dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 11-11-2016
dbw Pro

I have done a couple of shim adjustments in the 16,000 km so the cam has been out a couple of times , memory says it has a rounded end on the decomp button , but my memory has been screwed about by clinical depression these last few years , so I no longer trust it too much .

I just came down to the house from my shed after bolting the back end back on my WR , all new bearings , seals and pivot shafts for the wheels and linkage and swing arm too , I wanna ride it now , not work on it some more , looks like the next ride will be a kick start event ......... a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do !
Old 29-12-2016
dbw Pro

Well , the postman dumped a package on my veranda this morning as I was finishing my coffee , it was from the U arse of A . Upon opening the package I found a new Exhaust cam ....... so I went up to my shed and started pulling the bike to pieces , got down to having the cams removed before the temperature just got too bloody hot , the house air cond thermostat says 41 deg currently here in Warners Bay . So the wrenching will have to wait till it cools down a bit .

I can report that the Hot Cams cam and my now removed cam are different , so the one I removed is a stocker I assume . I see what Nutty means by saying the position of the decomp pin is rotated , the cylinder pressure will be realsed earlier in the crank rotation giving less resistance to the engine spinning up to starting speed . Hope it is all it needs to begin starting from the button again .
Old 10-01-2017
dbw Pro

Well , my auto decomp is working again, but the bike still will not start off the button . Time to rip the carby to tiny pieces and sort out what is happening in there .
Old 11-01-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Is it cranking fast enough? Starter motor probably needs a rebuild or replacement after 16k kms.
Old 16-01-2017
dbw Pro

It's cranking plenty fast enough to start , I am having trouble kick starting it now too , done a carb pull down and clean . Going to go through everything thoroughly over the next week or so and see what I can find wrong , after I put another new plug in it ......... the plug may be the culprit , I have seen that before , a new plug that is a dud .
Old 17-01-2017
dbw Pro

Almost back in one piece .......... has a new plug , a JD jetting needle + main jet combo as well as a new low speed jet . The cam timing is a bit iffy , the dot on the Exhaust lined up with the head surface has the inlet marker either a few mm above the surface or a few mm below the surface depending on which tooth on the chain it sits in . Is there a known number of pins from the top marker ( Punch mark at 12 o clock ) on the exhaust cam to the same on the inlet cam ?

I counted 12 pins between....... with the inlet cam marker just below the cam cover surface .
Old 17-01-2017
DBW Clubman

A stretched timing chain can make the marks a little off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-01-2017
dbw Pro

Success , I finished cable tying all the wiring up this morning and put the fuel tank back on . A couple of cranks with the choke on and she fired into life using the button for the first time in about 12 months . Thank you to Nutty and all others who offered knowledge and support through this process of repair and restoration . I can now go riding in a group and not have to curse the leader when he stops at the bottom of a hill .