dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-12-2016
ggg's Avatar
ggg ggg is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Adelaide N.E
Posts: 2,533
for SA conditions
bridgestone X 40 rear $100 pick up at peter stevens just as good as the old 404

fronts take your pick
Michy Starcross at the pooraka tires 90/90 are $79 and great grip just about all time fav.

i have a pirella extra 90/100 from torpedo 7 $89 delivered they are ok i would say good grip not the best out there but a consistent front, with above average grip
__________________
Total Entertainment 14 250 now 300 kitted
Huskly lovin bike whore
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-12-2016
edward05 edward05 is offline
DBW Clubman
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
for SA conditions
bridgestone X 40 rear $100 pick up at peter stevens just as good as the old 404

fronts take your pick
Michy Starcross at the pooraka tires 90/90 are $79 and great grip just about all time fav.

i have a pirella extra 90/100 from torpedo 7 $89 delivered they are ok i would say good grip not the best out there but a consistent front, with above average grip

Was at northern motorcycles today in Port Agusta today while on lunch break dropped in to see how my bike was going, Valves are prefect, They dont need work

Mentioned i needed new tires phil mentioned the pirella MX Extra X he has both there front and rear seen them they look alright tempted to give them a shot and see how i go with them

Pirelli Scorpion MX Extra X 120/100-18 Mid Rear Tyre
Pirelli scorpion Mx Extra X 80/100-21 Mid Front Tyre
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-12-2016
capri70's Avatar
capri70 capri70 is offline
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,375
Try the Michy starcross 5.

120/90-18 medium rear
90/100-21 soft front

The medium rear works in just about all conditions, and the soft front seems to last well beyond what you would expect.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-12-2016
edward05 edward05 is offline
DBW Clubman
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by capri70 View Post
Try the Michy starcross 5.

120/90-18 medium rear
90/100-21 soft front

The medium rear works in just about all conditions, and the soft front seems to last well beyond what you would expect.
Can you explain what the diff is between a soft front and med ? i know alot of people concentrate more on a front then a rear for some reason'


The tires i have on now i fu88888 hate them to a pasion

Dunlop D909 Geomax enduro current


Can get these tires


Michelin Starcross 5 90/100-21 57M Soft Front Tyre

Michelin Starcross 5 110/100-18 64M Medium Rear Tyre

Was looking for 120/90-18 medium rear cannot find it on mxstore but my mate at the shop has the above good ?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-12-2016
numroe numroe is offline
DBW Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
I want to try a 90/100 (tall) front. Never used one. Thinking Mich SC5 medium or Bridgestone X30 medium. Needs to work with Tubliss and I want tough side knobs. So thinking X30 because Mich say their sidewalls are very flexible (not good for low pressure and Tubliss).

Anyone had good/bad experience with Mich SC5 fronts using Tubliss?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-12-2016
cluffie cluffie is online now
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: melbourne
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by numroe View Post
I want to try a 90/100 (tall) front. Never used one. Thinking Mich SC5 medium or Bridgestone X30 medium. Needs to work with Tubliss and I want tough side knobs. So thinking X30 because Mich say their sidewalls are very flexible (not good for low pressure and Tubliss).

Anyone had good/bad experience with Mich SC5 fronts using Tubliss?

x30 is definately the better tubliss option of the two tyres for the front. It has a tougher carcass for better puncture resistance and can be ridden slowly when flat compared to the sc5 if you need to and it also wears better in dryer conditions. Grip although not quite as good as the sc5 is very good. x30 side knobs last pretty well and don't break off or rip to much and will easily last all summer.
Although all tyres can be punctured the sc5 carcass tends to tear and punctures quite easily with tubliss compared to other tyres, in my experience. uhd tubes would be the best option for the sc5.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-12-2016
cluffie cluffie is online now
dbw Pro Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: melbourne
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward05 View Post
Can you explain what the diff is between a soft front and med ? i know alot of people concentrate more on a front then a rear for some reason'


The tires i have on now i fu88888 hate them to a pasion

Dunlop D909 Geomax enduro current


Can get these tires


Michelin Starcross 5 90/100-21 57M Soft Front Tyre

Michelin Starcross 5 110/100-18 64M Medium Rear Tyre

Was looking for 120/90-18 medium rear cannot find it on mxstore but my mate at the shop has the above good ?

Definately get the 120 rear mate. It wears better,turns nearly as well as the 110 and is better in dry conditions and for hillclimbs.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-12-2016
numroe numroe is offline
DBW Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluffie View Post
x30 is definitely the better tubliss option of the two tyres for the front. ...
Thanks. Great feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-01-2017
numroe numroe is offline
DBW Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluffie View Post
x30 is definately the better tubliss option of the two tyres for the front....
I took your advice and bought a X30 front and it seems great so far on my 2004 YZ250. With Tubliss. I got the large 90/100 size. Seeking more compliance on the rough/sharp stuff, and more grip on the real hard surfaces. It seems good at both these things. Very happy with it. It seems like a great all rounder with few weaknesses. Thanks.

It also steered great in soft wet sand. Not sure how much that's because of the X30 design or due to the larger size.

The fat tyre does make the steering feel a little bit less precise or responsive, but I don't mind that. My 2 stroke always feels easy to turn and I'm much happier with a more planted and predictable feeling from the front end. It's fun when you expect something weird to happen and it just doesn't.

My previous tyre was the Dunlop AT81F in the 90/90 size. Which actually measures closer to an 80/100 size. The AT81 was not worn down much but thoroughly roughed over. In comparison the X30 on hard ground feels more predictable as I lean it over in corners and really good bit when front braking. On soft sand I think my X30 just feels bigger and floats higher.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-01-2017
Nutty's Avatar
Nutty Nutty is offline
The "One" and only
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Worlds only above-ground Cemetary
Posts: 10,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by capri70 View Post
Try the Michy starcross 5.

120/90-18 medium rear
90/100-21 soft front

The medium rear works in just about all conditions, and the soft front seems to last well beyond what you would expect.
Seņor Freeepy, where are you sourcing these tyres?
Cheers.
__________________
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
irc tire's ?????? yourjoken General Bike Related Discussion 11 10-03-2015 10:00 PM
Trials Tire v Traditional Tire dionalessi General Bike Related Discussion 30 13-02-2014 03:48 PM
Day time ! night time ! LED spot lights ! Easy install. rabskyline Electrical Forum 3 17-09-2013 09:33 PM
I'm looking for a part time or maybe full time web designer/technician. walks Off Track Talk 13 30-08-2013 10:05 AM
Can I put a 110/90 tire on a 1.85 rim? Website tire rim chart says I shouldn't... Paul1212 General Bike Related Discussion 0 02-07-2007 02:54 AM



All times are GMT +11. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.