Factory Pro

Used tubliss for just on 2 years now. Have never had a sealing issue or one single issue with the front even when using old tyres. The rear dunlop at81 was prone to punchers but nothing a plug didnt fix. Since switching to the startcross 5 F+R not an issue to report.
Old 27-12-2016
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo94 View Post
Used tubliss for just on 2 years now. Have never had a sealing issue or one single issue with the front even when using old tyres. The rear dunlop at81 was prone to punchers but nothing a plug didnt fix. Since switching to the startcross 5 F+R not an issue to report.
Last front was a starcross 5 medium and I holed it right on the rim lock, you could see the marks on the rim lock once the tyre was removed(smoothed it out with a file).

Now I've got a Michelin M12 and had the same thing happen. Both easily fixed with a dog turd plug.

I have been running 10-12psi as I hate a loose front end. Anyone else had or noticed this issue?

These are soft walled tyres and the M12 is almost rooted so I'm going to try something else. Was thinking of modifying or removing the rim loc section, with 100psi in the inner I cannot see the rim loc doing much to stop the tyre spinning on the rim. Any thoughts?
Old 27-12-2016
dbw Factory Pro

I'm finding Bridgestone x30 tyres working well with tubliss. They don't do anything particularly well or anything particularly bad but they are hard wearing and have a stiff carcass. I tried Dunlop mx32 tyres with tubliss and put 9 holes in one tyre in one ride . I Only use tubliss over summer and back to mousse tubes for racing rest of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27-12-2016
dbw Pro Legend

front tire damage by Rim lock does happen ssemd to be the 90/90 suffer the most.

if have pirelli extra 90/100 @ 8 to 10 psi, well hit some thing and its stuffed the rim biggest rim dent i have had in over 10 years so these tires are soft walled.
Old 29-12-2016
DBW Dweller

Tubliss Rim Lock Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstock View Post
Was thinking of modifying or removing the rim loc section, with 100psi in the inner I cannot see the rim loc doing much to stop the tyre spinning on the rim. Any thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing, i.e. that the high pressure inner section should act as a 'rim lock' by itself. This would certainly make it easier to balance the wheels.
'14 BMW R1200GS
'74 Norton Commando