dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 20-09-2016
dbw Pro Legend

KTM Rear LED tail light repair

So I had the good fortune to find my rear brake light had failed....as in the brake LEDs failed to turn on when the running LEDs were on at the same time. A quick look at Boltons site and the 2008-2011 brake lights are $137....

I found a good link on the UK KTM site here for a quick fix solution....http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/off-road-e...ear-light.html .......so wanting a quick fix I grabbed a 13 LED globe from Autobarn and fixed my light using this instruction...pretty straightforward and works very well. The only differences I made was to make a small white plastic reflector behind the globe as held by the two small screws that used to hold the old light assembly in the housing, and I used clear silicon to hold the globe in place as using duct tape only would eventually come apart and allow the globe to vibrate in the light housing (leading to globe failure, etc).

Wiring colours / function:
White Green - Brake
White - Tail
Brown - Ground

I did search ebay and looked for a less expensive replacement light with not much success other than non-std types, and I preferred to keep the stock KTM set up.....I did consider getting a similar sized LED brakelight off ebay that I could pull apart and squeeze into the stock KTM light but not being keen to wait for delivery and Autobarn having high intensity LED globes for $16 it was a no brainer.
Old 20-09-2016
Foot long Sav

Thanks for the info, I'm sure it'll be appreciated by others with the same problem.

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.

The opposite of success isn't failure, it's 'giving up'.