dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 25-08-2016
DBW Clubman

WR450 speedo

Hi guys, long story short, created my own problem with generation system on my 2015 wr450, resulting in a dead flat battery. Along with the flat battery came a dim and wacko speedo. I've rectified all faults with charging system and battery. Though now I get a blank speedo, the backlight works fine. I've tested the cables to the speedo and I'm getting a constant 12v when bike is off and also the 12v on the brown when it's on, as per specs. My question is, is there maybe a way too reset it? Or is the lcd fried from low voltage? Anyone else experienced this? TIA
Old 25-08-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumfield View Post
Hi guys, long story short, created my own problem with generation system on my 2015 wr450, resulting in a dead flat battery. Along with the flat battery came a dim and wacko speedo. I've rectified all faults with charging system and battery. Though now I get a blank speedo, the backlight works fine. I've tested the cables to the speedo and I'm getting a constant 12v when bike is off and also the 12v on the brown when it's on, as per specs. My question is, is there maybe a way too reset it? Or is the lcd fried from low voltage? Anyone else experienced this? TIA
Doesn't sound OK to me Callum, the battery voltage (12.5VDC or so) should appear at the speedo with the motor not running and ign on. When the motor's running you should see the rec/regs' DC output there (13.3VDC or so).

You should never see the battery's nominal voltage (12VDC) anywhere on the DC rail when the motor is running, you should always see charging voltage (13.8VDC or so on Yammys).

I'd check the AC and DC outputs of the rec/reg again.
Old 25-08-2016
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Doesn't sound OK to me Callum, the battery voltage (12.5V or so) should appear at the speedo with the motor not running and ign on. When the motor's running you should see the rec/regs' DC output there (13.3V or so).

You should never see the battery's nominal voltage (12V) anywhere on the DC rail when the motor is running, you should always see charging voltage (13.8V or so on Yammys).

I'd check the AC and DC outputs of the rec/reg again.
Sorry mate I was a bit vague on the figures. It is 13.5-14 running and just over 12 off. Think the speedo unit could be fried from my stuff up nutty?
Old 25-08-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumfield View Post
Sorry mate I was a bit vague on the figures. It is 13.5-14 running and just over 12 off. Think the speedo unit could be fried from my stuff up nutty?
No, digital devices simply turn off if the supply voltage is too low. Once the voltage regulator chip has less than the minimum required 'headroom' voltage, it shuts down.
Old 14-01-2017
DBW Dweller

Have you got any other solutions to this Nutty, or have you recitified the issue Callumfield? Mines doing the same with fading in and out! Frustrating.