dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 02-09-2016
DBW Clubman

Energy drink replacement.

I'm currently looking for a good healthy energy drink to replace the coffee and monsters I drink now. I generally drink 2 travel mugs of coffee and a monster energy drink every morning(over 4hrs from when I leave home in the truck) and usually another monster drink during the day. Drink water in between.

I leave for work between 12.30-1.30 am so looking for something to help keep me on the ball while driving and hopefully keep me going most of the day. Something I can hav hot for the winter months and cold during summer preferably. I hav a fridge so can make 2-3 to drink throughout the day.

What's the best alternatives?

Also without starting a new thread what are the meal replacement shakes like? I know there not a proper meal replacement but with my bad eating or not eating habits during the day thought it mite give me a bit of a boost as well. I'm pretty stingy buying food on the road and often will go without anything until I get home in the arvo. If I buy something to eat it's usually something I can eat on the run like a sausage roll. I have tried making meals to take but I don't always get home to make them and I usually get over doing it quickly so looking for a lazy way out I guess you could say.
-pw50s x 2
- electric bike
Old 02-09-2016
dbw Pro

HI there. If you really want to go the full hog by a commercial blender, like an Optimum 9400, I know it sounds funny, or similar commercial 'Nutri bullet' type blender and do your own mixes.
You can mix veg and fruit, use water or other liquids and make the most amazing, energizing drinks.
I am a bit lazy so am not that regular with it but when I do make my blends I can definitely skip the coffee to which I ma otherwise addicted.
I generally don't like powders or premixed stuff because one does not really have any control over what goes i it.
Old 02-09-2016
DBW Clubman

I work on the road too mate and have found fruits like apples, pears and bananas make great "eat on the move" food. Occasionally I'll also pack a carrot or two, but they need to be kept cold to stay crisp.
As far as drinks go, I'm a coffee man and I'm not afraid to admit it, although water, plain milk or juice would be better for me.

My guideline is "the less machinery used to make it, the better it is for me".
Old 02-09-2016
dbw Pro Hero

Coconut water mate. Seriously. I have been making smoothies using real coconuts (it's hard work, so just buy it already done) every day for the last 6 months plus. I have lost heaps of weight. I have a predominantly banana and coconut smoothie. You can add berries and strawberries and milk if you want it a bit thicker.

I find it gives me heaps of energy and last a good few hours (4-5) up till lunch.

You don't need a Nutri bullet either. I bought a $20 blender from Target - works fine. If you have a fridge in the truck and an inverter, my blender is only 600W and runs off my van inverter.

Freeze your bananas, icy cold coconut water, add cinnamon and raw cacao nibs - man - you have a good start to the day. Fresh, proper food.
Old 03-09-2016
DBW Clubman

I've tried coconut water and nearly threw up trying to get it down my throat. Hate it.
Will give the blender way and try some mixes. We already have one of those Nutri bullet style blenders at home but it only makes one drink at a time where is like to make 3-4 to take to work with me
-pw50s x 2
- electric bike
Old 03-09-2016
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKWDW View Post
I've tried coconut water and nearly threw up trying to get it down my throat. Hate it.
Will give the blender way and try some mixes. We already have one of those Nutri bullet style blenders at home but it only makes one drink at a time where is like to make 3-4 to take to work with me
Yeah I'm the same - don't really like it straight either. Mix it as the main ingredient with other fruit and you don't even taste it. Freeze your bananas - makes it thicker, put in blueberries, strawberries, mango etc - you'll never taste the coconut water. You wont need 3 or 4 of them. Proper food fills you up properly. Make one or two (big ones) with your Nutri-bullet and put them in your fridge in the truck.

You're on the right track not wanting to gulp down sugary energy drinks for sure. There is no such thing as a healthy "energy" drink like RedBull etc. Just try making your own - you might have to do it when the family is not asleep though - those blenders make a fair racket.
Old 03-09-2016
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
I'm currently looking for a good healthy energy drink to replace the coffee and monsters I drink now. I generally drink 2 travel mugs of coffee and a monster energy drink every morning(over 4hrs from when I leave home in the truck) and usually another monster drink during the day. Drink water in between.
Quote:

Also without starting a new thread what are the meal replacement shakes like? I know there not a proper meal replacement but with my bad eating or not eating habits during the day thought it mite give me a bit of a boost as well. I'm pretty stingy buying food on the road and often will go without anything until I get home in the arvo. If I buy something to eat it's usually something I can eat on the run like a sausage roll. I have tried making meals to take but I don't always get home to make them and I usually get over doing it quickly so looking for a lazy way out I guess you could say.
As black and white as your post appears....I don't get it.

If you feel you need caffeine and don't want to drink it take Nodoze.

You say coffee and Monsters are unhealthy, why in moderation they're fine, what problem are you having with them ?? Weight ?? Rotten Teeth ??

Then you want powdered meal replacements...

I don't get it.....

Healthy eating...fruit, nuts, veges, meats, fish.

Maybe you need a new job that allows you to look after yourself better
Old 04-09-2016
DBW Expert

If you want more energy then research the paleo diet. You need to ween yourself off your dependence (addiction) for carbohydrates. You probably think this is BS. You research and decide.

Then your "energy drink" could be water with a pinch of himalayan rock salt.

If you are addicted to caffine then that's another issue.
Old 04-09-2016
dbw Pro Addict

I decided to drop the coffee out of my diet at the start of last month. Usually drink an easy 5 cups a day, no sugar, lots of milk. At first had a shocker of a head ache which may have lasted up to 5 days, but since then can say my energy levels are a bit more level. Much easier to recognise when I'm genuinely tired and as such get more quality sleep, which in turn leaves me better rested and less fatigued into the next day.

No doubt whole foods are the best go to.
Old 04-09-2016
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by numroe View Post
If you want more energy then research the paleo diet. You need to ween yourself off your dependence (addiction) for carbohydrates. You probably think this is BS. You research and decide.

Then your "energy drink" could be water with a pinch of himalayan rock salt.

If you are addicted to caffine then that's another issue.
I am in love with that stuff. I think that is bad actually. Need to wean myself off it for sure.