dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 25-04-2016
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Broken collarbone

On Saturday I thought I'd try my hand at gymnastics. Hit a dip on a fire trail which popped the rear wheel up and launched me over the handlebars. Not that I remember it, but the guy behind me said it looked like a no-hander triple cartwheel with only my helmet and boots making contact with the ground. I need to work on my landing though as it appears landing on my head with my full body weight following isn't the way to go.

Thank god I was wearing my neck brace otherwise my neck surely would have snapped, but instead my right collarbone took the brunt. I think it is pretty cool how they can do a 3D rendering of your CT scans so you can actually tell what is clearly not right. Even to my untrained eye the bone is clearly broken in multiple places.

... and then to remove the rib cage to only show the shoulder and broken collarbone is cool. It's a bloody mess

I was kept in Shoalhaven Hospital yesterday night for observation and released in the morning. Endone is great but even it cannot mark the pain of the broken bits grinding together. I plan on seeing my GP tomorrow to get a referral to an Orthopedic Surgeon to see if they can pin/rod/glue/screw/whatever the thing back together for a quicker recovery.

The helmet, unsurprisingly, will need to be replaced with scarring and a small crack in it.

The hospital thought I needed to upgrade my kit too so they cut off my shirt and pants Oh well, I had my eye on some Moose Sahara stuff anyway
Old 25-04-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Looks like an epic get off man. That collarbone makes my bruised ribs feel better!

What did the docs say bout the neck brace? Do they believe it saved a spinal injury?
Old 25-04-2016
dbw Pro

OUCH... I can see the problem in that scan.
Old 25-04-2016
dbw Pro Legend

ct scans are cool i did 15 breaks 10 weeks ago and had ct scan because doctor couldn't work out the number of breaks.

hope you recover and get back on the bike soon.
Old 25-04-2016
DBW Clubman

No biggie collar bone is sacrifical. Feels weird to have bones floating around for a few weeks. I'd say your lucky if your joints and scapular are ok. 6 weeks to get back on a bike. Or 2-3 weeks taking it easy maybe.
Surgery can be hit and miss, best to just have a bump and let it heal you will be back riding sooner. I have a really big bump on mine. Pm me if you need any more info as I just went through all this recently and then broke my scapular few weeks ago on same side because I was wearing shoulder wearing armour I reckon. Yep endone is awesome for your mental health instead of feeling sorry for yourself but not much better than neuofen and panadol extra for pain

Last edited by Bente; 25-04-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 26-04-2016
dbw Pro Legend

regarding surgery ( I work with an orthopaedic surgeon), the only indication really is to get back to full function a bit quicker. Many patients will have another operation to remove the plate as it is irritating for some. Otherwise just let it heal as per the above post.
Good luck, the worst bit will be the waiting and remembering not to sleep on your right side!
Old 26-04-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Just like your forum posts, you don't do anything half @r$ed do you Arcta
Glad to see you up still kicking with no dent in the enthusiasm.

I'm absolutely positive you've already said it to them a few hundred times, but a solid set up thumbs up to your riding mates for having your back.
Old 26-04-2016
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Just got a referral to see an Ortho on Thursday. Will see what he says but if the surgery is a go it'll be on Tuesday - so a week today which will be 10 days after the break... dunno if that's too long?
Old 26-04-2016
dbw Pro Legend

not much will have happened to the fracture in 10 days.
Old 26-04-2016
DBW Clubman

Human body is pretty amazing what it can do by itself