dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-01-2017
Blunny Blunny is offline
dbw Factory Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 725
Update

Well, I just bought a TTR125L. Kick start version "coz I'm a man that rides an old school 2 stroke with a kick starter....". Light weight race version of the mighty TTR..

I dropped it off to Ciscos for a once over, tyres, throttle cable etc. Came home and hit the internet.

Updates to come in a build thread which I've never done before (and after I suppress that inner voice that keeps saying "why waste your money on such an over weight under powered play bike").
__________________
5 Berg's & 1 VOR (the black XR) and now finally an oily, smokey, smelly YZ 2 stroke.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-01-2017
Sneakynuts's Avatar
Sneakynuts Sneakynuts is offline
dbw Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Just around the corner from that place over the hill
Posts: 385
I really think you've made the right choice. My lad's YZ85 was not made to putt around. It has bugger all torque, but when revved screams like a banshee. It's a very small bike for an adult and, unless you're a lightweight, would need substantial suspension mods. The 85 would also likely overheat if you rode it around slowly, it needs air being pushed through its tiny radiator. We love the YZ, but it's only meant for kids who want to race.
__________________
Current: 2016 Beta 430RR Race Edition
Previous: 2010 Yamaha WR450 - farewell faithful tractor
Beware: Sillier than I look...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-01-2017
Hopkins's Avatar
Hopkins Hopkins is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunny View Post
Well, I just bought a TTR125L. Kick start version "coz I'm a man that rides an old school 2 stroke with a kick starter....". Light weight race version of the mighty TTR..

I dropped it off to Ciscos for a once over, tyres, throttle cable etc. Came home and hit the internet.

Updates to come in a build thread which I've never done before (and after I suppress that inner voice that keeps saying "why waste your money on such an over weight under powered play bike").
One real benefit of the TTR 125 is the fact you can put a Rekluse on it.
I bought one for my wife, specifically for this reason.

Makes it even easier to learn or just pot around on
__________________
www.bulknutrients.com.au - Australia's largest range of sports supplements, direct from the manufacturer.

www.bioflexnutrition.com.au - Australia's purest supplements with dirt bike specific endurance products being developed.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-01-2017
Blunny Blunny is offline
dbw Factory Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 725
I've played around with this little fantasy for about 2 years now. The catalyst was watching a bloke / dad of about 85kg on a clapped out XR100 play racing his son who was on a KTM65. They were doing countless laps at Parwan Ride Park and they were having an absolute ball.
I'm so looking forward to riding with my boys (& girl in a few more years.)

ebay resevoir shock off a elec start TTR is on its way........
__________________
5 Berg's & 1 VOR (the black XR) and now finally an oily, smokey, smelly YZ 2 stroke.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13-01-2017
poper's Avatar
poper poper is offline
dbw Pro Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Posts: 4,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunny View Post
I've played around with this little fantasy for about 2 years now. The catalyst was watching a bloke / dad of about 85kg on a clapped out XR100 play racing his son who was on a KTM65. They were doing countless laps at Parwan Ride Park and they were having an absolute ball.
I'm so looking forward to riding with my boys (& girl in a few more years.)

ebay resevoir shock off a elec start TTR is on its way........
nothing wrong with the ttr, just needs a proper chain guide, some more rim locks or alloy rims [if it has the steel rims, tyres spin on the rims ], and 10c pieces packed in the forks, start with 3 in each[that's 60cents]
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 13-01-2017
splints's Avatar
splints splints is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Franga
Posts: 1,379
my experience

hi blunny, heres my 2cw
my 10 yo out rode a rm 85 after a xr85 within a year after he had that for 1 year following a btraap. he can ride but like most kids he has a crack (but he rides with me on trails, but I am no star)
IMO opinion if you want to follow him around the franga track for kids. don't buy a bike, it will be quicker to walk across if he stacks.
if you are lucky enough to have access to a mates property, and you want to ride a bit more that to be bored out of your mind following your kids around,,, get a ktm200. it will be able to follow kids but if you want to go .for a squirt with your mate, you are good to go,
for your 4yo, give him the pw80 and restrict the throttle, follow on your 200 and enjoy a life of biking....kids will grow into bikes
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 13-01-2017
splints's Avatar
splints splints is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Franga
Posts: 1,379
btw those ktm65 are missiles,, any of those other bikes 100, 125 etc 4 strokes..... will take you 10 minutes to get there if your little bloke has a crack,,,,and he will when he gets confidence
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 13-01-2017
poper's Avatar
poper poper is offline
dbw Pro Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Posts: 4,875
12990911_993924524027778_4022188565183329754_n.jpg
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 13-01-2017
Tom68's Avatar
Tom68 Tom68 is offline
dbw Pro Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Melbournes North West Suburbs
Posts: 10,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by splints View Post
hi blunny, heres my 2cw
my 10 yo out rode a rm 85 after a xr85 within a year after he had that for 1 year following a btraap. he can ride but like most kids he has a crack (but he rides with me on trails, but I am no star)
IMO opinion if you want to follow him around the franga track for kids. don't buy a bike, it will be quicker to walk across if he stacks.
if you are lucky enough to have access to a mates property, and you want to ride a bit more that to be bored out of your mind following your kids around,,, get a ktm200. it will be able to follow kids but if you want to go .for a squirt with your mate, you are good to go,
for your 4yo, give him the pw80 and restrict the throttle, follow on your 200 and enjoy a life of biking....kids will grow into bikes
This makes sense to me.

Took the kids into K'lake a few time on the back of the KDX (had pillion pegs option) they took to it better than the missus did.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 14-01-2017
lil' nugget lil' nugget is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: narrabeen
Posts: 1,786
No peewee 80

I have never seen a 4yo that can touch the ground on a peewee 80 a 50 no probs but no chance on a 80. It not to say he can't ride it but he won't enjoy it. A peewee 80 seat height is 635 mm and 58 kg where a ttr 50 is only 560 mm or a peewee 50 is about 480 mm and only 39 kg. But if he can touch on the ttr I would skip the peewee 50.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kids riding in Glasshouse? jimmy66 General Bike Related Discussion 12 23-01-2015 05:25 PM
Riding with kids plumbot Victoria Rides 15 08-11-2013 09:40 PM
Riding with kids plumbot General Bike Related Discussion 11 28-10-2013 11:31 PM
Taking Kids Riding MABO General Bike Related Discussion 13 10-10-2011 02:13 PM



All times are GMT +11. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.