dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 09-10-2016
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPPER View Post
I am not sure if its tennis elbow or old age ( 47) but I am getting sore elbows and tip of one shoulder blade. Been going to gym for a while but I think I may have to stop any heavier weights as the body is cracking up .
Waking up in the mornings sore .
Could be a bone/body type issue -
Anyone else had similar issues and have any luck with any treatment ?
I'm not quite sure if this will help but....

I have a long term torn rotator cuff injury which gives me trouble when I'm doing physical stuff. For me the pain starts just below the point of the shoulder and radiates down the outside of the arm to just beyond my elbow. What I do to counter this is wear compression support which covers that whole area, whenever I'm doing anything menial, including riding. It really makes a difference and while i need to mindful of that arm, it doesnt for the most part stop me from doing what I want. Good luck with it.
Old 09-10-2016
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:

Ive started doing more light squats
Supposed to increase the testosterone which is dropping after 40.
Doing squats, there's a serious testosterone problem.
Old 10-10-2016
dbw Pro Legend

I have noticed a weakness in the right shoulder when using dumbells and doing chest flys.

I found this website for self diagnosis of shoulder issues - I haven't been able to find match yet but will go through them

https://breakingmuscle.com/strength-...-shoulder-pain

Jakobi - I do CAD work on computer mostly all day so it could be related to this

My father had a frozen shoulder but he was a chippie . My brother has had his joint cleaned up as he was having issues raising the arm and they removed some of the rough bits to keep gap .
Mine makes a bit of crunching or clicking when lowered .
Seems to be the Acromium that is sore.
I suppose I will have to see a doc if it doesn't do away -
Old 10-10-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
I've been watching guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I have an office job, and the extended hours spent sitting in front of a computer swinging a mouse is harder on my body than doing something physical. Getting out and using the body is what makes me feel better.
Me same.

Quote:
My father had a frozen shoulder...Mine makes a bit of crunching or clicking when lowered.
Sounds like a ligament/tendon issue causing a mis-alignment Campy, see a good shoulder guy mate, if you leave those things you'll get long-term aching there.

Tony G on DBW might be able to offer a solution, he's a very good Physio.
Old 10-10-2016
DBW Clubman

I'm left handed, but it's my right elbow that has the torn ligament tendon or whatever.

That kills the belting off theory.

I had a cortisone injection with an ultrasound to show exactly where to shoot the juice and aye it might have worked.

I'd suffered it for years and went to bike territory and rode2.5 days solid a week after the injection.

I stopped doing push ups ( was doing 100 in one go three times a week ) and I think that helped.

When you get old and you're half shagged before you even start riding, you need to be really really careful about what exercise you do.

I've found that out the hard way. I have to say even after just a few weeks the rowing machine has given me the biggest improvement in endurance.
Old 10-10-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Lots of good advice here, one other thing, do you have a personal trainer ?
I have seen lots of niggling injuries mostly from poor form in the gym, when you get older I think it is even more important.
I recently tweaked my shoulder through a tiny slow fall in a creekbed, took 2 months of using very light weight if any, and deleted a couple exercises till it came good.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2016
dbw Pro Legend

I don't use one currently but have occasionally and even though I started going to gyms over 30 years ago they help but are expensive .
I also find I know my own body the best .

I find videos on facebook are quite good for ideas and tips

Most gyms don't show people how to use weights and its a problem for sure.
I was just at the gym watching others with no idea so I know what you mean .

I think the posture and computer ( mouse) useage is possibly the cause but set off by trying new things at the gym

When doing pull ups Ive realised I cant lift my body weight ( increasing ) as easily as I used to and it puts a big strain on joints/ ligaments ?

I need to build up strength on the machines
Old 10-10-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Yep I can't justify paying them either, the gym I use had pt review of 15 mins once a month, good for new exercises, advice and technique appraisal, canned it a couple years ago, which I think was a mistake.
I'm 56, suffer from ankylosing spondylitis and also an L5 disc problem, without exercise and strength training I would not be riding dirtbikes,,,,,,,,probably not walking too weel even haha
Yeah you get to know your body after a while, takes me a while but I work out what exercises etc help my chosen activity and work on them.
Spend heaps of time on youtube searching for new and hol stuff and how I should be doing it.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2016
dbw Pro Addict

With the work setup it helps if you can keep the mouse in close to your body to avoid reaching and use as sparingly as possible. The ergo peeps we have come through work every couple of years also suggest avoiding the use of any of those soft/wrist support pads, and to run your keyboard more flat (stands retracted).

For me personally, I find the best position is a chair that's slightly reclined, no head support or anything that pushes the head forward, and no arm/elbow supports as with these I really tend to lean down on either side and load the shoulders and neck muscles up.

I also keep a couple of those resistance bands in the draw at work and use them periodically. You'll find light resistance and stretching probably more beneficial than weights, both for maintenance, pain relief and for riding too.
Old 10-10-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Thanks - unfortunately I use the mouse all the time . May need to try left handed . ( yes I know that's another joke cue)
I have a gel rest for my hand to sit on which is quite good . I ve changed to a higher seat to get a better arm position .