dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 17-10-2016
DBW Dweller

Wr250 brake light - trailtech stator

Hi,

Q1 my 08 wr250f brake light only works on low beam. Nearly failed rego this year? Works ok on low beam. It appears high beam sucks the juice from the brake light. Any ideas how to fix it?

Q2 the ac wiring is rubbish. Was thinking of getting a trail tech staotor apparently dc 100 watt output, has anyone used one of these. Thanks.

Thanks
Brett
Old 17-10-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt3fiddy View Post
Q1 my 08 wr250f brake light only works on low beam. Nearly failed rego this year? Works ok on low beam. It appears high beam sucks the juice from the brake light. Any ideas how to fix it?
Check your wiring. The tail light is a DC piece of equipment and runs off the DC side of the rec/reg. The AC bus shouldn't affect the tail-light circuit.

Quote:
Q2 the ac wiring is rubbish.
The AC wiring is fine. My guess is, the bike has an electrical issue. The wiring is AC to the headlight for sound technical reasons. 08-10 WR-F250s had rec/reg issues. I used to swap them out for a more robust equivalent from Road and Race M/C in Wyong NSW

http://roadandrace.com.au/
Old 18-10-2016
DBW Dweller

Thanks nutty. I will post a pic where a wire has been cut and soldered piggybacked into the headlight to see if that is normal adr harness for that model. Im the 4th owner .

Id be interested in why its sound to have the headlight ac. As i previously owned a 6 volt tt yammy that had the same variations with revving and light intensity fluctuation or blinker speed. Although when the battery was fresh in the old tt it seemed too smooth things out a lot more compared to my new sled.

Thanks
Brett
Old 18-10-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:

Id be interested in why its sound to have the headlight ac.

Thanks
Brett
Yamaha's use tungsten-halogen headlamps which get about 400% longer life when supplied with AC. The losses associated with changing the AC generated from the alternator to DC are also negated.

Modern automotive design (especially GP Sports Cars) is to keep the DC demand as low as possible and use AC for the lighting.

This type of design might need to be abandoned due to the continuing development of high-penetration l.e.d. lighting.
Old 27-10-2016
DBW Dweller

Sent from my SM-G900I using Dirt Bike World mobile app
Hi nutty see attached photos previous owner has cut yellow wire from front brake switch and resoldered onto white sheathed wire from rear and jumped the red also soldered in too that joint then jumpedacross to the green on the adr headlight. Is this normal for the adr loom????
Old 27-10-2016
DBW Dweller

Old 27-10-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Hi nutty see attached photos previous owner has cut yellow wire from front brake switch and resoldered onto white sheathed wire from rear and jumped the red also soldered in too that joint then jumpedacross to the green on the adr headlight. Is this normal for the adr loom????
Sounds like he's looped the AC and DC looms.

I always set up WRs so that only the rear brake switch switches the tail light.

The front brake switch was made redundant and saved for ADR purposes if needed.

This keeps the AC loom to the headlamps separate from the frame and the DC loom.

We had lots of issues with riders getting AC shocks through the front brake levers on WRs. Keeping the AC loom solely to the headlamp solved the problem.

Hope that helps. There is a supplementary race-kit schematic that comes with WRs, I'll see if I can dig one up.
Old 27-10-2016
DBW Dweller

yep thanks, I read a bit about the front brake switch. I havent got photo posting pic rights as yet. I'll have a fiddle with it all and see how I go, I have a enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous .

This info has pit me on track, just need to sit down with a beer and circuit diagram and track it all back. One day i'll own a new dirtbike so I can butcher it from scratch....
Old 29-10-2016
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Hi,

Q2 the ac wiring is rubbish. Was thinking of getting a trail tech staotor apparently dc 100 watt output, has anyone used one of these. Thanks.

Thanks
Brett
I had the Trailtech stator and rectifier kit installed on my 2004 after my stock rectifier went bad. I liked the kit for the following reasons:
- I liked that all my lights were running on DC power so then they didn't fluctuate with the RPMs.
- I could also turn on the lights without having the bike actually running which I think is good for on road safety in the event the bike stalls at night.
- The 100 watt output meant my battery would recharge very fast which is great when you are riding gnarly terrain and you need to keep restarting the bike after dropping it a thousand times and the terrain is too steep to use the kickstarter.
Old 02-11-2016
DBW Dweller

Thanks mountain man, i like the idea of it. Did it just 'bolt on, lr was there a lot of rooting around.

Nutty, i 'fixed' it appears that for some reason the brake circuit power was jumped from low beam headligh socket across too the front brake wire, and the original yellow return wire cut. Hence high beam acted as a switch for the brake lights, why, i'm puzzled. After rejoining the yellow onto the wire joining front and rear switches (white cover red wire??) wire, it works. I did see one fix re the shock issue about using the headlight, maybe that was it....hit high beam too turn it off. Anyway this white red wire runs from front too rear so appears an add on as well as its not taped in with blinkers etc. It works anyway