dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-04-2013
Dirt_Devil's Avatar
Dirt_Devil Dirt_Devil is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,088
Rowing machines, what to get, what to avoid

I want to buy a rowing machine, to aid my current fitness kick. Who has one and can advise of features to look for and things to avoid. ??
__________________
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened - Sir Winston Churchill

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both - Benjamin Franklin

The problem with a UDP joke is that you have no idea if people got it.

Current Ride:- Honda CRF450X 2007
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-2013
bluerider's Avatar
bluerider bluerider is offline
dbw Pro Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bum f%$ked nowhere
Posts: 5,248
Concept 2, preferably model D or newer.

Just google it and you will see why, most widly used rower in the world, you can compete online and there are even concept 2 rowing forums you can join, log your row's and compete with others around the world.

Best cardio workout you can do for moto fitness, replicates pretty closely all the muscle groups used. Ive bolted moto handlebars to mine to replicate it even closer. Be warned, they are pretty evil machines and can very easily lead to vomit sessions if you are keen to push yourself

Ive got a model E at home, you don't need much else. Did a 40min session yest, Av HR = 166 Max HR = 178 (at the end) Don't ask what my meters rowed/output was cause its a bit off where i was when i was fitter last year
__________________
Sent from my computer using a keyboard

60% of the time it works everytime


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2013
ruley's Avatar
ruley ruley is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: brissy
Posts: 1,448
either a wind rower or a water rower, avoid a magnetic rower.

concept 2 rowers are the shiz for wind type, i have a Paradigm cyber rower which is a cheaper wind rower, it goes fine....but it doesn't get much use the only reason i got that one over the concept 2 is it came up very cheap
__________________
treat people on the forum like you would in person
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2013
SIX36's Avatar
SIX36 SIX36 is offline
dbw Factory Pro
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Guess
Posts: 597
Get a waterrower, we have one at work I spend my lunch breaks on its awesome, very natural rowing movement without the snatch effect you get on the wind rower.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2013
Pete40's Avatar
Pete40 Pete40 is online now
dbw Pro Hero
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Boggo Rd. Jail
Posts: 10,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerider View Post
Concept 2, preferably model D or newer.

Just google it and you will see why, most widly used rower in the world, you can compete online and there are even concept 2 rowing forums you can join, log your row's and compete with others around the world.

Best cardio workout you can do for moto fitness, replicates pretty closely all the muscle groups used. Ive bolted moto handlebars to mine to replicate it even closer. Be warned, they are pretty evil machines and can very easily lead to vomit sessions if you are keen to push yourself

Ive got a model E at home, you don't need much else. Did a 40min session yest, Av HR = 166 Max HR = 178 (at the end) Don't ask what my meters rowed/output was cause its a bit off where i was when i was fitter last year
So - tell me you cracked 10km at least.

I am a shadow of my former rowing self at present too.

Concept2 is the ONLY way to go.

Go to the aussie website and try to get one on special from them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2013
Dirt_Devil's Avatar
Dirt_Devil Dirt_Devil is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,088
ok, so magnetic rowers are rubbish and wind/water rowers are the way to go. Concept 2 is awesome.......they certaily look the goods, quite expensive though, however 1 would make a nice accompaniment to the treadmill.
__________________
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened - Sir Winston Churchill

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both - Benjamin Franklin

The problem with a UDP joke is that you have no idea if people got it.

Current Ride:- Honda CRF450X 2007
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2013
bluerider's Avatar
bluerider bluerider is offline
dbw Pro Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bum f%$ked nowhere
Posts: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
So - tell me you cracked 10km at least.

I am a shadow of my former rowing self at present too.

Concept2 is the ONLY way to go.

Go to the aussie website and try to get one on special from them.
No But i did slow a couple of times for a quick drink... it was hot and i was sweating like a fat kid in a cup cake shop.
__________________
Sent from my computer using a keyboard

60% of the time it works everytime


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2013
Pete40's Avatar
Pete40 Pete40 is online now
dbw Pro Hero
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Boggo Rd. Jail
Posts: 10,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Devil View Post
ok, so magnetic rowers are rubbish and wind/water rowers are the way to go. Concept 2 is awesome.......they certaily look the goods, quite expensive though, however 1 would make a nice accompaniment to the treadmill.
Will pretty-well last a lifetime. You don't need to pay full price. I bought one three months old.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2013
Dirt_Devil's Avatar
Dirt_Devil Dirt_Devil is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
Will pretty-well last a lifetime. You don't need to pay full price. I bought one three months old.
Agreed, i'm hunting through the internet at the moment looking for one at a good price. Should I learn towards the D or E variant ??
__________________
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened - Sir Winston Churchill

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both - Benjamin Franklin

The problem with a UDP joke is that you have no idea if people got it.

Current Ride:- Honda CRF450X 2007
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2013
anthony_1978's Avatar
anthony_1978 anthony_1978 is offline
Prime Monostar.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: MONO TOWN
Posts: 10,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Devil View Post
Agreed, i'm hunting through the internet at the moment looking for one at a good price. Should I learn towards the D or E variant ??
I have a 'D' model concept2 it's a great workout
I found it cheaper second hand on the Australian concept webpage
-> classifieds

Have your moto vids playing close to keep you
Moto-vated
__________________
Do a mono
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IT Question - Virtual machines mollystaff Off Track Talk 16 24-01-2011 11:03 PM
Rowing Machines-Any Advice?? Blas'e Off Track Talk 3 16-11-2008 10:19 PM
Retro plastics for old machines greyfella General Bike Related Discussion 1 02-08-2006 09:07 AM
The Riders The machines and The Victory. mxgoon Competition & Racing 10 20-05-2005 03:19 PM
For the Gents with older machines Crusty General Bike Related Discussion 1 21-06-2004 10:14 AM



All times are GMT +11. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.