dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 01-04-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Rowing machines, what to get, what to avoid

I want to buy a rowing machine, to aid my current fitness kick. Who has one and can advise of features to look for and things to avoid. ??

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both - Benjamin Franklin

The problem with a UDP joke is that you have no idea if people got it.

Current Ride:- Honda CRF450X 2007
Old 01-04-2013
dbw Pro Addict

Concept 2, preferably model D or newer.

Just google it and you will see why, most widly used rower in the world, you can compete online and there are even concept 2 rowing forums you can join, log your row's and compete with others around the world.

Best cardio workout you can do for moto fitness, replicates pretty closely all the muscle groups used. Ive bolted moto handlebars to mine to replicate it even closer. Be warned, they are pretty evil machines and can very easily lead to vomit sessions if you are keen to push yourself

Ive got a model E at home, you don't need much else. Did a 40min session yest, Av HR = 166 Max HR = 178 (at the end) Don't ask what my meters rowed/output was cause its a bit off where i was when i was fitter last year

60% of the time it works everytime

Old 01-04-2013
dbw Pro Legend

either a wind rower or a water rower, avoid a magnetic rower.

concept 2 rowers are the shiz for wind type, i have a Paradigm cyber rower which is a cheaper wind rower, it goes fine....but it doesn't get much use the only reason i got that one over the concept 2 is it came up very cheap
Old 01-04-2013
dbw Factory Pro

Get a waterrower, we have one at work I spend my lunch breaks on its awesome, very natural rowing movement without the snatch effect you get on the wind rower.
Old 01-04-2013
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerider View Post
Concept 2, preferably model D or newer.

Just google it and you will see why, most widly used rower in the world, you can compete online and there are even concept 2 rowing forums you can join, log your row's and compete with others around the world.

Best cardio workout you can do for moto fitness, replicates pretty closely all the muscle groups used. Ive bolted moto handlebars to mine to replicate it even closer. Be warned, they are pretty evil machines and can very easily lead to vomit sessions if you are keen to push yourself

Ive got a model E at home, you don't need much else. Did a 40min session yest, Av HR = 166 Max HR = 178 (at the end) Don't ask what my meters rowed/output was cause its a bit off where i was when i was fitter last year
So - tell me you cracked 10km at least.

I am a shadow of my former rowing self at present too.

Concept2 is the ONLY way to go.

Go to the aussie website and try to get one on special from them.
Old 01-04-2013
dbw Pro Legend

ok, so magnetic rowers are rubbish and wind/water rowers are the way to go. Concept 2 is awesome.......they certaily look the goods, quite expensive though, however 1 would make a nice accompaniment to the treadmill.

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-04-2013
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
So - tell me you cracked 10km at least.

I am a shadow of my former rowing self at present too.

Concept2 is the ONLY way to go.

Go to the aussie website and try to get one on special from them.
No But i did slow a couple of times for a quick drink... it was hot and i was sweating like a fat kid in a cup cake shop.

60% of the time it works everytime

Old 01-04-2013
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Devil View Post
ok, so magnetic rowers are rubbish and wind/water rowers are the way to go. Concept 2 is awesome.......they certaily look the goods, quite expensive though, however 1 would make a nice accompaniment to the treadmill.
Will pretty-well last a lifetime. You don't need to pay full price. I bought one three months old.
Old 01-04-2013
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
Will pretty-well last a lifetime. You don't need to pay full price. I bought one three months old.
Agreed, i'm hunting through the internet at the moment looking for one at a good price. Should I learn towards the D or E variant ??

Old 01-04-2013
Prime Monostar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Devil View Post
Agreed, i'm hunting through the internet at the moment looking for one at a good price. Should I learn towards the D or E variant ??
I have a 'D' model concept2 it's a great workout
I found it cheaper second hand on the Australian concept webpage
-> classifieds

Have your moto vids playing close to keep you
Moto-vated