dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 06-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bergman View Post
the DR is a loan bike too and i'll be handing it back next week, hoppy. i would LOVE to be on a redesign team for that bike, there's so much you could do it that would cost next to nothing but transform it!

and then if they were willing to throw a bit of money at it then things could get really exciting if they trimmed the weight and upgraded that engine and charged extra for the sports model. sigh.

but as usual, the most radical mods will be new stickers.... maybe.
You have done Suzuki a huge favour by doing what you did n the videos.

There's surely plenty of us flirting with the idea of doing some decent touring trips eventually and I reckon the DR650 is now clearly the best choice. The big KTM 690 sound great in theory, but seems like owners have endless problems and they have a few design issues on their own.

I wish you could have kept the bike and gone full knobbies, changed the exhaust as well as a FCR carb conversion. I transformed an XR600 with one of these a while back and I reckon the Bush Pig would have improved even more.

The Bush Pig actually makes a really logical choice as a second (or third) bike, it could be dragged out on the big trips, could be used in the bush if desperate and could also double as a commuter - something hard core enduro bikes absolutely suck at.

Do you have a video where you cover all the mods in entirety?

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.
Old 06-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
.....The Bush Pig actually makes a really logical choice as a second (or third) bike, it could be dragged out on the big trips, could be used in the bush if desperate and could also double as a commuter - something hard core enduro bikes absolutely suck at.

Do you have a video where you cover all the mods in entirety?
too many mods to cover in just one vid so i'm doing a 10 part DR650 series over on the adventure riding channel. this is the most recent vid with all the mods including knobbies, pipe etc.

for the money it is a a great bike once you fix a few key flaws. i would love to be on the redesign team, suzuki could transform this bike at very little cost but they seem to be afflicted with the malaise facing all japanese manufacturers.

Old 07-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Riding in the matrix?

argh, another of these philosophically themed vids that many of you like, surprisingly... this one is definitely a mind twister, and recommended only if you like philosophy- the art of thinking about thinking.

and no enduro riding here, but it is incredible to see how far they are pushing the boundaries of freestyle jumping nowadays...

Old 10-01-2017
dbw Pro

000 0010 000 1110 0001 0000 000 0100 !!
Old 10-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

met with motocross legend stephen gall who coordinated all the bike stunts in mad max fury road and did some stunt riding too at the ripe old age of 59. he bought the highly modified yamaha R1 used in the film, check him out doing feet up donuts in the desert as he practices for a stunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAB View Post
000 0010 000 1110 0001 0000 000 0100 !!
reminds me of the binary lead break in that flight of the conchords song

Old 10-01-2017
dbw Pro

Spot on, would have posted that myself if the knowledge to do so was installed/programmed.
Old 14-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

motocross to enduro conversion part 3: the suspension

more fun and games with trying to adapt a motocross bike for enduro riding. this episode looks at the suspension, and in particular those problematic 4CS forks.

spoiler alert. i'm rapidly concluding this just ain't worthwhile! i know KTM are overhauling the suspension on the new models and hopefully it will be a good package, but these 4CS forks on this 2015 model ain't good, and the rear shock is nothing to write home about.

while these motocross/enduro conversions can be worthwhile in victoria where you can get rec reg, i think it would make more sense to start with a YZ250 as it has that great SSS suspension that rarely needs any work.
Old 17-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Excuse me sounding like a broken record, but it's a pity you couldn't get your hands on a 2017 model from the get go.
People are very impressed with the air forks on the MX bikes, its supposed to be more plush straight out of the box, and then you have total ease in adjustability.

For us southerners (rec rego also available in Tas - though few bother) a 10 - 20 hour mx'er is just so much more affordable than looking at 13k for a new enduro bike.
Would be interesting to see a KTM 350 MX to bush conversion, IMO.
Sub 100kg, Air forks, electric start, map switch and traction control stock, pls with clickers and air pressures (at no cost) whack on a stand then you're ready to rock.

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.
Old 17-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
Excuse me sounding like a broken record, but it's a pity you couldn't get your hands on a 2017 model from the get go.....
i did get to try a husky 2017 briefly in canada, reported on it here. air forks were brilliant, just have to hope they work out well in the long term too. if the husky wasn't so expensive i'd be tempted for sure.
Old 17-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

hill climbs in loose rocky conditions

more of a hill climbs refresher but adapted for loose rocky conditions.