dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 02-01-2016
dbw Factory Pro

Riding with kids - which bike?

So my oldest little fella (8) is on a PW80 & I'm about to put my 4 y.o on a 50 of some sort.

I'm interested in following them around at some of the tracks here around Melbourne and on a mates property. I've had a look at a few of the pit bike style things and some of the better quality bikes look to be OK.
Thoughts of resale, the massive weight, how bloody noisy they are & then just riding a small capacity 4 stroke started making me think outside the box.

I think what finally sold me on the 2 stroke fun bike idea was when one of my boys mates who rides a Braap thing pretty well, jumped on my boys PW.
He came back into the pit area with eyes like saucers babbling about the power, how light it felt, how well it stopped etc etc...Welcome to 2 strokes..... It was funny as you cant really tell an 8 year old the differences & have them understand. His dad is a road bike guy and committed to the 4 stroke world so the look he gave me was very funny.
Guess what his dad had to buy him? A KTM 65!
Fun factor has increased dramatically and the dad's old line "I haven't touched it in 3 years except for chain lube" has now changed for a weekly regime of maintenance.

So this little episode started me having thoughts of converting a PW80 into a pit bike style of ride with adult sized bits which then led me onto just buying an older 2 stroke mini like an RM/YZ 85.
When I look at the 2nd hand price of an RM/YZ85 compared to a TTR125 then look at the much better quality wheels, shock, forks brakes etc it just doesn't seem to make sense that the TTRs are so much more expensive.

Whatever I buy will need work on springs etc so why not an 85? I wont be doing fully sik jumps, trying to race the pit bike bike boys at Frankston or miles of trail bike riding just following my brats around. I expect I could tune an 85 to do that OK.

Has anyone done this?

Thoughts?
Old 02-01-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Kx100 or ktm105(were these production?) might be better for bit more grunt. Not sure if frames n wheels are bigger? Otherwise yeah big wheel 85 be great fun. Jus use it at tracks or private property n don't become a bogan on it(riding it on roads, no helmet, thongs on, pissed doubling the kids!). I say do it
Old 02-01-2016
DBW Clubman

Can pick up a kx100 pretty cheap these days. seen plenty round $1000 mark where i live lately
-pw50s x 2
- electric bike
Old 02-01-2016
dbw Pro Addict

If the goal was just to follow the kids around, then you know that a CRF or TTR230 is the only sensible choice.

But if it is about having fun, then I'd go a KX100.

The Boy got a PW80 for Christmas. He loves it, but not as much as mum & dad do... I foresee some injured parents before too long.
Old 02-01-2016
dbw Factory Pro

Big wheel 85 is tickling my bits.
The bigger ttr's aren't allowed on the same tracks with the kids at the ride park places otherwise they would be perfect.
Old 02-01-2016
DBW Clubman

Ttr125 lw? same class as the 85's arnt they
-pw50s x 2
- electric bike
Old 02-01-2016
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKWDW View Post
Ttr125 lw? same class as the 85's arnt they
Not in a million years.

85's are racers, TTR125...well......well at least they won't take up your time with maintenance.
Old 02-01-2016
dbw Pro Champion

We had a CRF230 we bought to follow the kids which was okay but now we have a CRF110 which is perfect. We can all ride it, including the kids, estart and no clutch and it has a fair bit of go.
I can't imagine using an 85 for that person, those things are made to be ridden hard
Old 02-01-2016
dbw Pro Champion

You'll get sick of the 85 as an adult real quick they are a racer not and not for pottering around on and they will be uncomfortable . We have been through everything from PW50 to KTM50sx a few 65sx and a couple of 85sx Still have one in the shed as well as 125sx and postie bike, XR80,TY250, DRZ400,CRF 450 and my brother had a DT200R an it was probably one of the best bikes for chasing the kids on back in the day they are still cheap and a good fun bike and pretty comfy. Other then that I would say something like a TTR 250 you'll be far more comfy and more likely to spent all day happy following the kids around on it rather then something your cramped on with a hard seat,and an electric leg is always nice too(but not essential ).i believe at the end of the day if your not after "POWER"! And handling the your after comfort to be happy all day.
"E"

Why does my brain keep cashing cheques my body can't pay for?

Not Feeling Yourself Lately,Well Then That's One BAD Habbit You've Finally Grown Out Of!!

CLUB MUD#105
Old 02-01-2016
dbw Pro

Postie with nobbies works well for us to follow kids around farm. Zero maintence and easy for anyone to ride. Definitely not suited for mx tracks though.

Last edited by Jdoggmf; 02-01-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Silly auto edit on iPad