dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 26-03-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMC View Post
Bergman,
Through your research, did you find any correlation between arm pump and guys with big forearms and/or guys that do weight training etc. ???
I ask this because a few of my mates complain about arm pump and it always seems to be Mr Popeye muscle arms that suffers and others with skinny, lanky arms (me) do not.
i was wondering the same thing... the "compartment" containing your muscles must slowly expand as muscle mass increases with body building, but is it adding extra pressure that will increase the chances of arm pump?

couldn't find anything on this which is a bugger, might have made me feel better about my skinny bony little arms.
Old 26-03-2015
DBW Clubman

Beating arm pump

I second the pillow top grips theory but also personally found the use of them & stegpegz eliminated my arm pump.
Old 26-03-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bergman View Post
i was wondering the same thing... the "compartment" containing your muscles must slowly expand as muscle mass increases with body building, but is it adding extra pressure that will increase the chances of arm pump?

couldn't find anything on this which is a bugger, might have made me feel better about my skinny bony little arms.
I've seen and heard of the same thing, gym junkies seem to cop it more than others but it may just be coincidence.

I assume you used to suffer it Mr berg, what worked best for you out of all that you have tried, and by what amount?

I don't get it that much btw but the times i have have usually been when my arms have been bigger than usual due to say 2 weeks of camping/riding and they grew enough to feel tight in the pressure suit.

Backing the straps off helped.

Pillow tops are pretty good too, been a half waffle fan forever but if i ever see PT's discounted i'll grab 'em.
Old 26-03-2015
DBW Clubman

I add tennis racquet tape under my pillow tops (2 layers) for extra cushiness and fatter for big hands.

Is it possible that the chance of arm pump is reduced by...
1. Fatter grips: by keeping the hand open a little bit more (and muscles not as contracted) than thin grips?
2. One finger on clutch and brake which helps maintain a looser grip?

(^ these are questions not statements)
Old 26-03-2015
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMC View Post
I add tennis racquet tape under my pillow tops (2 layers) for extra cushiness and fatter for big hands.

Is it possible that the chance of arm pump is reduced by...
1. Fatter grips: by keeping the hand open a little bit more (and muscles not as contracted) than thin grips?
2. One finger on clutch and brake which helps maintain a looser grip?
After 25+ years of setting up bikes for everyone from chronic arm-pumpers (Jay Marmont) to zero arm pump (Maddo), I'm convinced it's about 90% a combination of bike set-up and technique and 10% genetics.

Most US MX Pros run super-thin kevlar grips so you can pretty much rule out thin grips as a cause per se. However...fat grips may just alter the riders physical position enough to enact a partial cure.

Once all the ergo/bike set-up fixes are in place, arm pump is significantly reduced. Some things that may help are:

Softer rear suspension
Hold on looser and grip the bike with your legs
Align the bar riser with the fork leg angle
Move the bar mount directly above the triple clamp centre bolt
Softer front mid-valve
Smaller diameter grips (yep...)
Raptor pegs
Good lever angle settings
Grip donuts
Good damper settings (start at max HS and min LS)

Hope that helps...
Old 26-03-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
After 25+ years of setting up bikes for everyone from chronic arm-pumpers (Jay Marmont) to zero arm pump (Maddo), I'm convinced it's about 90% a combination of bike set-up and technique and 10% genetics.

Most US MX Pros run super-thin kevlar grips so you can pretty much rule out thin grips as a cause per se. However...fat grips may just alter the riders physical position enough to enact a partial cure.

Once all the ergo/bike set-up fixes are in place, arm pump is significantly reduced. Some things that may help are:

Softer rear suspension
Hold on looser and grip the bike with your legs
Align the bar riser with the fork leg angle
Move the bar mount directly above the triple clamp centre bolt
Softer front mid-valve
Raptor pegs
Good lever angle settings
Grip donuts
Good damper settings (start at max HS and min LS)

Hope that helps...

god I am good !
Old 26-03-2015
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post

Most US MX Pros run super-thin kevlar grips so you can pretty much rule out thin grips as a cause per se.

Hope that helps...
Thanks Nutty, good info.

I kind of expected that answer with the fatter grips as I found similar info on the 'net when I looked it up a while back. (ie: thinner grips = better)
I'm actually trying to reduce pinch blisters not arm pump. It didn't help blisters much but I haven't yet found any big disadvantage with fat cushy grips. Although, I'm no SX rider.
Old 26-03-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideo View Post
....I assume you used to suffer it Mr berg, what worked best for you out of all that you have tried, and by what amount?....
i couldn't say what worked best for me, but the big three were stegz pegz, more time in the saddle and telling myself not to grip hard unless i needed to. mind you i still got it a bit at the endurocross and wildwood rock.

i know different things work for different riders so wouldn't claim these are the main "cures" for anyone else.

there was a guy on thumpertalk saying some miracle supplement like extract of yak fat or powdered seal pup whiskers got him sorted and it would work for everyone else too.
Old 26-03-2015
dbw Pro

Why has it not been said?

Harden the **** up and ride more often.

"my arms cramp up" ****en pussies.

Take up knitting and stop annoying real dirt bikers with ya drivel.
Old 27-03-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sus_scrofa View Post
Why has it not been said?
Harden the **** up and ride more often.
"my arms cramp up" ****en pussies.
Take up knitting and stop annoying real dirt bikers with ya drivel.
nutty, can you pass this along to jay marmont?