dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 18-11-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Long term review of the ONE LIGHT CLUTCH by Clake

two of the guys in our cross training group have been using the One Light Clutch for months now and rave about it. the clake website is here.

basically it's a trick bit of engineering to get a much lighter clutch but without having to use more movement. the 250exc clutch is light but i'm finding the left hand isn't coping all that well as we do more technical terrain so think i'll be getting one soon too - the only problem is clake also put out some other cool gear like combined clutch/rear brake levers so could be hard to choose.

at around $400 it ain't cheap but it makes the clutch incredibly light... even lighter than a trials bike in some cases and some guys even find they have to back off on the adjustment if it gets too easy e.g. not enough feel to it. the best thing of all it does all of this with the same amount of clutch pull, NOT extra leverage.

fitting is quite easy once you know the key tricks to bleeding properly - they are well explained in the installation video put out by clake.

there are aftermarket clutch levers some guys use make the clutch lighter but by using a longer movement e.g. extra leverage. these can be a budget option to try first but they don't lighten the clutch as much as a clake, and you usually need to pull the lever all the way into the bars to fully disengage the clutch. we had a lot of guys asking for a budget option to the clake ONE light clutch and did this review on the midwest clever levers.

Old 18-11-2014
DBW Clubman

Another great vid!

I agree completely, I've had mine for a couple of months now and I reckon it's the best thing I've ever bought for a bike.

I know what you mean about their other products, I was seriously tempted by the Clake 2. Maybe one day, but no regrets with the OLC.
Old 18-11-2014
Banned

Can you do a review of the standards clake ? the one that engages the rear brake as it disengages the clutch.
Old 19-11-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabskyline View Post
Can you do a review of the standards clake ? the one that engages the rear brake as it disengages the clutch.
yeah rabs, probably will. i rode a trials bike the other day with that clake setup fitted and was absolutely blown away...

it sounded very weird that pulling the clutch in at first just disengages the clutch, then goes on to operate the rear brake. but it took all of 30 seconds before i was raving about it. the guy said everyone who rides his bike feels the same way.

they'll be at the wildwood extreme enduro this weekend so will chat with them then.
Old 19-11-2014
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabskyline View Post

Had a go of one as well, I had concerns that I would want to keep the foot brake lever as well, but after riding it found it was an awesome bit of gear and wouldn't worry about keeping the foot brake.
It is on my list in the next couple of months to get one.
Old 19-11-2014
dbw Pro Addict

I run a One on my Freeride as the clutch was too heavy and I needed to use two fingers at all times.

I was at first a bit concerned with only having the option of using one finger due to the lever design but I needn't have been concerned as I got used to it in the first ride. I have on occasion more out of habit still used two fingers which has not been a problem but could be because I have tiny fingers.

Aside from the super light clutch feel the other benefit of the One is the ability of getting a custom Cam which enables you to get the clutch feel and take up to suit your personal preference.

Amber

Amber
2014 KTM FREERIDE 250R aka MOUNTAIN GOAT

Owen
2015 BETA 300RR
Old 19-11-2014
dbw Factory Pro

here is my review on my Cake One so far.

First up the service from Clake is excellent, really demonstrates that buying Aussie and local is best. I decided to drop my bike into Clake HQ and get them fit it up for me, being a Freeride the One unit needs a custom cam-thingy in it, and the bike needs a new clutch line. Not only were Clake happy to take care of this for me but they did it all within 24hrs! You don't get this kind of service in too many places these days.

I got a Clake One for my Freeride after seeing Amber's on her Freeride, and agree with Amber the stock clutch is a bit on the heavy side.

Being a trials rider at heart I am more used to one finger clutch action than probably the average weekend warrior. There is a very good reason trials riders only use one finger on controls - and that is better bike control. So not only with the Clake One do you get to reduce arm pump and fatigue but better bike control is a bonus.

There is no question that the quality of engineering in the One is top notch, as an engineer myself I appreciate these kinda of things. Using the One backs up the evidence of this quality, it is smooth, effortless, clutch control whilst still providing as much feel as the stock clutch ever did.

The only downside is now that I have a One on my Freeride I want one on my endure bike too - they really are that good. I would compare it to hydraulic clutches, or even disc brakes. These are all fairly recent features of modern dirt bikes, none of us thought we needed them but now would not live without them. The One really is the same, you might not think your clutch is heavy, but once you try a One you'll wonder why KTM, or Honda/Yamaha, etc are not fitting this kind of clutch as stock.
Old 25-11-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGasGus View Post
.....you might not think your clutch is heavy, but once you try a One you'll wonder why KTM, or Honda/Yamaha, etc are not fitting this kind of clutch as stock.
couldn't agree more. melissa and i met owen down and wildwood and decided to run with their gear, got it all fitted up after the event. a quick test had a convinced it was a great idea and can't wait to do some serious riding and post the outcome.

these guys are extremely passionate about their product and it shows. the support is excellent, they even noticed a few probs with the bikes after wildwood and set about fixing them.. how's that for service?!
Old 26-11-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team200 View Post
I run a One on my Freeride as the clutch was too heavy and I needed to use two fingers at all times.

I was at first a bit concerned with only having the option of using one finger due to the lever design but I needn't have been concerned as I got used to it in the first ride. I have on occasion more out of habit still used two fingers which has not been a problem but could be because I have tiny fingers.

Aside from the super light clutch feel the other benefit of the One is the ability of getting a custom Cam which enables you to get the clutch feel and take up to suit your personal preference.

Amber
I'm hopeless Amber - I still haven't rung Owen from Clake but I will get onto him and book my bike in next week if he can fit me in. I'm so looking forward to getting one now.

Seaworld - still enslaving wild orcas and dolphins for human entertainment. Please boycott Seaworld - it's having an effect.
Old 13-12-2016
dbw Pro Legend

clake one light clutch installation vid

most guys manage to fit the one light clutch without dramas but there are a few tricks to bleeding the system effectively.... they are well explained in the new installation video put out by clake.