dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 15-03-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
Well, to tell you the truth, I've always gone along the lines MichaelF purported. I reckon Birchy is just going round the world talking shit so no-one else will ever ride better than him.

Bergman has plenty of video of him riding, so it should be pretty easy to see what he's doing.
Some of the pro's have very weird bar setups.
AJ Roberts used to have his bars rolled all the way back

"What works for some, doesn't always work for others".
Old 24-03-2016
DBW Dweller

As a new person to dirt biking id thought I would share my ?journey? beating arm pump. My background is in racing mountain bikes and I know a bit about fitness principals also, I really enjoy this sort of stuff. I bought a ktm 300 a year and a half ago after moving to a town with hardly any mountain biking and being a competitive jerk I planned to get fit and do some enduro races. I had a typical cyclists physique, boss legs buy fairly weedy upper body.

After 6 months of riding to figure out my strength deficits and get coordinated enough to ride properly, my first plan was to hit the gym hard to build up power in order to throw a 110kg bike around easily. After 6 months my arm pump would get extremely pain full with my arms being rock solid over my 20 min training track. I did some research and had a chat to a myofascial massage friend and went on a different tangent to develop bike fitness.

Now I have focused more on cardio and doing shorter interval stuff to build lactic tolerance, long mountain biking for endurance and for upper body strength I do a mixture of rowing machine, paddling my surf ski and some high rep body weight stuff. The best thing I have found is doing 3 10 min high intensity intervals with some high heart rate targeting on a rowing machine, they are great exercise for bikes. Also bought some foot massaging devices with little knobbly wheels on them which I use to massage forearms while sitting at the desk at work. After another 6 months, arm pump has been reduced significantly. I get tired arms after a 20 min run around my training track, but my lack of ability to hold on is just regular muscle fatigue rather than horrible locked up arm pump. The theory is that a stronger cardiovascular system and less solid muscle mass, means that the heart can pump more blood through the muscles in your arms, rather than getting trapped in the slightly compressed venous (blood return) system and getting pumped. Lastly, I have been trailing a good cardio warm up before a ride. Less important if you are going for a all day trail ride, but before I go to my training track, I go for a 10-15min run to crank up the cardio system and increase blood flow to the muscles. It seems to help.

Im still working on this and have a lot of bike handling stuff to work on as well, but I figure if you are very fit, then you will be faster for not making mistakes due to fatigue and the race pace bike skills will come later.
Old 24-03-2016
dbw Pro Hero

Some good info and ideas there fish - will tweak my exercise regime (cough-cough) to see if I can produce results similar to yours. I can just see all the boys going "Yeah - sure Pete!" when I ask them to join me on a hell hill run before we get on the bikes.
Old 24-03-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroke bloke View Post
I think there will be times where everyone suffers from arm pump. IMO, best to stop and rest until it's completely gone and then start again. I.e, second wind in footy. The 2nd quarter is the easiest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusfish View Post

The theory is that a stronger cardiovascular system and less solid muscle mass, means that the heart can pump more blood through the muscles in your arms, rather than getting trapped in the slightly compressed venous (blood return) system and getting pumped.

I 100% agree with this theory ^

I go for a 10-15min run to crank up the cardio system and increase blood flow to the muscles. It seems to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
I can just see all the boys going "Yeah - sure Pete!" when I ask them to join me on a hell hill run before we get on the bikes.
Same theory as mine. Just worded differently/better . I.e, 2nd wind in footy.
BTW. It absaloutly works .

Last edited by 2 stroke bloke; 24-03-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-08-2016
dbw Pro

Great read thanks for the info.
Old 05-09-2016
DBW Expert

I changed my bar bend. Less sweep. Arm pump gone. So much for the theory of it being mental.

Last edited by numroe; 06-09-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2016
DBW Clubman

I have a big tear in the tendon of my forearm, I've had a steroid shot into it and have revised my exercise regime but it's still there. I seem to get a similar experience in both arms now after really caning hill climb after hill climb its like curling spaghetti onto a fork, feels like someone has a fork dug into the bulge on the top of my elbow and is turning it.

But, I don't get that radical forearm pump I used to get. At all..

Also the second full day we rode at Bike Territory I have to say that while the tear was a bit sore, I experienced no pump, spasm or any of that other weird shit..