dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 24-10-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Hi Nutty,

After reading your response to my post I decided to do some research on the issue at hand (i'm a nursing student so researching such things from credible resources is not foreign to me). And while I wont go as far as to say your incorrect, as I read a lot of your posts and you seem to be a knowledgeable guy, I question whether your right in this instance. I found the following quote from a paper called 'Is removal of clavicle plate after fracture union necessary?'

The link for this paper which is available on the net is:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249928/

The second operation to remove the plate, however, is not without morbidity.[15] One patient (3.7%) sustained a further fracture through a previous inter-fragmentary screw hole and two other through a separate accident in the group of patients with their plates out. On the contrary, we did not find a single spontaneous fracture in patients with clavicle plate in. This effectively refutes the anecdotal view that clavicle plate left in would become stress riser resulting in a higher incidence of re-fracture

Now I'm no expert, and my original post was based on information given to me by my surgeon. Also, the above information was only from 1 credible source, although I found a number of non-credible websites which support the opinion of this paper.

But to the fellow with the recovering break, my advice would be to seek the opinions of several surgeons if your unsure what to do. Good luck with it.
Old 24-10-2016
DBW Clubman

If It was me I reckon the only lesson is to trust your initial instinct more next time and not the Drs. But I don't know, I reckon mine was as bad or worse than your X-ray and is strong enough now but with a big bump and shit floating around. But I'm still inclined to believe the Drs made the right decision not operating in my situation with my shoulder as it's the best decision for most people with collar bones. Soo they say keep the pin in there I'd probably leave it, but looking at what's happened so far its a similar gamble either way and know yourself if you want it out definitely get it out then
Old 25-10-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanator27 View Post
Hi Nutty,

After reading your response to my post I decided to do some research on the issue at hand (i'm a nursing student so researching such things from credible resources is not foreign to me). And while I wont go as far as to say your(sic) incorrect, as I read a lot of your posts and you seem to be a knowledgeable guy, I question whether your(sic) right(sic) in this instance.
Question away Normie. I reckon I've seen more scapulas broken than any Ortho (or your source), I know more motocrossers and racers than your source and I've seen at least 10 re-breaks over 30 years of being at the races. If Dr Google reckons there's no issue, be my guest to leave the plates in.

The best Orthos I know, Dr J Goldberg and Dr D Biggs, both recommend that athletes have plates removed. If ANY rider has a crash that breaks a bone, the likelihood of a similar crash surely can't be discounted...

Ask Cody Mackie...broke his femur in 2008 at Coolum.
Next year, same track, broke the same leg with rod still inserted.
Titanium rod bent and can't be withdrawn...what to do next?
Run that one by your sources...

Ask Maddo, broke his radius, had it plated.
A few years later he knuckles a jump and snaps the bone again (at a screw hole, not the initial fracture...).
The break can't be reset because the bent plate is holding the break at 90 degrees. Major operation lasting many hours to repair a simple fracture.

I could go on with 10-15 examples but I'll defer to Dr Google. I do not give a flying f**k if peeps dispute 30 years of experience in favour of those who rate theory over experience.

Deano has been off the bike for 5 months because he took the Doctors advice...

Arctra (Dean) is a good mate of mine and I don't want to see him suffer any more angst or pain and I'll counsel him to do what I know, from years of being around top-line racers, is the correct thing to do.

The Internet being what it is I could probably do a Spac and find a dozen reports supporting my view but there's no need really. I've seen far too many re-breaks over the screw holes (with plates still in) to accredit any credence to the view of leaving plates inside people involved in athletic pursuits.

Cheers.

p.s. If you've ever seen how some less-than-capable surgeons burr the heads of stainless bone screws, you'll immediately realise why they're reluctant to remove plates. Can't use an ezy-out or 're-grip' inside peeps bodies...
Old 25-10-2016
dbw Pro Legend

What was the (sic) for next to 'right' nutty?
Old 25-10-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post

p.s. If you've ever seen how some less-than-capable surgeons burr the heads of stainless bone screws, you'll immediately realise why they're reluctant to remove plates. Can't use an ezy-out or 're-grip' inside peeps bodies...
Haha yuck, not to mention a bit of swarf/stainless screw head bits floating around ya body!
Old 25-10-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
What was the (sic) for next to 'right' nutty?
Literacy 101 SB. When you quote a grammatical error of any kind it is normal practice to identify such errors. The Latin adverb sic ("thus"; in full: sic erat scriptum, "thus was it written") inserted after a quoted word, indicates that the quoted matter has been transcribed exactly as found in the source text.

'Right' is the opposite to both 'left' and 'wrong'. Opinions are never 'wrong', rooting your Sister is 'wrong'. Opinions can be correct or incorrect though...
Old 25-10-2016
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Literacy 101 SB. When you quote a grammatical error of any kind it is normal practice to identify such errors. The Latin adverb sic ("thus"; in full: sic erat scriptum, "thus was it written") inserted after a quoted word, indicates that the quoted matter has been transcribed exactly as found in the source text.

'Right' is the opposite to both 'left' and 'wrong'. Opinions are never 'wrong', rootisng your Sister is 'wrong'. Opinions can be correct or incorrect though...
also is sic(k).

I remember watching a doco about Barry Sheene where he broke his femur at Daytona. The surgeon inserted a rod, left it for 12 months then removed it. The reasoning was if the leg gets broken again and the rod bent, the best surgeon in the world can't get the rod out!!

What happened with Codie? Oxy set and a press to straighten it maybe
Old 25-10-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldscool View Post

I remember watching a doco about Barry Sheene where he broke his femur at Daytona. The surgeon inserted a rod, left it for 12 months then removed it. The reasoning was if the leg gets broken again and the rod bent, the best surgeon in the world can't get the rod out!!

What happened with Cody? Oxy set and a press to straighten it maybe
Luckily the first Surgeon had stuffed up and inserted a childs rod. Being too small diameter, they could drag it out taking a fair bit of bone marrow with them. Had it re-rodded and gave up his sport/profession.
Old 25-10-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
'Right' is the opposite to both 'left' and 'wrong'. Opinions are never 'wrong', rooting your Sister is 'wrong'. Opinions can be correct or incorrect though...
Somewhat dubious but yeah rito il let this one slide. I'm watchin u tho!