dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw User Reviews

dbw User Reviews dbw users share with the rest of us their own views on stuff they have tried. Proudly Sponsored by: Beta Australia

Old 28-12-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
The GT230 is the soft/intermediate terrain tyre, and the 523 is the intermediate/hard terrain tyre.

The GT230 will be priced at $110, same as the 523 for a 110/18 rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bergman View Post
yeah, keen to try out the whole range eventually. only problem is it's taking a while to wear out this GT230... will just have to ride more!
How many Klms do you get out of the 230 and 523 rears ?

$110 seems a little high for a Chinese tyre. Is that costed now with an 81c AUD ?

I get Bridgy 204's locally for $110, not mate's rates, and get around 800 klms from the rears on my 300. 450's tear them up a bit quicker. Riding Glasshouse, Kenilworth and Woodnebong. They grip all the way down even though they look stuffed.

All this talk on how good they... It will be hard to change.
16 300 EXC
Old 28-12-2014
DBW Expert

Any problems with the 523 chucking knobs? Or tyre pressure minimum to avoid sidewall or side knob damage?

I'm interested to try a 523 in a 19 using Tubliss. Assuming the bead is 8mm thick or more, to get air sealing with my 2.15 Yamaha rims.
Old 28-12-2014
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank400 View Post
How many Klms do you get out of the 230 and 523 rears ?

$110 seems a little high for a Chinese tyre. Is that costed now with an 81c AUD ?

I get Bridgy 204's locally for $110, not mate's rates, and get around 800 klms from the rears on my 300. 450's tear them up a bit quicker. Riding Glasshouse, Kenilworth and Woodnebong. They grip all the way down even though they look stuffed.

All this talk on how good they... It will be hard to change.
The Golden tyre company that we are discussing is Italian IIRC and has nothing to do with the golden tyre company in china and india that does mainly truck tyres.

For what its worth, I bought a 523 from Ferro 12 months ago and only just replaced it. I was more than happy with it and will be ordering more soon.

Cheers,
Brett
Old 28-12-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wosat View Post
The Golden tyre company that we are discussing is Italian IIRC and has nothing to do with the golden tyre company in china and india that does mainly truck tyres.

For what its worth, I bought a 523 from Ferro 12 months ago and only just replaced it. I was more than happy with it and will be ordering more soon.

Cheers,
Brett
OK, Got it. How many kms from your 523 ?
16 300 EXC
Old 28-12-2014
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank400 View Post
OK, Got it. How many kms from your 523 ?
Not sure exactly, but it would be between 800 and 1000 km.
I'm not sure if it is real or just in my head but the funny thing about this tyre is how it seems to grip when braking down hills. It actually seems to slow you down when heading down steep hills instead of skidding.

cheers,
Brett
Old 28-12-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Numroe, never lost a knob off the 523, ran a mousse. Same mousse, same terrain-Dunlops started losing knobs and not yet half worn. 523 sidewalls appear softer to me, no stats to back this up just rider review and ease of fitting with mousse compared to Dunlop.

From tapatalk but not sent from a fruit based product.
ErmmXR400
'Oh God knows EC250
And about a hundred road bikes, mostly Yamahas for some reason.

Owner of BikeAssist Australia - free accident replacement motorcycles for non-fault riders. Current rental fleet includes CBR300R, CB500F, CB500X, UK110s...
Old 28-12-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Baz are you running HD tubes, mousses or tubliss with these tyres, Im keen to see what tyres can handle being run at very low or zero pressures on the rear.

"PALS"
Old 29-12-2014
dbw Pro Legend

until recently heavy duty tubes and 8pi front and rear due to the sort of riding we are doing. fairly recently swung over to mousses, some hand me downs that were used for racing and equate to about 8psi.

but i'll be keen to try the goldentyre mousses next. from what i've heard, a lot of mousses start out at the equivalent of around 15psi and take a while to soften up but the goldentyre ones are soft already and give great grip from the start? ferro do you have any details on this?
Old 29-12-2014
dbw Factory Pro

I'm keen to find out more about the mousses too. I've read that a standard GoldenTyre mousse is equivalent to 13psi; whereas the GoldenTyre Extreme Mousse is more like 8psi. If you don't like the low pressure feel I was reading that compressing an oversized mousse inside a smaller tyre casing creates a higher pressure feeling.

Barry, what are the softer mousses like at speed? Where you comfortable doing the faster speed at Bellthorpe the other weekend?
Old 29-12-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans View Post
Barry, what are the softer mousses like at speed? Where you comfortable doing the faster speed at Bellthorpe the other weekend?
i'm still a mousse virgin, so not sure if others will have had the same experience but sure they'll chime in. there's a good article here.

but i remember the guy fitting them it will feel weird at first, as if the tyres are flat. standing still or at very low speed it does kind of feel like that, it makes static balancing on the kato a piece of cake. and it seems to take away that twitchy light front end feel of the kato, both at low and high speed.

feel great at high speed, the same guy said after a while you just stop worrying about slamming into tree roots etc even with very soft mousses. i don't make a habit of slamming into stuff but when i have it's surprising that i don't get that horrible sound of the rim impacting on tree roots or rocks.

heard there are photos of top riders cornering hard and it looks as though the tyre is going to peel off the rim - sidewall rollover. apparently it doesn't but that can affect handling... not that any of us can ride like that.

from experience, i can say an ultra heavy duty tube in the front is still a goer even after a puncture. i got a puncture early one weekend and rode the whole two days on a flat front tyre, it felt like about 5psi with the thick tube in there.