dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 25-04-2016
DBW Clubman

2 reg/rec units on XR4

gday all.

I'm looking to improve the overall lighting on my XR4.

I want to be able to mount a 6" LED bar on the front of my bike for high beam and upgrade normal head light to something better than a glowing ember.

in short I'm looking a rectifying the headlight circuit to best use LED lighting solutions.

iv followed most if not all of the wiring for the bike know where everything goes etc.

however I did find what I think is an unnecessary reg/rec under my tank. there is already a reg/rec behind the headlight that does the indicator and horn.

the reg/rec under the seat has only the supply cables terminated into the 4 way connector. to my knowledge this means that the reg/rec isn't actually being use as there is no output connected. does this sound correct to everyone?

the bike has runs perfect so there is no issue in that regard. as I want to rectify this circuit that will stop the regulator part of the unit from working. so if there is any way that this unit is in fact being used I need to know.

depending on the function and rating of this unit I may be able to use what I think is the output side of the unit to run the headlight circuit

both units are made by Shindengen which makes me think stock units.
part number of one behind headlight is SH542B-12 and one under tank is SH557D-12

any help is greatly appreciated
waz
Old 27-04-2016
dbw Factory Pro

No idea.
But thinking about Nutty's comment (http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?t=112252) on WR rec/reg making AC & DC output then maybe you have 2 because one is outputting AC and the other DC?

Or it's Frankenstein?
Old 28-04-2016
DBW Clubman

Yeah that could be the case however there is nothing connected to what should be the output of the second unit. Meaning somehow it works in parallel (not to my knowledge) or that circuit isn't being regulated.

I'm thinking the later. Iv been chatting to an elec engineer mate that has pretty much confirmed my thoughts that it's doing squat. Gonna test the output side of the unit to see if it is outputting DC or regulated AC. Then test the supply side to see if it is regulated AC or not. Just need time to do so.

My suspicions are that the unit is doing nothing in its present configuration and the circuit is unregulated. Will post up results on the weekend
Old 29-04-2016
dbw Pro Legend

I know nothing of XRs electricals, so...

the rec/reg to the horn and blinkers would likely be your DC

Are you sure the one under the seat is not just a regulator for AC to the headlight/brakelight.Two wires in from stator/two wires out going to headlight,etc
09 KTM300EXC-E
89 KTM125EXC