dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 08-08-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Kokusan 2-t cdi

Would any of the brains trust have any idea how likely it would be that the Beta 2-t cdi for the 250 & 300 is the very same black box, just mapped differently for each bike?

Am about to go up 50cc for fun & trying to suss whether it's worth spending the extra $400+ on the cdi when I should be able to keep mine & run it on "soft" as opposed to the stock "hard" setting on the 250.

Have emailed Beta USA - nothing yet..
Old 08-08-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by katokonvert View Post
Would any of the brains trust have any idea how likely it would be that the Beta 2-t cdi for the 250 & 300 is the very same black box, just mapped differently for each bike?

Am about to go up 50cc for fun & trying to suss whether it's worth spending the extra $400+ on the cdi when I should be able to keep mine & run it on "soft" as opposed to the stock "hard" setting on the 250.

Have emailed Beta USA - nothing yet..
Most spark advance curves are based on rpm/porting profile (stroke) and flame front advance requirements (bore). As the 300 has a much bigger bore it'll run a wee bit more advance than the 250 right across the map. The architecture of the Kokusan modules is all the same. The case varies between manufacturers. I have an FMF module in my KTM and it plugs straight in.

Get Cam to simply check the parts numbers, that'll tell you in 2 secs. I very much doubt they're the same though for the reasons above...
Old 08-08-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Most spark advance curves are based on rpm/porting profile (stroke) and flame front advance requirements (bore). As the 300 has a much bigger bore it'll run a wee bit more advance than the 250 right across the map. The architecture of the Kokusan modules is all the same. The case varies between manufacturers. I have an FMF module in my KTM and it plugs straight in.

Get Cam to simply check the parts numbers, that'll tell you in 2 secs. I very much doubt they're the same though for the reasons above...
Thanks, Nutty - that learned me something.

Yes, they have different part #'s but could it be that the advanced ("soft") mapping stock in the 300 & the (I'm guessing) slightly retarded ("hard") mapping stock in the 250 exists in the same box, simply accessed by a map switch?

In other words, will the bike run as a 300 with my cdi on "soft" - or will it blow up and rip a hole in the time/space continuum?
Old 08-08-2016
dbw Pro Addict

Put in a flux capacitor instead . . .
Old 08-08-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk View Post
Put in a flux capacitor instead . . .
Terrilium core or Methoxypyrizine crystal diode?
Old 08-08-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Cant help with beta but with KTM 250/ 300
250 SX 07 box runs great in the 300 most power for sure as it did in the 11 & 14 250's stock and modded heads.
14/250 stock box runs in the 300 but not as good as the stock 300 box by a fair margin

all box run in both power modes.

my bet the 250 box will run fine and you wont notice because going up to a 300 its going to be more powerful anyways, i very much doubt it will stuff the motor

$400 for the CDI...cheap beta parts myth busted
Old 08-08-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Thanks, Nutty - that learned me something.

Yes, they have different part #'s but could it be that the advanced ("soft") mapping stock in the 300 & the (I'm guessing) slightly retarded ("hard") mapping stock in the 250 exists in the same box, simply accessed by a map switch?

In other words, will the bike run as a 300 with my cdi on "soft" - or will it blow up and rip a hole in the time/space continuum?
The 250s hard map might well be a soft equivalent in the 300. They have the same stroke and a similar port-map. But...if you are going to all the effort to build a 300 you'll want the whole enchilada.

What about seeing if the KTM part fits? Then again, it's a Beta, the spare part will only be $3.75
Old 08-08-2016
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Terrilium core or Methoxypyrizine crystal diode?
Terrilium core is the best in my opinion

Don,t get me wrong the Methoxypyrizine crystal diodes are very good and some people get them to work real well , but there so hard to set up
your squish and the correct coloured powerband are crucial for reliability,
they are prone to creating thermonuclear explosions at high revs if you close the throttle .

Old 08-08-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
The 250s hard map might well be a soft equivalent in the 300. They have the same stroke and a similar port-map. But...if you are going to all the effort to build a 300 you'll want the whole enchilada.

What about seeing if the KTM part fits? Then again, it's a Beta, the spare part will only be $3.75
Thanks, Nutty & ggg for the technical responses.

I don't want a fire-breather, just a clean-running motor that uses NECJ/35/165 or similar driving 13/49 (50). Strong, but not arm-pulling, roll-on power. I like that style. The 250 has helped me to be a little more aggressive

The kits available are the superseded (previous model/year) Race set up & come with a slightly different barrel & head. I'm guessing tweaked porting & comp respectively. There are 3 different cdi's listed for my16 2-t's - they are all $492. Ouch!

A few KTM 300 black boxes around & I've read elsewhere they work on Beta 2-t's - it's an option if the 250 cdi doesn't work correctly.

Thanks again for the replies & advice - DBW still rocks.
Old 09-08-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatick View Post
Terrilium core is the best in my opinion

Don,t get me wrong the Methoxypyrizine crystal diodes are very good and some people get them to work real well , but there so hard to set up
your squish and the correct coloured powerband are crucial for reliability,
they are prone to creating thermonuclear explosions at high revs if you close the throttle .

I've found the exact opposite! Methoxypyrizine crystal is heaps better for off road, waaaay more linear power without that terrilium core hit. Jus bash in the turquoise powerband n ya good to go. If u wanna bit more agro outta her jam in the lavender coloured band-smells like fluffy fabric softener but goes like stink.

Ya correct in that set up is imperative to max Meth crystal(?!) performance but provided you don't run divisible gearing(or it in a glass pipe) ul b fine.

If you're getting thermonuclear detonation wen choppin the throttle at high revs somethin is seriously amiss in your set up. Does the cylinder head glow green at night?